Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 02:08   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dexc28
18 Male looking to crew

Hi

My name is Declan and i'm a young Australian/British Backpacker. I'm currently based in Canada and have been here working and skiing for the last 5 months. I am spending two years slowly making my way around the world working and volunteering where possible. I am looking to crew on any type or size of yacht leaving from Canada/USA heading to any country or countries along the way, preferably Europe though. I am an experiences small yacht/dingy sailor of 7 years, these are the following boats i have captained and crewed:

Mirror: Learnt on, crewed on competed in many State races.

Open Bic: Sailed and raced in open ocean and harbour racing.

420: Races and competed in many various races around Tasmania.

470: Races and competed in many various races around Tasmania.

Hobie 14 & 16: both helmed solo and with a crew in Various races.

Various Yachts between 20-30ft at the wednesday night racing: both helm and crew.

I understand i do not have many qualifications or experience on bigger yachts or prolonged open ocean trips, however i am extremely keen to learn and i am a fast learner. The biggest motivation behind sailing as a form of transport between countries is that i wish to own a yacht and live aboard as soon as i have completed university and have a stable job. Following that i am going to the Australian Maritime Collage for ocean seafaring in hopes of captioning cruise liners and/or cargo ships and eventually gaining my marine pilots license.

I understand my age is a limiting factor in the decision of including me on your trip or looking at me as a possible crew member but i would like to include these following skills not as a form of boasting but as a way of saying that i am able to look after myself and help to maintain the yacht.

-Skilled cook, cooking has always been a passion of mine and i have worked in a gourmet deli helping in the kitchen when needed to prepare and cook food for sale. I also worked in the top function centre in my home Town as a Bartender but also waiting and helping to plate and prepare food for over 250 guests. I have a reference from the function centre if needed.

-Clean, I spent 3 months working in Housekeeping in a hotel and was part of the crew when we were awarded with a housekeeping award and won staff member of the month.

-Nights, I am able to work nights without the risk of falling asleep, I currently work as a night audit full time at two hotels.

-comfortable in stormy weather, i have helmed in many races where i was often the last boat out competing due to storms or excess wind, i'm not trying to convey a reckless attitude rather i am comfortable when the waves get big and the wind picks up a bit, safety is my number one concern.

-Experience with kids: I come from a large family of 10 kids (parents broke up and re married) i am more then fine looking after little kids and Animals, i grew up on a small hobby farm and have hands on experience with motorbike motors, car motors (my motor experience is mostly limited to my dirt bike) as well as helping to build sheds and doing fencing around the property. I also have a tiny bit of experience welding but i'm not that good at it.

-Manual Labour: i am a keen and avid hiker, i am willing to carry the backpack if you are not able to or do heavy manual labour like carrying food supplies or fuel at ports. I have been on many 1-2week walks in Tasmania, traveling and the world is my biggest passion.

The preferred leaving date would be after August however i would be willing to leave earlier granted an opportunity came up that allowed that. I will be on the road for two years so if you need a willing, hard working crew feel free to contact me on the forum or by email clark.declan2@gmail.com no matter when or the destination and if i am in the area i would be willing to help out.

If you need any more information feel free to Email me to set up a Skype interview or communicate in email.

Kind regards and happy sailing.

Declan

Tags
crew