Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 09:03   #1

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Monitor Windvane large paddle

On my last offshore trip I had my large Monitor Windvane paddle come loose and blow off during the night.

I was wondering if anybody might have one that they might like to sell. I have found a new one I can buy for $75.

Thanks

Taildraggerdriver
Old 25-11-2013, 09:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Monitor Windvane large paddle

The paddle is just corrugated plastic with tape around the edges. I had a specialty plastic shop rip suitable plastic into proper width out of scrap stock and then I cut it to fit the clamp on the vane. Got 4 blanks for way less than your one proprietary vane.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The paddle is just corrugated plastic with tape around the edges. I had a specialty plastic shop rip suitable plastic into proper width out of scrap stock and then I cut it to fit the clamp on the vane. Got 4 blanks for way less than your one proprietary vane.
Mine has a couple of what look like aluminum rods run part-way up inside the paddle (inside the corrugations). I assume this is for stiffness, and to keep the clamp from crushing the paddle. If you make your own paddle, be sure to get the weight and balance right. This can make a big difference in light air.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 25-11-2013, 10:09   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Ever since they switched to the reinforced plastic they now recommend using the smaller vane for 99% of conditions since it is more responsive.

So, if you your small one is the old wooden one, maybe you should just get a new plastic small one instead.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Ever since they switched to the reinforced plastic they now recommend using the smaller vane for 99% of conditions since it is more responsive.

So, if you your small one is the old wooden one, maybe you should just get a new plastic small one instead.
I think you've got that backwards. The large plastic light-air vane is more responsive, and the Monitor manual indicates that this is the preferred vane for all but very heavy winds. This is also what Hans told me when I bought my Monitor.

To the OP, sorry, no leads on a replacement. I need mine!
www.sailvalis.com
Old 25-11-2013, 10:31   #6

I actually have the small plastic one now. But it dose seem like after loosing one I would like to have a spare, I suppose I could just make a copy of the small one then I would not have the problem of getting a drawing of the large one to make a copy.

How critical is the weight and balance of the copy?
Thanks
Old 25-11-2013, 11:32   #7

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

For the OP, this will be in the "closing the barn door after the horse runs away" category, but still - other's may find it useful:

For our Monitor I drilled a small hole near the paddle's trailing edge, down close to the attachment point, and added a thin lanyard. After mounting the paddle I tie the lanyard to the weight bracket.

Although I've no wind tunnel testing results re any impact on performance I'm quite happy with the rig.

James
Old 25-11-2013, 11:41   #8

Thanks svmariane.

I will definitely will do that in the future. I should have thought of that before, but experience teaches us all kinds of lessons.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I think you've got that backwards. The large plastic light-air vane is more responsive, and the Monitor manual indicates that this is the preferred vane for all but very heavy winds. This is also what Hans told me when I bought my Monitor. To the OP, sorry, no leads on a replacement. I need mine!
Hrmmmmm, when I read that manual I interpret it as saying to use the small one for most conditions......
Old 26-11-2013, 08:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Hrmmmmm, when I read that manual I interpret it as saying to use the small one for most conditions......
Hans (Scanmar's owner) told me they used to consider the small vane as the "normal" one, and the large plastic one as the "light air" vane. They have since discovered that the big plastic vane works better than the small vane, at least up to very strong winds. I've used mine in 35-40 kts with no problem. I suppose could have misunderstood what Hans told me, but to my reading the current manual (on-line at Scanmar) also supports my theory.

Both of my vanes have a short safety-line lanyard that I tie to the counterweight assembly.

Here's another Monitor tip: Make sure the bolts that clamp the "breakaway" tube (between the in-the-water oar and the rest of the windvane) are torqued very tightly. The current tube diameter was slightly reduced from the original design, and if the clamping is not very tight there will be a stress point where the tube slides into the clamp. I lost two breakaway tubes before Hans told me what was going on. When the tube broke we were under heavy conditions, but there were no debris impacts. Since I've tightened the clamp we have put several thousand more miles in the Monitor with no problems.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 17-01-2014, 07:14   #11

I had a friend trace his large vane for me. I want to get one made.

Can anyone give a description or name of the kind of plastic used to make the wind vane paddles or some way to make sure I get an equivalent.

Thanks
Old 17-01-2014, 07:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
I had a friend trace his large vane for me. I want to get one made.

Can anyone give a description or name of the kind of plastic used to make the wind vane paddles or some way to make sure I get an equivalent.

Thanks
Weirdly enough, it seems the same double-glazed plastic I have on my greenhouse!!
Old 18-01-2014, 06:26   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

I have the OEM paddles and - oddly enough - they seem to be made of the same stuff I buy at Utrecht art supplies: Stratocore Corrugated Polypropylene Board. Great stuff!
Old 18-01-2014, 09:15   #14

Boat: Tayana 37

One more thing: remember the lower 10" or so of the paddles needs to be reinforced with a couple of little steel rods to spread the load

Tags
monitor, wind, windvane