Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 22:41   #166
DtM

Truth is we didn't have a list and ours was an impulse buy when there were none launched and certainly nothing to test sail !!!

It was a good buy (fortunately).

I know when we replace 2gether it will be a much longer process.

Will it be an FP? Maybe not and if it is then we will definitely order it overseas (read into that what you like and you will probably be correct).

That said, our Mahe has been great.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:02   #167

Boat: Gravy
Well put Intentional Drifter,

I guess I’ll just have to cast my eyes back to the horizon, test the wind with my finger and point the bows in sorta that direction again and as soon as I get a list I’ll give a little for all I’ve gotten and post it here. The ensuing debate might be better than TV for the night.
lancelots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 02:50   #168
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
So, DtM, yours was nothing but "boat lust!" Can't even call it "love at first sight". You're not alone; lots of folks are happy with their Mahe.

Although I don't own an FP, I've always liked the hulls and performance, I just never cared for their styling. Now, it seems that with the Orana and Salina, I like their styling, but don't like their hulls!

Maybe the Lipari will be the happy compromise.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 06:32   #169

Boat: Alura 30
Like Dtm we bought our Mahe way before the first one was ever built. When we saw the layout and pictures of what was going to be our boat we loved it. And luckily it worked out just fine,this boat is perfect for us,I can handle the boat by myself,we have lots of space,the inside is well done....I just wish that had ordered an electric winch but I guess that is good exercise.One bad thing I would add is the location of the batteries,very little space to work with.....Over 9000 miles of happy and safe sailing.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 08:20   #170

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Just saw the Lipari at the annapolis show, also saw the Lagoon 400. I love the Lipari. The Lagoon looks great sitting at the dock, Up close, I didn't like the fit or finish on her and wonder how she sails, looks very heavy.
I also bought the Mahe due to lust and a very small check list (one page). The Mahe has been a very good boat for us, and at the time the price was right. Now I'm told that a new one will run around $350,000 without a genset or water maker, Ouch. The Lipari is about $110,000 more than the Mahe. BTW, I don't like the Salina or the Orana, the fit and finish is less than on the Lipari and they are very large boats. I was also told that the Salina sails like a dog by one of the salesman at the show.
Just my 2 cents.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 08:38   #171

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
Folks, TwT PMed me last night and unfortunately he has decided to not give his list of criteria to folks on the forum right now. Apparently he's considering offering it for sale at some point in the future.
What a bloody spoil sport .
We made a scoring spreadsheet before we bought ours and I can tell you now that these things are so personal how you load each item that I can't see it being a very saleable product.
If you want a starter sheet that you can alter to your own preferences mine is available already on the web http://www.tulliana.adaero.co.uk/res...Cat+rating.xls
Its now 2 years out of date and is for a mid 40's cat at the time but you should be able to build your own sheet using this as a template.
Have fun
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 09:50   #172
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
Like Dtm we bought our Mahe way before the first one was ever built. When we saw the layout and pictures of what was going to be our boat we loved it. And luckily it worked out just fine,this boat is perfect for us,I can handle the boat by myself,we have lots of space,the inside is well done....I just wish that had ordered an electric winch but I guess that is good exercise.One bad thing I would add is the location of the batteries,very little space to work with.....Over 9000 miles of happy and safe sailing.
JC.
Hi Jean,
Just a few questions. I delivered one of the first Mahes made. The one that was debuted at the Miami show a few years back. I know FP has made a few changes since then. But I was curious as to a few items I encountered that were troubling and was interested in your input on these items. The Mahe I was on had a very limited electrical system. No breakers on feeder circuits and two fuse boxes in hard to get at locations. One under the aft port bunk, the other behind the starboard shelving. With no written material at all from FP explaining where to find either. Also when we removed the switch panel there was much to be desired, finding an unprofessional installation of a rats nest of unmarked wiring. I also found the factory installed windlass to be anemic as well and constantly tripping the breaker. The two round forward hatch's had a cheap keyed locking device similar to what is found on an office filing cabinet, both of which failed within days of being splashed with salt water. I advised the owner to remove the black tubing guards covering both shrouds. They held water which sat on top of the turn buckles and had already started staining the SS. The running and standing rigging is half the weight as the Athena 38. I know some of these are small items but the one that almost cost me at three in the morning was the double helm seat. We were about 50 miles offshore, it was my watch, auto pilot on, crew was below asleep and seas were about 4-5. Without warning the whole seat broke lose and before I even realized what happened I was down and rolling off the back and barely caught from rolling off the back and into the drink by the SS life lines and two severely bent stanchions. I should have been wearing a safety line, but I wasn't. When I took a look at the seat I saw that it was only secured by eight sheet metal screws into thin and flimsy plywood. Not all was bad, I did think the Mahe sailed and pointed well. Slamming was very limited. The galley was better positioned than the older Athenas. I prefer the two salon hatch's as opposed to the single one behind the mast on the Mahe. I think the newer Mahes hard tops are better than the original that did not protect the helmsman.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:21   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
If you want a starter sheet that you can alter to your own preferences mine is available already on the web http://www.tulliana.adaero.co.uk/res...Cat+rating.xls
Thanks Adaero, your spreadsheet is an excellent starting point. I'm looking at the same list of boats (give or take a few). This will be a big help!

Regards,
Doug
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:27   #174
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Gee, Tellie, that sounds like it was a pretty close call, there. You never told me about that one! Did time "slow down"? Did you have the "life flash before my eyes"? (Sorry, being a shrink I just can't help but ask.)

However, Tellie does bring up an excellent point to consider, that is also related to a discussion on the thread relating to pricing, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-28404-11.html

That is the matter of quality. While the current market is bringing some deals to the fore, it is also putting lots of pressure on builders to cut costs. This is so they can keep prices down, so they can have at least some sales taking place, so they can keep the factories running until the market rebounds.

I've seen the trends over the last several years, especially in the larger volume production builders -- where most of the competition for customers exists -- toward ever shoddier construction methods. You see it in things like Tellie describes and items like flimsy latches, cheap laminates instead of expensive cored veneers, etc. But, you also see it in items like "just barely strong enough" booms, vangs, stanchions, swages, etc. I've seen with my own eyes: a collapsed boom on a Lagoon 440 from where a preventer was rigged half-way on the boom (the booms simply wasn't strong enough to take the force and it bent in two like a cheap spoon); a vang on a Leopard 46 bent 90 degrees when it took a big wave on to the cabin top; a shroud that pulled right out of the swage on a 2 year old FP 43 - the fitting simply wasn't strong enough the forces.

This sort of stuff seems to me to be the result of trying to cut those costs and eek out a bit more profit. That worries me and was one of the big reasons I went with the boat I did -- strength, quality and over-engineering was evident everywhere. After all, it is so easy to get in very serious problems on the water, I want my boat to be everything it can to keep me alive, on top of the water, and moving toward my destination.

Of course, nothing can protect me from my own stupidity, but that is the topic for another discussion, entirely.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:33   #175

Boat: Alura 30
Tellie our boat is hull # 25. We have not had any problems whatsoever with the boat.My seat is still holding but I know somebody who had the same problem as you. I would say the boat does not have enough ventilation,but anyway in Florida you need AC if you are going to use the boat all year long.At the time we bought the boat the price was extremely appealling and I think we got more than what we paid for. Where can you get a 36' Cat for under 200K ? brand new off course.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 15:23   #176

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time
Cat seekers spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
What a bloody spoil sport .
We made a scoring spreadsheet before we bought ours and I can tell you now that these things are so personal how you load each item that I can't see it being a very saleable product.
Its now 2 years out of date and is for a mid 40's cat at the time but you should be able to build your own sheet using this as a template.
Have fun
Ok, I hear you all. Had been wondering how to support my future cruising lifestyle but on reflection a) would have to sell a lot to cover my costs and taste in wines and b) given how much information I get for free from others off this and other websites I will offer my 2 bobs worth of spreadsheet free / gratis / for nix to anyone who wants it.

I need to tidy it up first but if anyone wants a copy plz send me an email address by private message (I dont have a download link) and whether you want it in Excel 2007 or 2003 (2007 version better) and I will forward you a copy on an all care no responsibility basis (I dont want to be held responsible for what you buy if you later come to regret it!)

All I ask in return is that if, after seeing it / using it you have any suggested improvements, let me know and I will add them in (if I agree) so it can be continuously upgraded. BTW it is only designed for cat buyers and is not suggested reading for mono buyers as you might realise what you are missing out on.

Wishing you all fair winds
TwT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 15:42   #177

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time
I've seen the trends over the last several years, especially in the larger volume production builders -- where most of the competition for customers exists -- toward ever shoddier construction methods. You see it in things like Tellie describes and items like flimsy latches, cheap laminates instead of expensive cored veneers, etc. But, you also see it in items like "just barely strong enough" booms, vangs, stanchions, swages, etc.

ID[/QUOTE]

I agree but think that Lagoon and FP have realised that this was a dangerous trend and on their latest models seem to have listed very basic and hopefully better built boats to hit the pricing / quality mark and then offer a wide range of extras (at stiff prices) for all the stuff you actually need. Mind you I did also look at 2nd hand Catana's and was surprised at how badly they had aged. Have also been sailing a near new and expensive Hanse 54 whose boom folded in half at the preventer (apparently Hanse offer a coastal and blue water boom).

The things you can see on inspection worry me less than the things you cant see without pulling it apart. Overall was impressed with the Lipari build quality except the wiring / plumbing layout which had distinct rats nest overtones. If anyone wants to see how wiring should be done take a look at a Lightwave 38 - that's what I call professional workmanship.
TwT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26   #178

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
All FP owners are encouraged to review a post on the Mahe 36 thread (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post369353) announcing an Owners Redez Vous in the BVI's. Anyone planning to attend? We are strongly considering it but need to figure out how to get our boat from Belize to BVI's.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40   #179

Boat: PDQ32
FP rendevous

We will be in the islands at that time and will probably attend.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:28   #180

42-foot '94 FP Venezia. Cruising by ourselves (no delivery captain) for first time late March from Maryland US south to - who knows? As far as we can get into Caribbean. On facebook under Kathy Long Jura. You?
jurakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot