The letter that was posted by Cotemar is a specific customer letter to the owner of the two engines with serial
numbers listed on the letter. If you own engines which fall under the terms of the recall
you should receive such a letter with your serial numbers listed.
Some of the important points brought out in the letter are:
- This is a voluntary recall on the part of Volvo Penta
- This is also voluntary on the part of the owner, there is nothing which requires the owner to replace his/her engines
- This applies only to US based vessels or those in US territories
- The recall applies to subsequent owners as well as original owners
- The recall began in July 2017 and will end 1 July of 2019, so there is no need to interrupt your sailing season to have the change done immediately
- If your engines are involved in the recall, you will receive a new two year warranty along with the new engines.
- It's possible that an engine
in question is not emitting more than the allowable limits, but may sometime in the future as the result of normal wear and tear. These engines will also be replaced.