Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 13:42   #31

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: A most difficult decision.

Yachtworld is only for Brokers but it is really the best place to advertise your unique vessel. I'll send you a PM maybe we can work out something to get your boat on Yachtworld.

David
Old 03-11-2015, 14:33   #32

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I had a feeling it could only be accessed by brokers, but I agree it is a major forum and gives the greatest international exposure.
I would be interested in talking to any broker who is prepared to be flexible.
I write my own website and took all the images on it. I believe I can made an outstanding presentation on Yachtworld.
Old 03-11-2015, 15:25   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

"We have become worn out with her, and this injury really has become a last straw"

Sorry for your injury but you will be better soon and you may deeply regret not finishing what you started with this entire boat project and sailing her. If you are tired, take a break while you're healing and get back to your boat when you're feeling better soon. Even if you're not feeling better, you may find yourself much happier doing your favorite things--like sailing.

You're old enough for some bad things to have happened to you in this life. Surely this is not the first time that you have been injured in a major way--it cannot be the first time that your body has been a (temporary or permanent) impediment to achieving your goals. If it is, you have been lucky in life and perhaps you're experiencing a bit of depression associated with realizing you're normal or even frail, like the rest of us. Having dealt with several odd-ball and major injuries I can tell you please do not let this injury get in your way in the long run, stand up to the challenges of your life and do your best to continue on--else you will be depressed and ultimately defeated.

If you are tired of the boat and project and don't wish to complete it, then it is another matter and perhaps selling makes sense.

Your boat shouldn't need a bow thruster at 22T, perhaps just take an experienced sailor you trust--someone who had dealt with single engine, long keeled, hard-to-turn-in-tight-quarters-boats--and have that sailor go out with you and demonstrate what you can do with your boat. You'll be glad you did. Your injury, while bad, doesn't have anything at all to do with this matter of close quarters maneuvering the boat. You'll get it sorted out with help from others, for sure.

Best of luck in either selling the boat or sailing her as you planned!
Fair winds,
Brenda
Old 03-11-2015, 15:55   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
"We have become worn out with her, and this injury really has become a last straw"

Sorry for your injury but you will be better soon and you may deeply regret not finishing what you started with this entire boat project and sailing her. If you are tired, take a break while you're healing and get back to your boat when you're feeling better soon. Even if you're not feeling better, you may find yourself much happier doing your favorite things--like sailing.

You're old enough for some bad things to have happened to you in this life. Surely this is not the first time that you have been injured in a major way--it cannot be the first time that your body has been a (temporary or permanent) impediment to achieving your goals. If it is, you have been lucky in life and perhaps you're experiencing a bit of depression associated with realizing you're normal or even frail, like the rest of us. Having dealt with several odd-ball and major injuries I can tell you please do not let this injury get in your way in the long run, stand up to the challenges of your life and do your best to continue on--else you will be depressed and ultimately defeated.

If you are tired of the boat and project and don't wish to complete it, then it is another matter and perhaps selling makes sense.

Your boat shouldn't need a bow thruster at 22T, perhaps just take an experienced sailor you trust--someone who had dealt with single engine, long keeled, hard-to-turn-in-tight-quarters-boats--and have that sailor go out with you and demonstrate what you can do with your boat. You'll be glad you did. Your injury, while bad, doesn't have anything at all to do with this matter of close quarters maneuvering the boat. You'll get it sorted out with help from others, for sure.

Fair winds,
Brenda
Jolly Roger,

I think the above is an extremely perceptive comment. What do you think of it?

Ann
Old 03-11-2015, 16:06   #35

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post

Fair winds,
Brenda
Wisdom here
Old 03-11-2015, 16:09   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
A most difficult decision.

I don't think you need to sell her either, but if that is your decision, I'd be broker shopping and let the Broker sell her. Be ready to pay someone to move her the the best place to sell her, and put her in a NICE marina. I know it shouldn't matter, but boats that were in nice marina's just "showed" better to me than the ones in fish camps.
Your right she is an unusual boat

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-11-2015, 06:56   #37

I want to respond individually to a couple of postings:
But first I want to say: I know this is my problem and people break their legs all the time. But while I’ve been stuck in this armchair for days, worrying about my boat down in Florida, the members of this forum have been fabulous in their support, and I thank you all wholeheartedly.

Schooner Chandlery.
Thanks for your perceptive comments and for taking the trouble to pen such a long note.
The second paragraph made me reflect. I actually haven’t ever broken anything, or been incapacitated like I now am. I’m eternally grateful for that, but I also think it has taken more out of me, precisely because I haven’t experienced it before. One of my friends has more steel in him than the Tin Man, through skiing accidents and careless adventures. So he doesn’t think it’s any big deal. But he has also never owned a boat and hasn’t a clue what it entails to handle one.
This is really the purport of this thread—whether I will be able to finish the jobs, then sail Britannia ourselves. We hoped to leave directly after Christmas for the Bahamas, so I should be much improved by then. But we’ll see.
I have handled many boats of this size and bigger, and I know what nasty things can happen in close quarters when short handed. I’ve often felt a bow thruster would help in these situations and in our case, now I think it would be a good buy. But if I feel the need for actual crew I will certainly get some help.
With regard to selling.
Like anyone who has put so much effort into their boat, there have been low times when I thought I didn’t want to carry on, but we worked through it. I’m just not sure if this is another of those times, but it’s certainly more momentous.
Like I’ve said, I don’t expect to be inundated with people clamoring to take her, and anyway, I can’t show her until I get back and clean her up. It’s blackbird season in Westland Marina, and anyone who’s been there knows what that means!
I’m therefore going to continue to market her and already posted a notice on my site. Just how far it goes remains to be seen. At the moment I’d let her go to the first buyer.
I almost cried reading Chandery’s signature. "The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner. " Robert Louis Stevenson—and now add Jolly Roger! At least I now have someone else to blame for the past five bloody years!!

