Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 07:01   #31

Boat: FP Lucia 40
Re: Port Winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Terbonium,

Here is what a Lucia 40 Port Winch looks like from the factory, so you would want to replicate this setup.
I see this configuration working for a single port sheet for a Gennaker. A Parasailor requires 2 lines per side. (a sheet and guy). I'm just wondering how you switch between the 2 lines per winch without a set of line clutches. Or if the guy line can just be tied off on a cleat.

I'm debating whether to add the Gennaker option to our Lucia, or just add a port winch ourselves and other necessary blocks to run a Parasailor.
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 07:21   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Port Winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
I see this configuration working for a single port sheet for a Gennaker. A Parasailor requires 2 lines per side. (a sheet and guy). I'm just wondering how you switch between the 2 lines per winch without a set of line clutches. Or if the guy line can just be tied off on a cleat.

I'm debating whether to add the Gennaker option to our Lucia, or just add a port winch ourselves and other necessary blocks to run a Parasailor.
You could e-mail Parasailor and ask them, as they have great training and support.

I believe a port and stb. cleat is all that's needed for the guy lines. This video may help you also.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:45   #33

Re: Rigging and Sails

Will contact ISTEC today and see what they recommend

Port side Helia Cheeky Monkey.

Old 22-12-2016, 10:07   #34

Community Sponsor

Parasailor setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
Will contact ISTEC today and see what they recommend

Port side Helia 44 - Cheeky Monkey.

This maybe an FP installed port winch, but everything else is a custom modification.

Cheeky Monkey has made it across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans using their Parasailor with this setup, so it must work well for them.

Cheeky Monkey also has another winch on the stb. stern for the Parasailor setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-22-2016 1-14-27 PM.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	138370   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-22-2016 1-16-33 PM.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	138371  

Name:	12-22-2016 1-21-55 PM.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	138372  
Old 22-12-2016, 10:10   #35

Not sure exactly what they have there in front of the winch, but this looks like a good solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LockingCheekBlock.png
Views:	346
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	138369  
Old 22-12-2016, 12:24   #36

Community Sponsor

Sailing Downwind with “Twin Jibs”

Terbonium,

Another down wind sailing solution would be Sailing Downwind with “Twin Jibs”

When it comes to downwind passages in open seas in less than ideal weather, the last thing on most cruising sailors minds is flying the Spinnaker or Parasailor, especially at night. There is, however, a simple and easily handled alternative of particular relevance to shorthanded crews, it’s called “Twin Jibs”.

What is required is a twin grooved jib furler on which to hoist two identical traditional working jibs on a single halyard. These sails have their own set of sheets which lead through the fairleads and on to the cockpit winches in the usual way.

By utilizing twin identical working jibs set from a twin-grooved jib furler. Most Cruisers and Delivery Captains that have tried it really like its simplicity and functionality. It requires a bit more wind, around 15 kts true min.
It’s very easy to handle. No Mainsail is used. The Autopilot tracks nicely.

“Twin Jibs” overcomes the need for additional crew on longer hauls, and it’s a fraction of the cost of Spinnakers or Parasailor and their related hardware. It’s really just plain sailing.

All FP Jib Furlers have Twin Tracks on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sailing_with_two_jibs.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	138374  
Old 04-01-2017, 19:19   #37

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

I have had a chance to use the Karver hook in anger now and some Feed back on the Karver Gaff lock. It works well however,

Definitely needs 10mm Halyard not the factory 12mm. Too much friction. I went with 10mm spectra. Stronger, less stretch and better quality. It does mean a trip up the mast to swap, but I wanted to remove any twist and end for end it anyway so swapping was no big deal, however 53 meters 10mm spectra isnt cheap.

Unfortunately the way the zspar halyard is rigged means it doesn't work as well as it could. The outside stand of the halyard goes to the top of the mast where its attached. This is the stand that the soft shackle rides along. The sail is heavy so the hook starts sliding up the mast as you start pulling on the halyard and the sail hasn't yet hooked up (Sorry hard to explain) but 2 times now I have had the hook half way up the mast and the sail still 1 meter below and unlikely to catch up until it gets to the top. Easy fix, I have attached a piece of shock cord from the eye of the hook to the next car. This seems to give it enough tension so it doesn't start sliding up too soon so that the first lift is the sail not the hook.

The other issue is the soft shackle needs to be very stiff and ideally have a nice slippery outer sheath so it doesn't get caught sliding over the hook.

I'm still very please and now its set up properly it works great, even if you don't rig the shock cord it's still very easy to pick the sail up and drop it on the hook before raising as you can use 2 hands and it will just drop into place due to the halyard.

I would certainly recommend it over the normal setup. Its a little pricy but it is a boat part and (unlike my brother) it does work.

Nice bit of kit

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 19:23   #38

I understand that the factory now fit intermediate cars on the main on the Lucia. Could I impose on one of the Lucia owners to post a close up photo of how they are attached. I'm told they use shock cord to attach the car to the sail but would like to see how its done.

Thanks

Old 23-01-2017, 21:26   #39

Karver Gaff lock now on and working

video on Karvers site

Old 26-04-2017, 06:53   #40

Community Sponsor

Uchimata setup and sailing of the Parasailor
on a FP Lucia 40 in 5 steps

Parasailor Lucia 40 Fountaine Pajot: 5 étapes pour réussir sa navigation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Uchimata setup of the Parasailor.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	146286  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:14   #41

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Karver Gaff lock now on and working

video on Karvers site

Not sure if this issue has popped up but when operating the Karver lock it's important to ensure the dyneema loop from the mainsail head is seated firmly in the bottom of the Karver lock. We had an incident where the loop hung up at the top of the Karver hook and heated the main halyard enough to part the internal strands causing the mainsail to be stuck 2/3 of the way up. Required the crew to bosun chair up, drop the mainsail manually, reverse and reroute the halyard to attach the 'good end' again through the Karver hook. This was on a 11mm halyard that was 6 months old.
PapaLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:11   #42

Anyone think that could be replaced with a hard shackle on the Karver Gaff lock?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57   #43

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

I was also wondering about a hard shackle. It would have less friction than the loop.

although I think the Karver is Aluminium and that may not like a S/S piece engaging with it.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:39   #44

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLulu View Post
Not sure if this issue has popped up but when operating the Karver lock it's important to ensure the dyneema loop from the mainsail head is seated firmly in the bottom of the Karver lock. We had an incident where the loop hung up at the top of the Karver hook and heated the main halyard enough to part the internal strands causing the mainsail to be stuck 2/3 of the way up. Required the crew to bosun chair up, drop the mainsail manually, reverse and reroute the halyard to attach the 'good end' again through the Karver hook. This was on a 11mm halyard that was 6 months old.

Weve had the same issue - the T connector for the Dynema loop - needs to be at the mainsail end - not the Karver hook end - otherwise it jams - and the main halyard will not pop over the hook - and nor will the Karver hook drop to the deck - and weve observed that the karver hook - with the Dynema loop in the wrong position - will cause the Karver hook to rise to the top of the mast - without the mainsail engaging - and the interference on the main halyard means that the hook will not return to the boom - without a person (me, three times now) to free it.. twisting the Dynema loop so the T connector is at the mainsail end of the look - and there is a clean rope to engage the hook - works... But I do like the idea of the shockcord on the next mainsail track car as well !
Attached is the correct Karver Hook Dynema loop positioning.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Karver Hook - Correct.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	150905  
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 07:45   #45

Boat: Fountaine Pajot LUCIA 40 Maestro Hull n°101

That was the mainsail sheet mounting system on my ex Lipari.

Will do exactly the same on my Lucia:
70 carbon from harken, combined with Wichard HR "lock"; very happy with this system...
Oliver66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, sail, sails