Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 05:46   #1

Arrow Help Wanted: Expert Cabinet Maker Furniture Builder (Miami)

Job consists of fitting out an empty boat with nonstructural walls, cabinetry, showers, heads from lightweight, foam cored panels.

Job could include building custom, modern, lightweight furniture as well.

Your role is to build out luxurious looking finish work from lightweight materials, looking like the attached pictures in style.

Job can be up to full time, Mon-Fri.

Please have the ability to transport 4x8 sheets of finish material without damaging the faces.

Need a self starter with all the expertise and knowledge in cabinet making. Despite building the boat, I have no knowledge about the details of fine finish work. This is why you're being hired.

Please be reliable, honest and able to create beautiful, very modern looking finish work.

Job is on a boat, in the water.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kyoto-wood-coffee-table.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	118034   Click image for larger version

Name:	power-boats17Sunreef-70-Power-Exclusive-interior-70051.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	118035  

Old 17-02-2016, 12:18   #2

Re: Help Wanted: Expert Cabinet Maker Furniture Builder (Miami)

Still very much in need of help.
Old 17-02-2016, 13:24   #3

Since it's hard to find help, can anyone point me to sources for premade panels for showers and furniture looking like the pics above? Don't know where to source these, how to make them seamless at edges, etc. Need to be lightest weight possible cores.
Old 18-02-2016, 19:30   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Nice boat. There seem to be no cabinet makers in Miami. Come on up to Savannah GA. I know four cabinet makers here who work on boats. On top of that, Savannah's a nice place to be, and the winter is mild (we're getting 70 degree days) and it's breaking.
Old 18-02-2016, 20:49   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
...Despite building the boat, I have no knowledge about the details of fine finish work...
Somehow I must have missed or misunderstood this.

It seems you need a qualified cabinetmaker with his own shop in which to pre-build the interior. Though it is possible to do much/most of it in situ.

If you have the time, but lack the skills to continue with the interior, how about a basic tutorial in boat building, so you can do this yourself? There are specialized tools, like the Festool track saw, which could help you produce finish quality work. Start with a plan.
Old 19-02-2016, 03:10   #6

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

There have to be a ton of people that do that in S FL. More likely in Ft Lauderdale. Have you tried running a craigslist ad?
Old 19-02-2016, 03:55   #7

If it will help, I will tell you my plan.
I as you am no interior finisher.
I will be building my new boat, and then motoring up the Mississippi to the Ohio, and then into Ohio. I plan to hire an Amish furniture and cabinet maker and have them build the interior. They tend to be very inexpensive, and high quality work. They could probably build whatever your looking for.
Old 19-02-2016, 04:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
If it will help, I will tell you my plan.
I as you am no interior finisher.
I will be building my new boat, and then motoring up the Mississippi to the Ohio, and then into Ohio. I plan to hire an Amish furniture and cabinet maker and have them build the interior. They tend to be very inexpensive, and high quality work. They could probably build whatever your looking for.
That's a smart idea.
Old 19-02-2016, 05:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
There have to be a ton of people that do that in S FL. More likely in Ft Lauderdale. Have you tried running a craigslist ad?
Yep.

Ad was run as above.

2 responses.

First was a very high end cabinet making company who does multimillion dollar condos. Well out of budget.

Second was a regular guy I could have hired, but he took off after one look at the "tick stick" type of work involved.

A third was a boat craftsman who produces old fashioned looking hereshoff interiors, charging $10,000 to do a settee and a floor in a small Albin as his example.

None of those were the right fit.
Old 19-02-2016, 05:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Nice boat. There seem to be no cabinet makers in Miami. Come on up to Savannah GA. I know four cabinet makers here who work on boats. On top of that, Savannah's a nice place to be, and the winter is mild (we're getting 70 degree days) and it's breaking.
Possibly... do you have an idea of rates and if they can produce the Japanese style as pictured?
Old 19-02-2016, 05:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Somehow I must have missed or misunderstood this.

It seems you need a qualified cabinetmaker with his own shop in which to pre-build the interior. Though it is possible to do much/most of it in situ.

If you have the time, but lack the skills to continue with the interior, how about a basic tutorial in boat building, so you can do this yourself? There are specialized tools, like the Festool track saw, which could help you produce finish quality work. Start with a plan.
I have barely any free time, though I've started to try to order shower panels. Even sourcing materials is taking too much time...
Old 20-02-2016, 19:42   #12

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Possibly... do you have an idea of rates and if they can produce the Japanese style as pictured?
While you can get custom board room furniture, otherwise rates are low. I don't have the foggiest idea of Japanese style.

It would b e best if you came up here for a couple of days, with pictures and diagrams, and talk to people. When you get serious, PM me.
Old 20-02-2016, 19:53   #13

You don't need a cabinet maker, cabinet makers make square things for the most part. You need a shipwright with some knowledge of interior construction. Try posting adds a wooden boat building schools. There are some in Maine, and several in Wa state Ditto craigslist for both List it "Wanted shipwright" not cabinet maker. Somebody straight out of school will be looking for work and not to bummed about going to Florida. They are mostly dirty hippy types so living in a tent on your lawn is probably a option....
Old 20-02-2016, 20:53   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Job consists of fitting out an empty boat with nonstructural walls, cabinetry, showers, heads from lightweight, foam cored panels.

Job could include building custom, modern, lightweight furniture as well.

Your role is to build out luxurious looking finish work from lightweight materials, looking like the attached pictures in style.

Job can be up to full time, Mon-Fri.

Please have the ability to transport 4x8 sheets of finish material without damaging the faces.

Need a self starter with all the expertise and knowledge in cabinet making. Despite building the boat, I have no knowledge about the details of fine finish work. This is why you're being hired.

Please be reliable, honest and able to create beautiful, very modern looking finish work.

Job is on a boat, in the water.

if you want that quality of finish,plus use composite ,faced boards this is not a job that you can do onboard,due to the type of tools needed.

this type of interior is prebuilt in a workshop,then reassembled insitu.

you will not only need a shipright on the inside to assemble a skeleton of battening for your panels to attach to,but also an electrician and plumber to rum the mass of wiring and piping that lives behind all that panelling.

once the basic framework is done then you will be ready to start attaching your shop built interior.

this type of finish is achieved by the use of glued/ironed on laminates applied by a full 8x4 press for sheets,normally cut out by full sized programable cnc table router.

though a festool track saw might be useful,a full sized table saw would be essential,as well as band saw,router table,dado table,jointer,thickess planer,thickness sander,board sander etc

also a spray paint shop,and upholsters for the final furniture finish

any yard building to that standard would have the boat indoors,with a team of 4-6 people working full time for 3-6months with associated trades allocated slots in the build to install all the other stuff that goes into a build of that quality.
Old 20-02-2016, 21:27   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

That Festool track saw has revolutionized my shop.

Tags
builder, cabin, miami, wanted