Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 17:35   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Soldboat report, please?

Are there any commercial members out there willing to run a soldboat report for me? I'm looking for data on US sales of a particular boat model over the last six months. I think about three of these boats have sold. I would be happy to pay a token fee.
I could ask the selling broker for this, but I would prefer to get the info from an independent source.
Thanks, Tom
Old 24-11-2012, 18:48   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
Re: Soldboat report, please?

Wow, a token fee for a soldboat report...almost as good as the guy looking to pay for someone to look at a boat for him. Pm / post / email me your search details. I'll give your donation based yacht brokering a go. RJ
Old 24-11-2012, 19:23   #3

Boat: S2 11.0
Have to say paying someone to do a rudimentary boat inspection on my behalf (since the boat was more than 1000 miles away) was the best money I've spent in a long time. I think seeking the help and guidance of fellow CFera is what this forum is all about.
Old 24-11-2012, 20:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
Have to say paying someone to do a rudimentary boat inspection on my behalf (since the boat was more than 1000 miles away) was the best money I've spent in a long time. I think seeking the help and guidance of fellow CFera is what this forum is all about.
It's very smart to pay a NAMS/SAM surveyor for an hour or two of his/her time before you travel to see a boat.

I'd get yourself a broker if you're dealing with boats on the brokerage market. It costs you nothing and there's no reason to deny yourself representation.
Old 24-11-2012, 20:35   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
Are there any commercial members out there willing to run a soldboat report for me? I'm looking for data on US sales of a particular boat model over the last six months. I think about three of these boats have sold. I would be happy to pay a token fee.
I could ask the selling broker for this, but I would prefer to get the info from an independent source.
Thanks, Tom
A soldboat report is a soldboat report regardless of who runs it. Ask your broker it will be the same report.
Old 24-11-2012, 20:48   #6

This forum is amazing. I have what I need. Thank you for your offers and your help.
Tom
Old 24-11-2012, 21:12   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nothing wrong for wanting all the Info on the boat ya want to buy!! The more the better! a listing of sold boat prices would be a big help in makeing a fair offer! I have looked at boats for folks for a long time ! never charged anyone yet! And I think the facts about the boats Ive looked at have helped a few folks over the years ! Glad ya got what ya wanted!
Old 25-11-2012, 04:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

As this info is reported by the sellers and brokers I always figure you can't completely trust these number. Gives you something of a benchmark anyway.
Old 25-11-2012, 12:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
A soldboat report is a soldboat report regardless of who runs it. Ask your broker it will be the same report.
The report will only be the same if the criteria is set the same. There are a number of parameters that can be set.
Old 25-11-2012, 17:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
The report will only be the same if the criteria is set the same. There are a number of parameters that can be set.
Islandplanet makes an important point. Subtle changes in criteria can dramatically alter a soldboat report. I experienced this when two brokers provided me with reports on similar Bene 393s, with one of the reports listing primarily high value sales. It turns out, one of the criteria is selling price range, which can be used by a deceptive broker to excluded boats that sold below a certain price. Other criteria are not so obvious, but also affect which boats show up in a report.
Old 25-11-2012, 19:11   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340

Islandplanet makes an important point. Subtle changes in criteria can dramatically alter a soldboat report. I experienced this when two brokers provided me with reports on similar Bene 393s, with one of the reports listing primarily high value sales. It turns out, one of the criteria is selling price range, which can be used by a deceptive broker to excluded boats that sold below a certain price. Other criteria are not so obvious, but also affect which boats show up in a report.
I assumed you were using a broker you trusted. I always recommend a buyer's broker for this reason.
Old 25-11-2012, 19:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

The broker should explain the criteria he or she used. Typical choices are:
Production year range IE: 1992-1996 might be chosen for a 1994 model comparison
Geographic: This can be states or multi-state regions. It can also be limited to something as small as a single city.
Fuel type: Useful when comparing older boats that came with either gas or diesel
Hull material: For broader searches, you might want to specify fiberglass only so as not to introduce wood or ferro boats. (Not meant as criticism of those materials - just a typical search goal)
Date sold: Date range for results. If you're looking at a late model boat, say a 2007 model, it really doesn't make sense to go back to 2007 or 2008 in the search as the boat was practically new or was new. Consider market conditions and economy. Results prior to 2008 or 2009 may be much different because lending conditions were much more liberal. For instance, in early 2008, I could get a non-documented loan on a 30+ year old boat. Today I couldn't get a loan on any 30+ year old boat because those lenders either got out of the business like Key Bank. So resale on older boats is a lot different than it used to be since it's become a cash only market.

As Doodles mentions, a buyers broker can be a valuable asset. Why not have someone in your corner?