Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2023, 05:43   #1

Greetings, upcoming retirement, Rental?

Hello everyone. New member here.

My wife and I will be retiring soon. We both work from home and live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada. We love to travel, have a wonderful home in the countryside that we will most likely sell when we retire. We have a few airstreams and will leave one in southern California and thinking of shipping the other over to Portugal.

FP? or other?
We are seriously considering buying and living on a FP. There is something special about the layout and fit and finish that we like. Having said that I would much prefer to rent one for a month or so. As I am thinking we could decide if this is truly what we want to do.

Purchase and Docking Location
We are flexible with the location in the world we put this vessel in but I'm thinking it would be ideal to have it in a climate that enables the lowest total cost of ownership including but not limited to the purchase price and sales taxes. Or does it make sense to buy in one location and ship to another? We already have a remote off-grid property that we will be keeping so spending time "away" from civilization is already covered by that location. So it would be ideal if it's in an environment where we are not isolated and can enjoy great food (my wife is a gourmet chef), great wine and a warm climate that isn't sweltering. It would also be ideal if the international airport wasn't that far away from the port where she would rest. I would prefer not to be surrounded by pretentious people; in that I like to spend my time working on things myself - I am very handy and have built my own homes. I have a desk job, hate the gym and would prefer working physically on projects. Having said that I'm finding as I am getting older, I would like to do fewer large projects as I have come to realize there isn't a shortage of tinkering that can always be done. I think having access to other owners or knowledgeable repair people that are not gouging you like most of the boat industry would be ideal. Somewhere in Europe has our attention as we enjoy it but beyond the places, I have been on business do not feel I have a true and complete understanding as to the best location for a vessel like this. Food, wine and Cigars are a centerpiece of how we like to spend our time relaxing. We enjoy being on vessels but are not ones to go diving or snorkeling. Our swimming entails cooling off or floating with a G&T in hand.

Could be wrong but thought this forum might be a good place to be transparent about what we are hoping to carry out. It's a plan that is malleable and input from real people who own or live on a FP is welcome.

Let me know if you have any questions to further help us consider this phase of our life.
PilotTyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:18   #2

Re: Greetings, upcoming retirement, Rental?

I can't offer any advice but some questions come to mind, and maybe they will help others give answers:

- Do you have the ability to remain in the EU beyond 90 days?

- Do you intend to move the boat around or basically stay in one place, perhaps with the odd day excursion?

- Do you have any power or sail boating experience? Boat insurance could become a question.

Best wishes for you retirement!
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:13   #3

What’s your annual retirement budget you are looking to stay within and how long do you plan on doing this?

Off the cuff it seems like you would be better off doing long term chartering. Pay a little extra to have the boat for a while then be able to hand the keys off when you are done.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:06   #4

Probably several FPs in BVIs that you can charter for a month. You could probably sail SvIs, USVIs and BVIs over a month.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:59   #5

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Have you considered traveling the Great Loop? You can take as long as you wish, have a leisurely two year cruise or you could push and complete it in a long summer. We haven't done it but have had many conversations with those who have done it or are in the process of completing it with no timetable, just leisure time. We're yet to speak with any who claimed to regret the trip.
You can see something new every day or stop at a place you like for a few days, couple weeks, or longer. You have the warm winters in the south then travel north to the Great lakes, Erie Canal and the Finger Lakes (wine country), or Lake Champlain for the more moderate summers. To save money, there are many anchorages and free places to spend the nights. For the two of you, a trawler in the 35-40' range could provide very comfortable living with enough space for an occasional guest couple. If you prefer to travel along with a vessel with an experienced crew, many make the trip so you can likely find another boat or two to travel with.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement