Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 18:57   #646

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Martin

We met at the 07 Sydney Boat Show. Where is Reflexion laying? With your permission, I would like to see what improvements you have made to her. Currently, every fortnight, I find myself having to scrub my boat's props, their legs, & hulls' bottom because of growth. Lots of little "sea monkeys" in that swarm of brown gunk that bite too. I don't mind doing it now because of hot weather, but autumn looms, and I still cannot get the rpms past 2400, with virtually no improvement in speed. I have the 3-blade folding props.

JohnC
Old 05-02-2009, 19:18   #647

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Hi Seadog, yes we did!

Reflexion is lying in Pittwater. You are welcome anytime. Perhaps we should organsise a get together for the Sydney based boats sometime.

I found the factory antifoul did not last long and after several goes at scrubbing had to slip in May looking like something from the depths in Pirates of the Carribean. So far the locally applied stuff seems to be holding up well, I have not had to scrub the hulls and only cleaned the rubber flange and the water inlet ports on the leg.

Perhaps the props are not the right spec? I had original 2 bladed fixed props which also went to 3000 revs when clean. The Autostreams (3 bladed) are adjustable but I have not had to change them from the settings as supplied. I get about 7.2 - 7.4 Kts (GPS) at 2600 but only a little better (7.8) at full revs. Not worth the extra diesel use.

What speed to you get?
Old 05-02-2009, 22:04   #648

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Martin

With both engines on full throttle, I am hooning along at 5.2kts max.

Motorsailed to Pittwater recently in company with a Seawind 1000. I fell so far behind he rang me to "hurry up". My excuse: fishing. No breeze at that time, so no help from the wind either. Damn, those 9.9hp Yammies can really push that boat along.

To add insult to injury, some mystery fish busted me off and took off with my favourite lure. This was near the spot where a 5m Great White knocked one kayaker into the water.

We have been to Pittwater a few times. I will PM you when I next visit Pittwater.

Cheers!

JohnC
Old 06-02-2009, 00:02   #649

Boat: Mahe 36
Martin,
have there been any difficulties with setting up the double line reefing? I want to do the same and just ordered 3 Spinlock XTS. For continous furling you might have a look at the Bartels (German Brand) rollers, which costed around 600€ and work well.
Can you tell about the Jib/Gennaker sheeting?
My complaints about the boat could be also:
Water pressure alternates extremely, and temperature change is dangerous while showering - I added an air balloon. ( FP does not ant to take care of that)
Temperature is far to high - I will try out the advices from earlier in this forum ( FP? - see above)
One issue I got stuck and maybee somebody from the forum could help: I would like to use the data from the Furuno system for my Laptop with Fugawi and vice versa. We have identified the NMEA sockets in the steering computer, but are a little confused. ( RS 422 vs RS 232?).
And to Scott: Although we have not had any contact yet, I am interested in some photos of the watermaker installation also - that would be very nice!
Jan
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53   #650

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Hey Scott, Kevin from Bladerunner in Melbourne, FL. Glad to see you're out cruising. As I'm sure you know, it's been COLD back here in Central Florida with the past couple days in the low 30's (cold for Florida). What type of watermaker do you have and did you do the install? Bladerunner may have a new owner by next week and he's inquiring about types of watermakers and costs. He plans to cruise the Caribbean starting in the Bahamas then heading south to Grenada for hurricane season. Happy Sails!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24   #651

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Hi Scott, hope you are having as good a time as we did. We dont have the same opinion on the water maker though. Our very humble opinion is that it is not essential. We were in the Bahamas for 7-8 weeks and only spent around $250 on water. We do have a filter and purifier though. Just another view.

Scott, we have updated the website if you get a chance, some of it may be helpful. www.pgacouple.com
HAVE FUN
Lonnie
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11   #652

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, a few reactions:
When we got our boat last May, the temperature of the hot water varied dangerously because the water pump switched on and off continuously, except when the tap was fully open. FP then arranged a plumber, who decided that a 5 liter air vessel (like central heating) had to be mounted. Under guarantee. This works well. All bigger FP's have such a vessel, except for all Mahe's. Maybe this has to do with the supplier of the pump stating that this pump needs no vessel. Which is not always true.

About antifouling: it would be nice if you could avoid (2)yearly re-painting of antifouling, it is very expensive to take the boat out of the water. I am considering Coppercoat from Coppercoat - multiseason antifouling. 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul antifouling.. I am interested to hear positive and negative experiences from this forum.

