Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 16:18   #1

New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

i have not been able to get anywhere near those two boats...... any thoughts, those of you lucky ones who could get nearer those boats at the grande motte multihulls show? which one would you pick?

cheers !!
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 16:45   #2

New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

The Lagoon 42 is a much larger boat than the Lucia 40 which is a 38 footer.
If your going offshore or cruising as a live aboard, then you will want the longer, larger boat.

The FP Lucia 40 just does not have the heavy lifting needed by most long term cruisers. Will be a great coastal or weekend boat.

The FP Helia 44 would be a great pick also.
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:34   #3

Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Hi Alexxx, I was on both boats at the Miami Strictly Sail show earlier this year. You can read my comments on both boats in a thread titled "random thoughts from a week of Cat shopping" that I posted.

General thoughts though is the FP40 would be a great weekend or charter get-away type boat imo, but not a longer term live aboard for me. Both are really nice boats, but when you stand on the Lagoon 42 and walk through, it is clearly in a completely different league than the FP40...not even close. Which is why when you compare the costs of each as well, Lagoon has been selling them like hot cakes!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:00   #4

Boat: Macgregor 26M in SF bay, Bayliner 175BR in JAX FL

Was on both at the Boot Dusseldorf. I don't think it is an appropriate comparison. The more correct comparison is Lucia 40 and Lagoon 39, in which case the Lucia is the better boat by far. The Lagoon. 42 will run at least $100 k more than Lucia 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbpatents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 02:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpatents View Post
The Lagoon. 42 will run at least $100 k more than Lucia 40.
app
Base prices in euros for the Lucia 40 Maestro version is 253 K€ and 292 K€ for the Lagoon 42 Owner version, i.e. 39 K€ more than the Lucia 40.
If you add the same options on both (electronics, dessalinisator, shore power installation, bimini...) the Lucia 40 is 369 K€ and the Lagoon 42 390 K€, i.e. only 21 K€ more than the Lucia 40 (the FP options are more expansive than the Lagoon options).
So, for me, the Lagoon 42 is THE choice to do as she offers a real gain in term of volume, space and, above all, storage.
Pat Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 20:35   #6

Boat: FP Lucia 40

There is a direct comparison of the two boats in terms of technical criteria and sail ability on the pages of Atlantic Cruising Yachts' website. Compare FP40 to new Lagoon 42... — Atlantic Cruising Yachts
We agree with the thoughts expressed, however, we are owners of a yet-to-be-delivered Lucia 40!
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 05:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Day More View Post
There is a direct comparison of the two boats in terms of technical criteria and sail ability on the pages of Atlantic Cruising Yachts' website. Compare FP40 to new Lagoon 42... — Atlantic Cruising Yachts
We agree with the thoughts expressed, however, we are owners of a yet-to-be-delivered Lucia 40!
Congrats on the new boat One Day More! I am sure you are going to love it. I have to agree with the post from jbpatents above though that a better comparison would be with the Lagoon 39...if that is the comparison the FP40 wins hands down. Also, reading that article from Atlantic Cruising Yachts (a FP dealer) it is almost comical how completely biased it is. Having crawled around every inch of these boats (because they were both on my short list) I can tell you that the FP40 is not a fair competitor to the L42...standing on both boats it is shocking how much more space there is on the L42. Funny thing is that if you look at the Helia44, the L42 is essentially a copy of a lot of the design elements that give its cockpit the comfortable flowing feel. Things I really like about the H44 and FP40 is the helm layout with the extra seating as another area to socialize, this is missing on the L42. I think both boats are going to sell pretty well, but it is funny how the article brags that they had sold 50 boats when Lagoon is already on hull 130 or something. I wish there were more independent, non-manufacturer sponsored reviews of these boats to give unbiased critiques for prospective buyers.
Old 25-04-2016, 06:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I wish there were more independent, non-manufacturer sponsored reviews of these boats to give unbiased critiques for prospective buyers.
I second this!!

