Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07   #1

Boat: Not yet!
Looking to try sailing.

Looking to charter a boat with skipper off coast of Florida or Bahamas in spring. Family of four, myself, husband and 16 year old twin boys. I have been looking at all of the charter companies, and the focus seems to be on fancy linens and gourmet food. We are a family planning on making the transition to live-aboard in two years, and want to experience a week on a boat prior to moving forward with that commitment. Looking to do some sailing, snorkeling, and whatever else a week in warm water brings. We cook, we clean and we want to have a great time and can pay for it. Please reply if you can accommodate, or know someone who can. NOT interested in investing the price of a mid sized car however.... We don't know much about sailing, but expect to work.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Looking to try sailing.

Its not as warm a place but the Annapolis sailing school and the Maryland school of sailing and seamanship both offer weekend and weeklong classes. I took my kids on a weekend one but I think both do family excursions and can set up custom needs. I am just a student from both.
Old 01-03-2015, 14:41   #3
cruiser

For what you say you're wanting, a sailing school sounds like the go.

Reef Runner Sailing School is in Panama City and Key Largo. Call Pete Wodraska and see what he has to say. Reef Runner Sailing School in Panama City & Key Largo, FL
Old 01-03-2015, 14:53   #4

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Normally I would suggest Captain Ron for something like this but I don't know if he's still available.
Old 01-03-2015, 15:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by huttosteph View Post
Looking to charter a boat with skipper off coast of Florida or Bahamas in spring. Family of four, myself, husband and 16 year old twin boys. I have been looking at all of the charter companies, and the focus seems to be on fancy linens and gourmet food. We are a family planning on making the transition to live-aboard in two years, and want to experience a week on a boat prior to moving forward with that commitment. Looking to do some sailing, snorkeling, and whatever else a week in warm water brings. We cook, we clean and we want to have a great time and can pay for it. Please reply if you can accommodate, or know someone who can. NOT interested in investing the price of a mid sized car however.... We don't know much about sailing, but expect to work.
Lake Mead Sailing Club is having a class on March 28. You'd be in a much more confident position to charter if you had some lessons under your belt. Only $75 each. I'm not affiliated in any way.

Learn to Sail the Nevada Yacht Club Way - Nevada Yacht Club -Lake Mead Sailing Club (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup

For complete beginners, I think it is a big ask to charter a boat so far away although Florida and the Bahamas are great.

We chartered twice in San Francisco. You guys could drive there. Wait a little longer until summer(warmer) while getting some experience and I bet you could charter your own 36 foot boat.

SFO bay has a ton of things to see in a week. We did Angel Island, China cove and then headed up the north bay. Technically you can also get to Napa.

Sail Plans on the charter fleet are short (small jibs) so even in "big wind" SFO it's not too challenging. The biggest challenge for you will be getting in and out of the marina without hitting anything.

Picture 1 - Overview of the boat at Sausolito. In mast furling of the main and furling jib - very easy to operate.
Picture 2 - Coming into Angle Island. Pick up a mooring ball, spend the night and go hiking.
Picture 3 - Motoring out of Sausolito
Picture 4 - Interior looking aft. After berth on left and head on right. galley foreground
Picture 5 - Looking forward. Salon and v-berth cabin
Picture 6 - Galley detail. two burner stove and oven. We bought and brought a 400w cheapie inverter to power everyone's gadgets.
Picture 5 - End of cruise. Everyone still smiling.
Picture 6 - Head detail. There is a shower but you have to be frugal with water. We also filled the head in 5 days. I don't think the water tank gauge or holding tank gauge were actually working. On the plus side fuel is included and we ran the engine a lot to keep the batteries up.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 89.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	98164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 101.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	98165  

Name:	Picture 115.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	98166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 122.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	98167  

Name:	Picture 124.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	98168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 127.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	98169  

Name:	Picture 5.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	98170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 126.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	98171  

Old 02-03-2015, 09:45   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by huttosteph View Post
Just sent you a private message
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49   #7

Boat: Shannon 38

Monohull? Out of the marina I moor at is Air Born charters. See sail charters

I don't know if he does week long charters or not.

Todd does catamaran charters, I can't think of his boat's name off hand, but he advertises through Facebook, and I know he's done week long charters. Google Crandon Marina and Biscayne Bay to find him.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Normally I would suggest Captain Ron for something like this but I don't know if he's still available.
Actually, he is alive and well. Last saw him at Pink Shell Marina, Ft. Myers Beach in Feb of this year(:>)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:07   #9

There are many ways to skin a cat, so to speak, but I'm having a few doubts about your approach. If you spend the week on the boat and love it, great. What if you spend the week and hate it? Will this tell you anything useful?

The first time I sailed in the main part of SF Bay, I hated it. The first time I went outside the Golden Gate, I puked my guts up. Now there is no place I'd rather be.

Learning to sail is a process, not a singularity. You advance in knowledge and ability, and thus confidence. My suggestion is to take some sailing courses, and by the time you are qualified to charter boats of reasonable size, you'll have a good idea of whether you still want to do it. There are lots of good sailing schools in California.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:57   #10

Boat: Rinker, Captiva 232 Runabout

My family of 6 is doing something similar, except in the Chesapeake, I know not the area you are looking for. We had planned on a trip out to DC area to visit family, and site see in DC, Annapolis, etc. Found a Lagoon 420, to stay on and will have a captain for the days that we want to sail (we are all newbies!). We will do all our own cooking.
Old 02-03-2015, 13:04   #11

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

Why don't you check out Boatbound? (https://boatbound.co/) Search for boats in your area that are "Captained" and work with the owner to arrange the type of trip you want. this is a new company what works like Uber or Air B&B to put owners together with renters - and both parties are insured once they sign-up.

Just a thought-
Old 05-03-2015, 21:04   #12

Boat: Fastback 43

Try southwest Florida yachts. They are not the fancy linens and gourmet food kind of place. I've chartered with then twice and have been pleased both times. They are cheaper than the fancy charter companies. The yachts are older, but well-maintained.

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-03-2015, 15:39   #13

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Lake Mead Sailing Club is having a class on March 28. You'd be in a much more confident position to charter if you had some lessons under your belt. Only $75 each. I'm not affiliated in any way.

Learn to Sail the Nevada Yacht Club Way - Nevada Yacht Club -Lake Mead Sailing Club (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup
That's a very good deal there! Good catch, Ex-CA!
Hutto, you should do this. You won't find anything cheaper than that and you're right close by.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:32   #14

Boat: Not yet!

Thank you! We are already signed up! One thing we have in nevada in March is usually an abundance of wind!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 19:50   #15

My husband and I are taking the course 28-29 too. We'll see you there! We are buying an older Morgan 41, of which will stay at Lake Mead. We are hoping to get comfortable with her until we feel confident enough to charter on the Pacific in a couple of years. Looking forward to it all! c ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
sail, sailing