Ann & Rustic Charm:
I completely agree, and I hope the above answers the question.

A64Pilot:
I’ve already had one broker contact me with a proposal for Yachtworld.
When I get back we need to move her anyway, because she’s bow-to at the moment and difficult to board even able bodied. I need her alongside, so I can then use some steps to board through the gate. Whether I feel the need to move her for esthetic reasons will depend on buyer response.

JR.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:24   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I'm so sorry for your injury!
Two things, well, three things I want to share.

I became very ill about 4 years ago, still am in many ways. At one point my hubby and I put our boat up for sale because i was completely bedridden. Within 4months we took her off as I became more and more mobile :-) ( Aqua therapy !!) Now we are one year into cruising the Bahamas, the only real adaption was we have to take on crew (friends) for certain legs of our trip. Swimming daily, sometimes several times a day, has made me stronger and much much happier. So point number 1, things will get better :-)

Point number 2, My dad sailed around the world at 70, don't ya know 70 is the new 50

And lastly, even if you sell your vessel, this is not the end of your adventure. Maybe buy a trawler or a cat? Or do what we did and ask crew aboard to help out.

I hope your recovery is fast and complete. Be sure to research and ask you doctor about Aqua therapy, it's benefits for knee injuries are many and it is so much less painful then land therapy. I looked forward to my therapy, though I was dead tired afterwards.

Hope that made sense, your vessel is gorgeous.
Hugs
Erika
Old 04-11-2015, 12:38   #39

Thanks so much Ocean Girl, for your encouraging story. I feel younger already.
I actually asked my physician about swimming and using the hot tub in my home. As you may know, I also have one on BRITANNIA—but doesn’t everyone?
He said I couldn’t do either until the wounds had totally healed, because of the risk of infection. I also think he was concerned about the steel expanding in a hot tub at 103 degrees.
Does anyone know the coefficient of Titanium by any chance?
You can be sure, as soon as the incisions have healed I will be in both, even if I have to hang my leg over the side of the tub.
I hope you too get completely better eventually.
JR
Old 04-11-2015, 13:00   #40

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

hardware will not get much warmer than your body temp. The only part you need to worry about is the centimeter spanning the fracture. Movement should be negligible.
Old 06-11-2015, 13:07   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've just been reading back through the posts here, and thinking about your situation.

As you have never had to deal with being incapacitated before (lucky you!), you may be experiencing a situational depression, a post traumatic stress sort of deal: your vulnerability has been crushingly brought to your attention.

One of the challenges of ageing is to find ways to maintain your quality of life while your physical competency dwindles. All of us who live to old ages have to cope with it. You are not alone. Trying to come to grips with this issue is one of the primary causes of depression among the elderly, or at least, so I was taught.

Still, it is a serious injury, and I suppose there's the possibility of further surgeries as time goes on.

Your best option here is to be really devoted to your physical therapy (as soon as you are allowed.) Anything else you can do to increase your healthiness is worth a shot, as well.

Good luck with it,

Ann
Old 06-11-2015, 13:59   #42

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

If this is your first time to lay up and lick ur wounds, you are a lucky guy. Give it 3 weeks to stabilize then get off the couch and get with it. Be radical about protecting the injured area but find ways to keep the rest in shape. Canoe maybe?

I have been broken enough times to be the baling wire and duct tape kid. That just means I'm slower and make funny noises when I move. Plus, I get to have a maniacal laugh when a new pain shows up.

Good luck with the recoup. I hope you get to keep ya boat.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 06-11-2015, 14:32   #43

I broke my ankle in three places on an island a few years ago, had to row out to the boat, raise the anchor by hand, take the boat home and row in from the mooring.

I was in a moon boot inside a week, out of crutches in six weeks, and back on the boat.

I appreciate a broken long bone will take more time, but nothing like a year.

Ankle was a bit stiff after bushwalking for a year or so, don't even notice it now.

On the other hand, I can understand how this injury has brought home the fragility of your situation, and the potential issues with only two people on a boat this size.

We are in our sixties, and realise our boat should be able to be single handed by either of us if we want to cruise for any length of time.

For us, a 36 foot cutter is as big as we can handle, so we have trimmed our accomodation needs down to that size boat. My wife would be happier with a 30 footer, but they are too small down below.
Old 06-11-2015, 14:35   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Jolly Roger,...
Great compassion and advice from our members here..... to not make a quick decision. :thumbup:

I think Ann made a very astute observation of what you are possibly experiencing.

Sh#t happens!

As you recover, you need to ask yourself , .....'what will motivate me the most, to keep this physical setback from atrophying into becoming an old man?...

For me it is looking after my own schooner, looking forward and navigating
my life as the captain, not the cargo.

Whatever you decide, make sure you have developed substitute goals.

Stay strong! .... Nick
Old 06-11-2015, 14:39   #45

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Jolly Roger, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I have admired Britannia for a while and I know she means a lot to you.

You have received so much good advice here that I can't really add very much. However, I would say to not be so hasty to sell Britannia. You have enough to deal with in healing. One more emotional thing makes it so much harder. If you don't have to part with her so soon, why not wait 'till you are feeling stronger? This is too big a decision to make when you are (physically and mentally) healing.

I have had some serious knee surgery and physical therapy helped me return to normal activities (except high level tennis). I single hand our IP32.

Please just take it one day at a time and don't make any important decisions right now. Many blessings to you and your lovely wife.