Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 07:40   #136

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
FP Warranty and Customer Support

Seadame,

I agree with you.

FP going forward ambitious strategy should read

This ambitious strategy involves Three (should be Four) key areas:
1) Reinforcement of Warranty and Customer Support (added)
2) Reinforcement of the sales policy
3) Strengthened and invigorated product range
4) Effort expended on innovation involving the concept of Eco Cruising.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:25   #137

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Re: Buying a Helia 44

I agree with the warranty and customer service issues for FP. We still are awaiting warranty work for cockpit / saloon door and window, cleats, davits, and steering. We love our Helia; however, we want to get the warranty issues resolved.

Question for you owners: What is the coring material used on the Helia below the waterline? Might as well tell me what the coring is for the top and sides while you are at it. Yes, I probably should know the answer and at the same time I have had no luck researching the answers.

Onthehook

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 21:28   #138

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
Question for you owners: What is the coring material used on the Helia below the waterline? Might as well tell me what the coring is for the top and sides while you are at it. Yes, I probably should know the answer and at the same time I have had no luck researching the answers.

Onthehook
I am not a Helia owner, but I visited the factory. Anyone can visit the factory with a dealer. FP used Balsa on the hull sides and foam on the tops. I saw Balsa all the way to the keel (i.e. below the water line), at least on the Helia that was in the production line (don't remember the number)... Balsa was visible at that stage of production.

I mentioned this previously in this forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...n-91053-3.html) and people who have not seen a Helia at the factory told me I was wrong. Frankly, I did not care enough to argue... I know what I saw and I bought a Lagoon, which I also saw at the factory. I just did not want to be a FP test case.

On a positive note, FP people said that they are using Vinylester resin to deal with future osmosis problems. Few other good companies like Viking and Tiara, I believe, use balsa successfully below the water line.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 08:11   #139

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I am not a Helia owner, but I visited the factory. Anyone can visit the factory with a dealer. FP used Balsa on the hull sides and foam on the tops. I saw Balsa all the way to the keel (i.e. below the water line), at least on the Helia that was in the production line (don't remember the number)... Balsa was visible at that stage of production.

I mentioned this previously in this forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...n-91053-3.html) and people who have not seen a Helia at the factory told me I was wrong. Frankly, I did not care enough to argue... I know what I saw and I bought a Lagoon, which I also saw at the factory. I just did not want to be a FP test case.

On a positive note, FP people said that they are using Vinylester resin to deal with future osmosis problems. Few other good companies like Viking and Tiara, I believe, use balsa successfully below the water line.
Balsa core below the waterline isn't a new build or design, R & C have been doing it for years. Nothing wrong with it until the core gets wet, then it's just more involved to fix. I haven't heard of any problems with balsa core on Leopards or Moorings cats. (but not many Leopard owners on CF)

I'm still somewhat puzzled why FP went with balsa. One of their main competitive features for years, imo, was light weight due to foam core. I can only guess their struggle with infusion and osmosis forced them to go with balsa?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 09:51   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I'm still somewhat puzzled why FP went with balsa. One of their main competitive features for years, imo, was light weight due to foam core. I can only guess their struggle with infusion and osmosis forced them to go with balsa?
It is my understanding that the reason for going to Balsa was more structural stiffness (if that's the right word).

I agree that Balsa below the water line is not a problem as long as it is done correctly. I sincerely hope that FP is doing it the right way. Only time will tell...
Old 29-07-2013, 20:59   #141

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I submitted this coring question to my dealer, Tortola Marine Management, and I received this response back today. I have attached the PDF file that was sent to me and issued by Fountaine Pajot. Looks to me like the entire hull and deck is cored with balsa.
I do have to put in a plug for TMM as my Fountaine Pajot dealer and my charter company. They have been fantastic in all respects since we purchased our Helia 9 months ago and placed our boat in charter management with TMM.
Thanks to everyone for their help with this question.
Onthehook
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DDFSTR054034_a_Coque zone sandwich (2).pdf (87.4 KB, 324 views)

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 06:37   #142

Community Sponsor

Buying a Helia 44

onthehook17,

That pdf clearly gives you all the info you need on the Balsa core layup.

Note: Its solid glass on the bottom 200mm (8 inches), so that is why you see the water inlet valves on the center line in the bilges, also rudder post and engine bed are in solid glass.

Can you see if TMM will give you the Mast Height above the water?
This question came up earlier, but some said the info was not correct.

All my info states that the Helia 44 Mast Height above the water is 63' 7" ft.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30   #143

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

We are heading down to Tortola this weekend to pick up our Helia, "MapleCookie" after her delivery voyage. They had to stop twice to re-bed leaking hatches en-route. Being a shipbuilder, I have difficulty with this sort of thing when FP brag about how they spray test the hatches during the build. I would be really interested if you & others could share details of your particular warranty issues so we can keep our eyes peeled for the same next week.
NSfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 18:02   #144

Community Sponsor

Here are a few pictures of the engine room stern section. Its solid glass on the bottom 200mm (8 inches) and balsa on up the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310007.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	65145   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310008.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	65146  

Name:	core.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	65147  
Old 06-08-2013, 22:54   #145

Just when FP seem to have resolved their "osmosis issues", they are now putting balsa laminations below the waterline. Does the company have a death wish?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 23:13   #146

Boat: Lagoon 440

Provided any through hulls/penetrations are correctly done there won't be any issues.
It's usually let down by people attaching things to the hull (inside or out) with no thought to possible issues they create by water ingress to the core, more so with freshwater whether above or below the waterline.
Old 06-08-2013, 23:31   #147

Still, it is a pretty risky move on FP's part, given their history of problems. I hope it works out for them. Personally, I would have chosen the safer way of no Balsa below the waterline.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50   #148

Community Sponsor

Hand Rail

A few Helia 44 owners have said they are adding another hand rail down the port and stb. walkway.

Anyone thinking of purchasing a Helia 44 should consider adding these in as an upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helia44 hand rail 3.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	65255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia44 hand rail 4.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	65256  

Old 09-08-2013, 05:40   #149

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Just when FP seem to have resolved their "osmosis issues", they are now putting balsa laminations below the waterline. Does the company have a death wish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Still, it is a pretty risky move on FP's part, given their history of problems. I hope it works out for them. Personally, I would have chosen the safer way of no Balsa below the waterline.
Balsa below the waterline is not a death knell, it hasn't been a problem for R & C (Moorings & Leopard).

From a maintenance POV, balsa simply requires a different method for skin penetrations.

What bothers me more is the additional weight that balsa brings vs. foam core.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:06   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Balsa below the waterline is not a death knell, it hasn't been a problem for R & C (Moorings & Leopard).

What bothers me more is the additional weight that balsa brings vs. foam core.
True, R & C boats are durable and balsa cored below the waterline. They put a thick layer of fibreglass outside the balsa to protect it from damage and subsequent water intrusion. I'm not sure about the glass thickness in the Helia.

Balsa core is stiffer than foam with the same thickness of fibreglass skin. Therefore it's possible to make a lighter boat boat using balsa. Perhaps this is FP's reason for the change to balsa core. I worry about the durability and longevity of balsa cores with thin covering skins in a real life cruising world. Particularly on hull sides and bottoms. Time will tell.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Helia 44