Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 20:12   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Sailing Lucia 40

I am very seriously considering trading my Lagoon 380 for a Lucia 40 depending upon how the Lucia sails vs it.

The issue(s) I have with the 380 are specific to my needs. 1. When going away with just my wife, I do most of the work. The 380 has all lines to the helm EXCEPT the traveller. I didn't think that was such a big deal coming from monohulls, but now knowing how to sail a multihull, this is the first line to let out when bearing off. This is in the cockpit and I have to leave the helm to do this. 2nd. The cockpit of the 380 has a step down into a 20" sq well, with a 5" lip to get into the cabin. Not straight thru like new designs. Doesn't sound like much, but with arthritic knees, it is. Also, the stairs down the companionway to the owners cabin , the tread is too short. Finally, there is no space around the bed, it buts against the walls. Again, only an issue if you have bad knees.

Love the galley. Love the electronics. Electric winch and autopilot allow me to tack with a press of a button and just unwind leeward sheet and sheet in the other sheet. I put in 2 285 W solar panels, the boat came with 3 140AH wet cell, so far this setup works very well. A yuuuge refrig, but tiny freezer. However cockpit has large fishing cooler under a hinged seat, with a few bags of ice , and drinks are right where you want them when sailing. (leaving cans in the refrig just lets them roll around and then explode when you open them anyway). Owners head is great, shower is the best I have ever seen.

The boat sails fantastically. Probably the best sailing boat lagoon has. SA/D is way better than all other models. In 18kt true, with a single reef , at 70 deg true, lumpy 2-4' seas, I am doing 8.5 kt. At 10kt, I point to 45 deg and do 6.5kt. This is all without my gennaker up.

I haven't found any real specific info on the Lucia, don't know if there a specific forum for it other than here (Lagoon has a yahoo group), but I am looking for real owner information on the good and the bad on it. What you like and dislike. And specifically, how the boat sails.

(If I was 20 years younger, the issues I have on the 380 wouldn't be issues. Of course I would not be able to afford it as well;-)

So pls chime in. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 20:52   #2

Re: Sailing Lucia 40

Seems to me like you should stick with your current boat
pro67coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 21:59   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am very seriously considering trading my Lagoon 380 for a Lucia 40 depending upon how the Lucia sails vs it.
I was seriously considering a 380 until I sailed one with six of us on board for a week...... My Lucia 40 will be delivered next month.

There are a couple of active threads worth reading.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-175879.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-164882.html

Cheers

Ian
Old 21-08-2017, 06:13   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
I was seriously considering a 380 until I sailed one with six of us on board for a week...... My Lucia 40 will be delivered next month.

There are a couple of active threads worth reading.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-175879.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-164882.html

Cheers

Ian
Ian, thanks. read the owners thread, not much real sailing info in there, talk about buying boat. Will look at 42 vs 40, I did read that a long time ago but forgot about it. Wierd comparison, Lagoon 42 is not what the 40 competes against.

Agree that for 6 people, the 380 would be tight. But I use it mostly for 2 and sometimes 4, and it is great for that. Just not modern. But fully loaded up it is out the door for $330k US (no genset or AC, but everything else).

Need to know how it sails.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 07:00   #5

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

HI
The short answer in terms of how the Lucia is "better than you would expect of a cat with the space and accommodation".

I don't have specific wind/speed data but we are regularly sailing in excess of 8 knots. I would say with apparent at 60/70 degrees in 18kts I would expect to be fluctuating between 75. and 8.5 depending on sea state. She does not like a bumpy sea to windward unless powered up but then what cruising cats do.

We recently did a crossing in 20-25 with gusts over 30 with a very confused sea. About 60 Deg apparent, 2nd reef. SW residual swell with a N swell on the building wind. Did 30 something miles in 4 hours so we averaged over 8 and were regularly in the 9s. Max according to the instruments was 11.9 but that would be a surge on a wave.

In light winds and flat seas she goes well, especially if you can crack on some more sail area. (Gennaker or Assym).

I have never sailed a 380 so I can't comment on the relativity.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 07:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I sail the Lucia 40 regularly as a charter captain. It ain’t bad- not a monohull- but not bad.

Suggest you find one and charter it for a few days. Feel free to PM me, I will tell you who has one.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 03:50   #7

I made these charts with data from my PC Nav system. First time I haver done it so E&OE!

Oct 6 was light initially just aft of the beam with an assym Spinnaker then the wind died and came back from ahead varying from about 40 to 60 Deg.

Oct 8 was a VERY bumpy sea with opposing swell trains and 20Kts plus gusting to 30 plus. Probably could have done without the 2nd reef but given the sea condition figured that was best. We were under powered at times but still moved along OK. We averaged over 8 for the crossing.
Old 30-10-2017, 03:52   #8

Forgot to upload the charts!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oct 6.pdf (383.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: pdf Oct 8.pdf (301.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 31-10-2017, 14:46   #9

Smoothed the data a bit, the previous charts were raw, 5 sec data.
You can spot where the reefs were put in on Oct 8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 6.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	158636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 8.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	158637  

Tags