Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 17:18   #1

6-Person Life Raft - South Florida

Hello Everyone,
I am actually giving away a six person Avon liferaft. It is located in South Florida. Of course there is a catch. Here is the deal. It came off my 52 foot Yacht back in the mid-90s. It was repacked once in 1996 and never touched since. It has sat around since then. There is speculation that there is some sort of firearm within the unit but this was never confirmed. It is in a soft case and does not appear to be damaged in any way. I suspect that one could take it to a repacking company to check it out. If it fails then you have only wasted time. If it works, well then you have a good raft. I would also ask that when you take it to service that you please think about returning any firearm found. Not that I care about having another gun but I would feel more comfortable if one was found that it be taken off the street. Please call Ed at 954-224-4668.
Old 16-09-2011, 15:46   #2

Re: 6-Person Life Raft - South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman3399 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am actually giving away a six person Avon liferaft. It is located in South Florida. Of course there is a catch. Here is the deal. It came off my 52 foot Yacht back in the mid-90s. It was repacked once in 1996 and never touched since. It has sat around since then. There is speculation that there is some sort of firearm within the unit but this was never confirmed. It is in a soft case and does not appear to be damaged in any way. I suspect that one could take it to a repacking company to check it out. If it fails then you have only wasted time. If it works, well then you have a good raft. I would also ask that when you take it to service that you please think about returning any firearm found. Not that I care about having another gun but I would feel more comfortable if one was found that it be taken off the street. Please call Ed at 954-224-4668.
Hello,
If your reading this, please be aware that there have been multiple calls on this raft. At this time a person is scheduled to pick up the raft Monday September 19,2011. I encourage you to check on Tuesday the 20th to be sure it is gone. I will also post here to confirm. Thanks for all of the interest. I will post other items of interest as they become available.

Thanks everyone,
Ed
Old 18-09-2011, 21:00   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I'd be very very wary of using a liferaft that was last serviced 15 years ago, especially since it it obviously older that that, having been removed from his yacht before that. I'm not suggesting, for a second, that the OP is doing anything wrong, merely pointing out that 15 years is a damn good age for a liferaft! You would certainly want to get a full service. It may also be necessary to get the inflation cylinder tested and re-filled... the service will be quite expensive (and no guarantee of effective function thereafter).
Old 18-09-2011, 22:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I'd be very very wary of using a liferaft that was last serviced 15 years ago, especially since it it obviously older that that, having been removed from his yacht before that. I'm not suggesting, for a second, that the OP is doing anything wrong, merely pointing out that 15 years is a damn good age for a liferaft! You would certainly want to get a full service. It may also be necessary to get the inflation cylinder tested and re-filled... the service will be quite expensive (and no guarantee of effective function thereafter).
Those Avon liferafts are very high quality and will last for many years. Whoever takes the raft will spend $1000 or more on the major service, in the course of which it will be clear whether or not the raft is still good, which it probably is.
Old 22-09-2011, 20:04   #5

Boat: Ketch 52'
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptDHill

I agree with DockHead.

Tags
florida