We are also trying to decide between a FP40 and a L42. The Leopard 40 was on our list, but it has a lower shroud you have to duck under when going forward. Seemed inconvenient and maybe dangerous?? The L42 sail plan just seems a bit small regarding white sails. I really want to see how it sails. I don't need a speed demon, just something within reason.

The Yacht Sales Company in Houston has a L42 in stock. (weird) But, they won't do a test sail unless you put down a deposit. Plus, they are asking $635k. Seems way overpriced. I have quotes for a better optioned one for just under $500k. They are adamant, you should get the Cat shipped from France instead of Sailed. ($85k) It is supposed to keep down the wear and tear. I figure sailing across would work out a few kinks.
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:23   #9

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
I second this!!

We are also trying to decide between a FP40 and a L42. The Leopard 40 was on our list, but it has a lower shroud you have to duck under when going forward. Seemed inconvenient and maybe dangerous?? The L42 sail plan just seems a bit small regarding white sails. I really want to see how it sails. I don't need a speed demon, just something within reason.

The Yacht Sales Company in Houston has a L42 in stock. (weird) But, they won't do a test sail unless you put down a deposit. Plus, they are asking $635k. Seems way overpriced. I have quotes for a better optioned one for just under $500k. They are adamant, you should get the Cat shipped from France instead of Sailed. ($85k) It is supposed to keep down the wear and tear. I figure sailing across would work out a few kinks.
They were asking $750K for their L450 last year and I suspect that is why they still have it in inventory. ( I understand that it is the owners personal boat, but it is still available ).

Both boats are in Clear Lake right now. The L42 is very nice, but I am not sure how I feel about the grey gelcoat.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:38   #10

The Lucia 40 is comparable to the Lagoon 39.
Both of these boats would be to small in weight carrying capacity for most offshore or live aboard cruisers.

If the Lagoon 42 is $635,000 usd delivered you may want to think about a FP Helia 44.

You should be able to get a fully loaded FP Helia 44 delivered to the US for $600,000 usd.

Since the Lagoon 42 is just a copy of the Helia 44. Why not get the larger boat at a better price.
Old 25-04-2016, 07:57   #11

I also thouht it strange the dealer in Houston was offering the 42 for $635k. Its the same price as the 450 they have and are trying to sell. In my opinion both overpriced, the 42 more so..
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
I second this!!

May I ask who you were dealing with on that quote you got?
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 07:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
The Lucia 40 is comparable to the Lagoon 39.
Both of these boats would be to small in weight carrying capacity for most offshore or live aboard cruisers.

If the Lagoon 42 is $635,000 usd delivered you may want to think about a FP Helia 44.

You should be able to get a fully loaded FP Helia 44 delivered to the US for $600,000 usd.

Since the Lagoon 42 is just a copy of the Helia 44. Why not get the larger boat at a better price.
I haven't heard great things about the L39. Especially the sail plan. That is why I want to check out the L42 first hand.

In my opinion the Helia is THE perfect boat. Even the new owner layout is awesome. Except two issues. The instruments at the helm are mounted vertical at waist height (Just dumb) and the Price. If the Helia was around $500k I would have ordered one a while ago.

There are a couple L42's going into Charter this fall. I guess I will have to spend $10k to test one out.
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:14   #14

For USA buyers the Euro will effect the price of the boat more than anything.

A 500,000 euro boat will cost a USA buyer $575,000 usd after the exchange rate and fee's
Old 25-04-2016, 08:49   #15

I think that the guy in Houston must just not be interested in selling boats. $635 is silly for the L42...you can get a 450 sport top for much less, and I would definitely get the H44 in a heartbeat at those prices.

Also, to clarify for Hightemp, the silver colored hull is a wrap, not the actual gel coat. I believe it is an $16,000 option from the factory (or there abouts).

Tags
lagoon