Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2008, 14:04   #376

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Mike,

We was based in Preston, Lancashire, have read your web site, which is very good I hope business is booming. Our plan is to get across to the Caribbean this December and maybe come and have a chat with you.

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes, I am still pinching myself walking down the pontoon.

Living the dream!

Kev & Jo
Old 18-04-2008, 14:25   #377

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I'm currently in the process of adding a sprit for a Code 0 on a continuous furler. The Facnor is on my short list. (See a recent issue of Practical Sailor for a comparison review of multiple furlers. Very informative.) My intent is to round out my sail inventory with the Code 0. In consultation with my sailmaker we're aiming to add better light to moderate 120 to 60 degrees apparent capabilites filling the gap between my quite heavy 150% genoa (terrific upwind and moderate to heavy foresail) and symmetrical spi (terrific DDW to about 120 degrees apparent).

The challenge with non-foil Code 0 sails is gaining sufficient low stretch luff tension. I'm planning on a 2:1 halyard of about 10mm V-100. This means the sprit and rigging likewise has to be substantial enough to take the loads.

Dave

Dave, make sure that your stays, and stay attachments are up to the job! I have been through 4 or 5 versions, before I finally got what i needed. The forces using a Code 0 are incredible! For your size boat I would go minimum ½" wires for the stays. I would reccomend that you have some 316L brackets made that attach on the outside of the bows, down low, that go across the bow inboard to attach the stays. This spreads the force to both sides of the hulls.

You need to be aware of the large force that works nearly horizontally on the forebeam. If your forebeam doesn't have a beam in the middle going back to the bridgedeck, you can either add one, or else, do like I did.
I made an "horisontal dolphin/seagull striker" that is fitted on the aft side of the forebeam just under the tramp. It is made of 12 mm wire. The "height" is around 10-12", and it attaches to a couple of hooks that attach to the outer edges of the forebeam.

Before adding this I was getting nearly an inch of deflection in the beam!

My code 0 is 70 m2 and made of kevlar, the halyard is Dyneema, 12 mm. No purchase on the halyard that stays on the selftailer.
Once the whole bowsprit was working OK, i managed to bend the top 2m of my mast and had to replace the mast. The Code 0 is a masthead version. I was inattentive, on a reach of around 80 degr. relative, sailing round an island. As the wind went forward, I just trimmed the sail, the boat accelerated to 12-13 knots, it was great, until I noticed the luff was sagging. Looking up, the top of the mast had bent about ½ a metre!
That's how you burn 10 grand!!! NOT SMART.

I use a German made Bartels endless furler in a size IV, that will handle up to 100 m2 Code 0, and larger asymmetrics/screachers.

The list prices are: Endless furler size IV (180 mm diameter) 570 Euros
Swivel to match: 290 Euros
In total around 1300 US$

I didn't check if they have a US dealer, but their site is here: frameenglisch

The prices are on page 1 of their price list.

It has worked well for me for more than 6 years. Just ease the halyard a few inches before rolling the sail up.

My new mast has an extra set of spreaders to support the top.

Regards

Alan
Old 18-04-2008, 16:41   #378

Boat: Catana 471
I appreciate the cautions, Alan. I assure you I am not approaching this casually.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 19-04-2008, 03:33   #379

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
We was based in Preston, Lancashire, We was based in Preston, Lancashire,
Know it well. I have a good friend who lives there. I'm originally from Liverpool and spent a lot of my youth in Rainford, near Ormskirk. Are you doing the ARC? I work with the organisers on their position tracking and event management software and I'll probably be down in St Lucia for the finish.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 20-04-2008, 21:25   #380

Mike - we are thinking about it and I have follwed the ARC for the last couple of years, plus I have seen you mention your work on other web sites, keep up the good work and I know Rainford well, hopefully will see you across the other side and have a few scoops.
Old 21-04-2008, 03:04   #381

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Kev&Jo

If you do want to do the ARC you've probably got no more than a week or two to get your entry in. As of this morning they have 211 confirmed entries and the limit is 225.