About the jib sheets: Martin, I am interested what improvements you did to the jib sheets. I am also unhappy about the shape of the jib when not close-hauled. Also information about the single-line furling is appreciated.
Anybody who is considering making a 3rd reef? We could have used it last "summer".
Regards,
Jef
Old 06-02-2009, 16:45   #653

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Hi Jase & others

I have not yet connected my Laptop up to the Furuno but plan to do so.

There is an RS232 port on the FI-30 server for this purpose. I have noted that my server is not configured to factory default of the nmea messages it broadcasts and will have to be configured before it sends any useful messages.

I have mounted 4 clutches for the double line reefing. 2 x XTS for the Tack down hauls and 2 x XAS for the clew lines. Best if I take some pictures of this and the tack lines and post them. Extra sheet bags are now required! I considered single line reefing but high friction seems to be a constraint and I also don't think you will get a decent sail shape unless you can tension clew and tack independently. I am trying the tack lines out without blocks on the sail initially for simplicity as I don't think the friction will be an issue.

All I have done with the Jib sheet so far is fit a fairlead to manage the port sheet but I would love to have short tracks instead of the stand up block.

With the gennaker sheeting I have routed the starboard sheet across the aft beam and fitted a double jamming foot block port where the old sheet block was and moved that forward a little. This allows all gennaker control from the dedicated winch and the jamming blocks allow you to control the sheets better in a gybe or just cleat them off when not in use. Seems to work quite well but is a recent mod so time will tell.

I have also decided to always drop the gennaker when it is not expected to use it in teh short term. I had an unfortunate experience where (being loosly furled) it opened partially in +- 30Kts of wind.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:31   #654

Boat: Mahe 36
MKB53, thankyou. I am looking forward to the pictures! On the later Mahes they installed the FI50s from Furuno, so the setup seems to be different. Because I also want build in a radar which is not from Furuno, it seems that I have to dig a little deeper. I will report in one or two months, if somebody is interested.
The danger coming from rolled Gennakers in stronger winds seems to be an issue, two sailmakers told me, that the do not recommend roller systems for fuller cut asymetrics any more.
Jan
Old 08-02-2009, 18:24   #655

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Boat show Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi08 View Post
thanks Therapy and Cotemar!

have been surching for while in FP calendar shows and, Miami Boat Show is not there and also if you go to The Mia Boat Show site they dont mention FP.

Thanks again.

Lavi08
We will have a Mahe and an Orana at theshow.Both brand new
Sorry for late answers
Philippe
Old 08-02-2009, 19:40   #656

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
We will have a Mahe and an Orana at theshow.Both brand new
Sorry for late answers
Philippe
Dang.
I wanted to see the Lavezzi.
But I don't have the money just yet so don't worry.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44   #657

Cat Searching

I just joined the forum. I hope I am doing this right. I am currently looking for a LA Cat. I live near Annapolis Maryland and I have not seeing much in Cats this time of year. I have not seen any FP's with brokers I have contacted. I would like to see a FP Mahe for Logoon 380. Any Suggestions?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:04   #658

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi Waverunner, welcome to this forum
Mahe 36 vs Lagoon 380:
Both have 77 square meter of sail, Mahe is officially 5000 kg, Lagoon is 7000 kg. Both will be a bit heavier really, the French like to understate weight.
I guess you will find back the difference in sailing performance, better for the Mahe, and room, better for the Lagoon. The Mahe is cheaper if you wait for the september special offer which is a set of extra's for a relatively small amount.
Sailing performance:
In our Mahe we have had a peak speed of 16.4 knots with spinnaker surfing down a wave (with calibrated log), sustained around 14 knots, and a 12 hour average of 10 knots. A Lagoon will not do this probably, the hulls are too wide. And then there is the question of looks, but that is personal.
Kind regards, good luck choosing,
Jef
Old 12-02-2009, 13:37   #659

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Waverunner,

Both the Mahe 36 and the Lagoon 380 will be at the Miami boat show.
Willmar USA sells a lot of Mahes on the East Coast. I have been on both boats and you can tell the Lagoon is more of a charter boat and much heavier than the Mahe. The Lagoon 380 is roughly $100,000 more than the Mahe if you are looking at new ones. I really like both boats, but the Mahe 36 fit my budget.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	14850   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	14851  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	14852   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	14853  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	14854   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	14855  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	14856   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	14857  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	14858   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	14859  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	14860   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	14861  

Old 12-02-2009, 20:44   #660
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Therapy, did you make it to the show? The Lavezzi at the show had a really nice bimini with side curtains. They also put a 2' wide fiberglass walkway near the centerline. PM me if you'll be around tomorrow. David
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36