Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 15:30   #151

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: 42' cat ketch ocean voyager $39.9k

Included with the boat will be a used Sawzall, so you can make it as shoal draft as you can stand.
Old 17-04-2015, 15:33   #152
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Included with the boat will be a used Sawzall, so you can make it as shoal draft as you can stand.

Now you got me thinking. After I sawzall 3' of the keel I can bolt the scrap onto the side of the keel and have half a wing? Would it sail in circles?
Old 17-04-2015, 15:34   #153

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Wise ass, I love the wry humor.
Old 17-04-2015, 15:39   #154

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I believe the CG does accept liens from contractors. I also believe a notarized statement between the buyer and seller stating any problems due to the previous sale will be the sellers responsibility would be a good idea. If it was a shoal draft centerboard model I would be interested, but as it is it would cut me out of to many cruising areas.
I think my fist cruising boat was an Alacrity 18-1/2 ft twin keeled English boat with a cabin that could sleep 3 or 4 people. It had a 1'-11" draft with its fixed keels. Imagine sailing with 1'-11" draft. When I got stuck I would get out and push. That worked well in the Florida keys - the shallow gulf side.
Old 17-04-2015, 15:41   #155
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
I think my fist cruising boat was an Alacrity 18-1/2 ft twin keeled English boat with a cabin that could sleep 3 or 4 people. It had a 1'-11" draft with its fixed keels. Imagine sailing with 1'-11" draft. When I got stuck I would get out and push. That worked well in the Florida keys - the shallow gulf side.

That's were we are located!
Old 17-04-2015, 15:56   #156

Re: Now here is a georgeous bluewater boat for $49k

It all boils down to Caviet Emptor. Buyer beware. Look a man in the eye, make a deal, shake his hand.
Next topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-04-2015, 15:57   #157

My super phone likely misspelled that last entry...

Old 17-04-2015, 16:01   #158

Quote:
I believe the CG does accept liens from contractors. I also believe a notarized statement between the buyer and seller stating any problems due to the previous sale will be the sellers responsibility would be a good idea. If it was a shoal draft centerboard model I would be interested, but as it is it would cut me out of to many cruising areas.
I wonder how the USCG controls who can put a lien on a boat. I can't imagine they just let anybody do it. Maybe they would only allow it with a court settlement. Somehow a person has to prove they are owed money back for the U S C G to accept it and file the lein. I can't imagine a buyer going to the USCG and saying: Hey USCG, I bought a boat on an installment contract and I canceled my contract and I want the seller to give me back my money I paid, so please file a lein for what I claim. I think the USCG would say, hey buddy, you should settle this in court and if you get a judgment, then give it to us and then we will file a lein. But even then, maybe it would just be a judgment against the person and not against the boat....as my Atty said.
Old 17-04-2015, 16:05   #159

Quote:
That's were we are located!
That is not a place for sailboats. There is no deep water anywhere in those keys on the gulf side. You have to channels out for miles and miles.����������
Old 17-04-2015, 16:22   #160

Ronald,
After considering all the feedback you have received, what is the lowest price the lien holders would accept? As is where is contract, free from all liens and encumbrances?
I'm in Nova Scotia and the Canadian Dollar is in the crapper. However, I have enough of them if the boat you represent represents fair market value in my neck of the woods. Close enough that I could make a trip to evaluate, though if it's going to take 9 months of litigation to determine title, I want to know now so as not to incure any unnecessary travel expenses.

Old 17-04-2015, 16:25   #161

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Hookup!
Old 17-04-2015, 16:40   #162

So far baited hook only...
Cost of boat is insignificant based on content of this thread. Purpose seems to be baiting a potential buyer, assuaging ( right term? ) him/her to pursue the spring deal of the century.

Old 17-04-2015, 21:35   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsan View Post
Ronald,
After considering all the feedback you have received, what is the lowest price the lien holders would accept? As is where is contract, free from all liens and encumbrances?
I'm in Nova Scotia and the Canadian Dollar is in the crapper. However, I have enough of them if the boat you represent represents fair market value in my neck of the woods. Close enough that I could make a trip to evaluate, though if it's going to take 9 months of litigation to determine title, I want to know now so as not to incure any unnecessary travel expenses.

Greetings Paulson. Sorry, I don't understand much of your message. There is no leinholder - no lein or encumbrances. There is the owner( me), then there was the past buyer/contract holder who defaulted on the contract. Are you asking what is the lowest price I would take? If so, that would be $39,900. I plan to raise the price when I get the floor finished/ revarnished.
I can't say about litigation. There is no lawsuit. The lawyers have stopped talking/ negotiating last February 16th. No word from the buyers Atty since February. So, you decide what that means. It sounds to me that the buyers gave up.
Old 17-04-2015, 23:17   #164
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
That is not a place for sailboats. There is no deep water anywhere in those keys on the gulf side. You have to channels out for miles and miles.����������

That's why you need shallow draft
Old 18-04-2015, 09:15   #165

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

IANAL and have no interest in this boat or know anybody who does.

Based on what I've read, this is what I would guess the situation is:

Ronald sold the boat to another party, and owner-financed the loan.
The other party possibly invested money in the boat fixing it up.
The other party defaulted on the loan somehow, likely by not paying on the loan.
Ronald is now in possession and selling the boat.
The other party attempted to make some kind of effort to recoup the money they invested in Ronald's boat, either while "owning it", or perhaps their deposit or payments.

It's like people who rent a place and then spend a lot of money fixing it up. That's great, but don't expect to see that money again.

My only advise to potential buyers would be to spend the extra money and buy it through the yacht broker, otherwise you will likely need to spend the same money on a lawyer to make sure everything is free and clear. You should also consider moving the boat to a different area, since you never know how stable (or unstable) the other party is.

This kind of thing happens all the time with owner financed boats, even houses. The people who defaulted shouldn't have a leg to stand on, because THEY broke the contract.

Ultimately if you are able to buy the boat for what is owed on it, the other people will have no complaint, and since the owner has no financial interest in getting more than what he's owed, the other party should just take it as a hard lesson.

Tags
ketch, water