I pack in work (well as a full-time employee) in less than 5 weeks and then Jean and I are heading to the BVI end of June. See you in the sun however you get there!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 21-04-2008, 14:41   #382

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
FP club

I understand the value of boats buyers getting together.I am trying to start a FP club in the US
Also I am spending my day answering buyers requests and making sure that they are happy after they buy the boats
On the technical issues with leaks ....we had them on one boat and I explained how we solved that
For the noise it is overtightening of the rig .Rig are so tight that doors jammed....so no other reason.
For the rest I am on the boats that I sell 365 days a years and I have been on boats for very long as a professionnal
Old 21-04-2008, 14:46   #383

attitude

Let's start the club!!!!
and we do spend a lot of time talking to customers who wnat to spend 200K or less.We do organised sea trials and we keep things in the open.( difficult to do otherwise in the age of internet!)
We realised a long time ago ( and I am sure that FP did as weel) that having contented customers is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
I communicate in English, both by mail and on the phone.

I think forums like these are good for discussing solutions to problems, but even better would be a FP user group, these groups can have a positive influence on the speed at which the factory/dealers respond to customer issues, but also alleviate the load on their service organisation if users can educate each other.

Mr. Guillemin - this is the second time I am encouraging FP users and owners to do this, - and No - this is not a "union" as you suggested on another thread, but it can be a strong lobby. If you as an importer/factory rep. understand how to work with these groups, you can benefit greatly by creating better and easier to sell products in the future, as well as ensure higher second-hand prices for your marque. The downside for you is that issues come out in the open, and you will have to react faster and more positively - or else you will later have to invest alot more time and money in damage control.

The present downturn in boat sales will put added pressure on the high volume builders prices and profits. The ones with a loyal and satisfied customer base will do best in the long term. Maybe the big comapnies aren't really interested in selling one boat at a time to demanding customers who are probably investing a large part of their savings/future income in a boat? Much easier to sell a bunch at a time to the charter compoanies. Then you don't spend time discussing a 2000$ investment....

Regards

Alan
Old 21-04-2008, 16:11   #384

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Philippe
I'm the first to say I'll join the club. Let's get it started! How about a rally in the Bahamas next winter. And a FP owners thread on this site or on a dedicated web site. I joined the FP owners forum on their site but they seem to do nothing with it. If you need help I'm there to help as well, how about FP owners, want to join in?

Scott
Old 22-04-2008, 05:37   #385

club

Scott
I am hiring a girl to start the process.She should start in JUne .I put her in touch with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
Philippe
I'm the first to say I'll join the club. Let's get it started! How about a rally in the Bahamas next winter. And a FP owners thread on this site or on a dedicated web site. I joined the FP owners forum on their site but they seem to do nothing with it. If you need help I'm there to help as well, how about FP owners, want to join in?

Scott
Old 22-04-2008, 07:18   #386

Boat: Alura 30
I'll join too but you all know how hard it is to get people involved in such a thing.I am all for it.a FP trip to the Bahamas would be fun,I have plans to do the Abacos sometime in April next year. We are going to do the dry tortugas and the keys in June,so let's all together have fun.
JC.
Old 23-04-2008, 08:35   #387

Hi All,

Looking for ideas on what and were to put the outboard, if anyone has a good ideas please share it with us.

Just put the boat through it's paces in some testing seas and I am really please with it's perfomance, cant wait to set off.

Kev&Jo
Old 23-04-2008, 09:28   #388

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Kev and Jo
Go to page 19 post 277 on this thread. You will see Lonnie's boat Irecat. He has the same Bimini as my boat and I placed a plywood board on the support post of the bimini you see in the photo. It easily holds my 6 hp outboard as well as converts to a small table to hold my cooking supplies since I placed my grill on the 1 inch S.S. tubing for the life lines. Works great and it allows me a good work space for access to the outboard engine for maintainance. If you would like to see a picture, I'll be out on the boat this weekend and can take a few for you. I've also made 2 cutting boards for the galley, one covers the cook top (giving us more work space) and the other spans the sink for cleaning/food prep. Can send you pictures of those as well.

Scott
Old 23-04-2008, 11:25   #389

Hi Scott,
I would love to see those photos too so it would be great if you could please post them here or send them to me (lstyles@mail.cho.org)
Thanks,
Lori
Old 23-04-2008, 12:18   #390

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi Kev&Jo, we have not yet received our Mahe nr 88, but had also considered where to put the outboard. You want it protected against theft when you're off, and against salt and sun during crossings. What about somewhere in one of the engine rooms? Maybe fix a piece of plywood board in one of the engine rooms and fix it to that? Disadvantages might be:
- handling the heavy weight of the 38 kg 6 HP Yamaha 2 cylinder
- What about having a gasoline tank in the engine room? Not much ventilation, sparks from the alternator and starter motor brushes?
I would appreciate comments on this.
I understood that somebody else put a generator in an engine room; that should have the same gasoline (OK, petrol) risk.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36