Old 27-10-2014, 13:42   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32
Baja Filter

I would like to buy a Baja Filter
Old 28-10-2014, 07:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Baja Filter

Baja filters are good but very rare, we managed to get one second hand.

Have you looked at the West Marine filter about $28 IIRC, they claim it is as good as the Baja, I use one for outboard fuel and can confirm it does not let water through it
Old 28-10-2014, 08:26   #3

Thanks, maybe I'll have to do that.
Old 28-10-2014, 08:32   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

look into the west coast chandleries...downwind marine, san diego marine exchange. i think you will find th eprice lower than wm and the filter is a real baja one.. 2 sizes, large and small. good luck and happy shopping.
i use t-shirt rags for my fuel filtering. work fine. doubled is best.
Old 28-10-2014, 08:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Practical Sailor did a test on filters a few years ago and the West Marine unit came in at least as good if not better than the original Baja Filter.
Old 28-10-2014, 08:49   #6

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
I would like to buy a Baja Filter
Where are you going that you need one?

Many trips to and from western Mexico on many different boats and the only place I got dirty fuel was at a large commercial fuel dock in Newport, Oregon.

Between myself and the folks I cruised with in Mexico we have over 30 years of time spent fueling up in Central America and Mexico on at least 20 different boats. No one I know uses a Baja filter.

We had a Baja filter for 12 years and used it three times for testing purposes - it flows fuel so slowly that I found it impossible to use. The fastest we could move fuel thru it was about 3 GPM and we have 140 gallons of tankage.

Maybe this is an old issue but I still do not understand the need for a Baja filter.
Old 28-10-2014, 09:14   #7

Thanks all,
I have a leaking fuel tank in my IP32, and have stored 30 gals of fuel pumped from what was a very clean bilge. Since disposing of it in Kemah TX is a problem, I'm wondering if I can filter it, maybe twice, and reclaim the diesel? I welcome your comments.
Old 28-10-2014, 09:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Where are you going that you need one?

Many trips to and from western Mexico on many different boats and the only place I got dirty fuel was at a large commercial fuel dock in Newport, Oregon.

Between myself and the folks I cruised with in Mexico we have over 30 years of time spent fueling up in Central America and Mexico on at least 20 different boats. No one I know uses a Baja filter.

We had a Baja filter for 12 years and used it three times for testing purposes - it flows fuel so slowly that I found it impossible to use. The fastest we could move fuel thru it was about 3 GPM and we have 140 gallons of tankage.

Maybe this is an old issue but I still do not understand the need for a Baja filter.
I picked up bad fuel a couple of times in Florida and some really, really nasty stuff in Freeport (Bahamas, not TX) many years ago. I spent many hours draining the tanks, cleaning the tanks, flushing the lines, new filters, bleeding and hauling away the dirty fuel, all of which of course involved me covered with diesel and a couple of shirts and shorts that were never the same again.

That one event I would consider more that enough justification for using a filter which I will do in the future. At the very least run a few initial gallons through the filter to take a look.
Old 28-10-2014, 09:52   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
...We had a Baja filter for 12 years and used it three times for testing purposes - it flows fuel so slowly that I found it impossible to use. The fastest we could move fuel thru it was about 3 GPM and we have 140 gallons of tankage....
+1 on that. If you are at a fuel dock using the filter and people waiting for you, be prepared for some stress.
Most of the time I could not use mine unless I was fueling from jerry cans, and in the one it became a major PITA to use. I did pick up bad fuel in Spain that caused me a lot of grief, but due to how busy the fuel dock was, I would not have been able to use my baja anyway.
Old 28-10-2014, 10:19   #10

Boat: islandpacket

The Baja filter will get the chunks out but will not remove water. Also the water removing funnel filter will not remove water if you have added any fuel cleaner to Your fuel as the water is emulsified and flows right through.
Also check the Iphomeport for fellow owners. Great help source.
Old 28-10-2014, 11:13   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Thanks all,
I have a leaking fuel tank in my IP32, and have stored 30 gals of fuel pumped from what was a very clean bilge. Since disposing of it in Kemah TX is a problem, I'm wondering if I can filter it, maybe twice, and reclaim the diesel? I welcome your comments.
You can, but a Baja Filter is not the best solution. Find a fuel polishing service and have them polish it for you. Should be easy to find in Kemah.

I've done exactly this in the past. Run fuel from bilge thru a polishing system twice. First pass went directly from bilge into a spare tank. Second pass from spare tank back into the main tank. Quick, easy, and end result was very clean fuel.

I've used my Baja filter on suspect fuel in the past and its done a good job, but it won't remove a lot of water and/or imulsified water. If you have a lot of water in the fuel then plumbing a fuel water seperator in-line, or jury rigging one with a bucket and hose will work. But, if you are still in Kemah or other developed area why bother with a jury rig...just find a polishing service.
Old 29-10-2014, 03:01   #12

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Thanks all,
Unless you are really intent on keeping the fuel, just advertise it on craigslist for free, waste veggie oil people will be happy to come get it in a jiffy
Old 29-10-2014, 05:25   #13

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

My Baja will separate out the water, to some extent. It has a lip around the bottom and retains a cup or two of fuel (and/or water). I dump that into a container when I am done and see if there is any water.

I've had the thing over 20 years, and although I don't use it often, I am glad I have it. I almost exclusively fill my tank from jerry jugs, so speed is not of the essence.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-11-2014, 20:04   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

I have one in San Diego. I'm currently on the east coast but will be back in San Diego November 21 and ready to sell. PM me or email n8kraft@gmail.com
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46   #15

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

This is simply not true. We use our West Marine version religiously and examine the fuel that is in the filter after filling our tanks (we keep the residual in a small glass jar, for use as a cleaning agent) and there has at times been lots of water there, clearly removed from the fuel by the fine filter.

Why wouldn't you use a filter, and instead trust some stranger's fuel? In a hurry? Lazy? We've encountered enough people who got dirty diesel fuel, to make us believers in filters.

Tags
baja