Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:27   #136

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Hi there.

My wife and I have just placed an order for a Mahe 36 at last weekend's Sydney International Boat Show here in Australia. I am curious about the changes Kev mentioned for next year's boat. My dealer was unaware of the new colour changes or the additional hatches. Are these options or standard inclusions?

As for the ongoing saga about biminis, I have opted to have ours factory fitted, as I am fairly short at 5'7". I also liked the idea of being able to walk on the hardtop centre to access the lazybag. Has anyone here sailed one with the factory bimini? If so, I am interested to know about your experience.

Regards

John
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12   #137

Boat: Mahe 36
Standard Additions

Hi John,

The additions are standard inclusions and if you want to get an idea of what they look like go on the FP web site and look at the photos of the Orana, there is only one extra hatch not two as I posted earlier, my mistake.

I have sailed the demo boat, which had the factory fitted bimini and the best part of it was the solid centre board allowing you to walk on it to zip up the lazybag.

For myself I am planning to design a stainless steel arch, which hopefully will include the standard centre board from FP, this is really easy to fit having seen it in the flesh. Also allowing me to move the main sheet traveller on top of the arch, plus a sensible place to attach the life raft and tender. The life raft should deploy easily in all conditions, with out encountering any possible snags or orientation of the boat.

The standard optional davits I thought left the tender to low under sail and on our sea trial, which was a very windy day, the tender did get caught a few times.

I am intending to fit photovoltaic panels in the void between the centre board, transom arch, port and starboard hulls. If that makes sense. But the design will also allow me to stretch some canvas in the void as an option.

Also a very convenient place to locate any electronic additions, without drilling holes into the saloon roof. (GPS Ariel, Radar etc….)

I will be going to the Southampton boat show 15 – 16 September to measure up the boat to design the transom arch, which will be incorporating the standard centre piece.

I will be taking some photos of the boat at the show and if you want I am willing to send you some of them.

I have started a blog about our intentions, by all means go and have a look, as some of your country men have already been. Could have been you, who knows!

http://www.mahe36.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your new boat.

Kev
Old 11-08-2007, 00:55   #138

Kev, too right! I am a regular visitor to your blog. While I don't plan to circumnavigate, my Mahe 36 will be a "weekender/holiday home" that will spend a lot of time on moorings or on the hook in different locations, so it will need to be self-sufficient.

I have looked at flexi solar panels, but though you can walk on them, I think they can get dangerously slippery when wet, so I have opted to have rigid ones mounted above the davits. They can, however, be tilted to try and catch the sun's rays.

I will also be having stainless steel railing mounted around the cockpit area, which will give me more room to place such essentials as a bbq. I am hoping that, unlike the barbie on my previous mono which keeps blowing out, I can actually get to use this bbq. While the galley is up top, I'd like to avoid cooking smells and smoke/steam & splatter as much as possible.

John
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04   #139

Kev, thanks for pointing me towards the Orana pics. I like the new colour scheme, as well as the hatch within the windows.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:46   #140

John, no problem, we also like the new colour scheme and the additional hatch will be a god send in the warmer climates.
Old 21-08-2007, 18:01   #141
DtM

Kev,

In your bimini/arch design are you intending to raise the FP centre board above the line of the cabin top?

I would be very interested in your design if you would be willing to share it.

For our bimini our present intention is to use the FP centre board and raise it about a foot above the cabin top and make the bimini run that same foot above the cabin top but leave the helm open as the factory bimini does.

Nothing is set in stainless yet though so I would be very interested in your input.

daniel
Old 22-08-2007, 01:18   #142

Hi Daniel,

I am more than willing to share my design and hopefully get some feedback on ideas and improvements, the old saying two heads are better than one and more than two will be a bonus!

Raising the centre board will be about the available room, which should be between 6 inch’s to a foot, I think, I don’t know yet but as I have said earlier, I will be measuring up in September.

I like you will be leaving the helm open.

I will be drawing the design up in AutoCAD, which should allow me to create a PDF and send you a copy via email. This should allow you to make any comments / suggestions and let me have them back.

I will be taking the drawing with me to the factory visit in early October to get some feedback from FP, which should be interesting.

Will keep you posted!

Kev
Old 22-08-2007, 02:47   #143
DtM

Kev,

My boat (Hull 29) has arrived here so I can give you any measurements you want or I can confirm anything you measure in Southampton. I can give you the measurement between the boom and the cabin/saloon top. You will need to get the curve of the cabin top from the factory. I may have it soon given my broker (as the yanks call him) is at the factory now and getting the drawings of the factory bimini I hope.

I must say that it is everything we thought it would be. the speed is really good.

I have to get used to how to sail a Cat but plenty of time for that.

daniel
Old 22-08-2007, 03:09   #144

Dan,

It’s good to hear that you are pleased with the boat, and excellent news about the speed. (YeeHaa as the Yanks would say)

I am sure between us we will come up with an improvement to our benefit, I will be back in touch as soon as I get started.

Kev
Old 23-08-2007, 03:44   #145

Mahe 36

Hi My name is Chris Bonnet,
I have been the Fountaine Pajot Dealer in Southern Africa for the last 14 years, and have sold quite a few yachts over this period.
At present - we have a Mahe 36 which left La Rochelle, France for Cape Town, and will be at the Cape Town International Boat Show. I have made some interesting modifications to it.

1) To increase the ventilation up forward, I have placed an additional small hatch over the head and third cabin.

2) I have opened up the collision bulkhead so access can be made through the collision bulkhead for stowage -plus increase ventilation from the forward hatch.

3) You may be interested to know - the yacht was caught in a 60Knot gale on the Bay of Biscay - just short of La Caruna, with 12meter high waves. The tactic the skipper and crew adopted (they are sailing instructors of mine) worked very well indeed. - So if anyone would like any information on suvival on this sort of storm - please let me know.

The longest run so far - just North of the Equator was 190miles in 24 hrs. The boat - from Cape Town - after the Cape Boat Show will proceed to Durban and from there - to Mauritius where the owner lives, so we have quite an interesting long distance voyage - and possibly very rough sea conditions to complete.

I have been very impressed with this vessel - and hope to sell alot more to South African clients.

If there is anything I can do to help, or assist - or give any further information to, or photos of the alterations I have made, please`let me know.
Regards
Chris.
Old 23-08-2007, 04:16   #146

Boat: Alura 30
Chris I live in Florida and own a Mahe.we went and got our boat in Martinique last April.I would be interested to hear about the storm tactic used by your crew in the bay of biscay.this is always a nasty place.never had over 30kts with my boat,so 60kts should be interesting.
Old 23-08-2007, 05:09   #147

Hi Chris, I also would love to know how she handled those winds and sea, plus how your crew thought she performed in other wind conditions as a 36ft cruiser, as I am contemplating buying one.
Thanks Ian
Old 23-08-2007, 11:28   #148

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Hi Chris,

In respect of item 3. I think we all want to know! Please post the details.

Cheers
Old 23-08-2007, 18:59   #149

I am actually still waiting for that crazy story about the crazy captain, Coast Guard upon delivery!! Sounds like a great read!! Hope to see it soon and this is a great thread, cheers
Old 26-08-2007, 09:48   #150

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Delivery to Florida

Anyone with a Mahe in Florida who can comment on the delivery proccess?
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36