Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 02:04   #76

Boat: FP Lucia 40
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

We have the 2 drawer fridge and the freezer on our Lucia 40 and are very happy with this setup.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:21   #77

From what I’ve been told the fridge and freezer come in the same spot in the kitchen. That is why they are mutually exclusive. 90liter only in the freezer because of thicker isolation?
JanPieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:04   #78

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Thanks One_Day_More and JanPieter.
All the pictures and videos I have seen show a freezer in the galley, and a 2-drawer fridge to the right of the cockpit/salon door, presumably as in One_Day-More's Lucia configuration. This seems to be the optimum combination to me, but I'm not sure what option(s) need to be selected to achieve this configuration on the Astréa 42.
I welcome any clarification existing Astréa owners may be able to shed on these options as listed in the equipment list. Thank you!
Christophe
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:07   #79

The 2 drawer fridge is ‘standard’, the fridge or freezer in the kitchen is one of the options you mention. The cockpit fridge is much smaller and is annother option.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlemaire View Post
Thanks One_Day_More and JanPieter.
All the pictures and videos I have seen show a freezer in the galley, and a 2-drawer fridge to the right of the cockpit/salon door, presumably as in One_Day-More's Lucia configuration. This seems to be the optimum combination to me, but I'm not sure what option(s) need to be selected to achieve this configuration on the Astréa 42.
I welcome any clarification existing Astréa owners may be able to shed on these options as listed in the equipment list. Thank you!
Christophe

We don’t mind the freezer in the galley as the 2 drawer fridge is in an excellent location on our Lucia 40 and also as we would see it, on the Astrea 42. I actually see having the freezer on the port side along with the rest of the galley is an advantage for weight distribution. On our Lucia 40 there is possibly slightly too much weight on the stbd side.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:34   #81
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi Christophe:
Your assumption is correct. The spec is VERY confusing. If you dig carefully in the standard spec there is a reference to 'cold storage volume' or equally odd reference which doesn't work in English (or French!). It refers to the fridge which is included as standard - a 2 drawer unit as you mentioned inside main salon door (great fridge btw, lots of storage). The option therefore for the mutually exclusive units are for either an extra galley fridge OR freezer in the galley peninsula to the right hand side of the cooktop. If you look at the videos from La Grande Motte, you'll see that Hull #1 has a Freezer in that location (which makes sense).
The added cockpit fridge is a different unit sitting in cockpit under the helm station. Its expensive and looks small (I still went with it as a cold beer is priceless )
Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2018, 17:19   #82

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Astrea 42: Owners?

We recently put our 2013 Helia 44 up for sale, and have put down a deposit on a July 2020 Astrea 42.

No idea on a hull #. We have Hull #11 on the Helia - it will be a nice change to have some real world experience with this model before having to finalize our options.
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 18:02   #83
BKC

Hi Dochueb:
Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure you'll have no problem selling your Helia - great boat. And you are right about the benefit of getting an opportunity to see it 'live' before spec'ing your own. Between some vague FB spec info and options which seem to still be in flux, it should make it much easier.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:23   #84

Congratulations to the new owners! Many of the contributions in this thread have made me think of things I never would have considered. I thought I really liked the swim platform, but the weight concerns make sense. My wife and I believe we have found what we are looking for in the FP 42 although we are about as newbie as you can get. We are currently reaching out to DYC to determine if this is going to be possible for us as I would not be able to afford a new one without the charter option. Can't wait for some of your deliveries so we can hear more from you. Thank you for all the information to date.
Almo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:36   #85
BKC

Hi Almo:
Welcome to the thread and glad it has been helpful so far. We spend weekends in NH all year round up at Lake/Mount Sunapee. Launching my fun Hunter day sailor for the season this weekend.
Happy to advise in any way based on our experience so far. Some of the DY programs look pretty good for when you want reliable costs, flexible places to sail etc. We've met folks who have participated in the Sunsail/Moorings programs also and were very happy with how it worked out after the 5 years. DY bases seem to be smaller, with more of them.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:17   #86

Can someone tell me more about pro’s and contra’s for the platform at the back-end? Any reviews available from other models(saona,...)?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:32   #87

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanPieter View Post
Can someone tell me more about pro’s and contra’s for the platform at the back-end? Any reviews available from other models(saona,...)?
We have a 47 in our charter fleet with the platform. It is very nice for hanging out behind the boat. Otherwise it is just a bunch of heavy steel with to many moving parts that costs to much money.

How you are going to use your boat would be a driving factor on the decision to buy it. Light coastal cruising and living aboard it would be a plus. Charter or offshore work not so much. It also cost just as much as a basic new car. As manager at a bare boat company it scares me every time the boat goes out. It has to be up and fully engaged to lock. What happens when a following sea swamps the 12 foot tender full of water? How is that weight going to effect the mechanism and the boat?

If your going to put your boat in charter buy the standard davits. If your going cruising have someone build a really nice arch with solar that gets your dinghy up out of the water. Twenty grand would do that and then some.

My .02
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:51   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
We have a 47 in our charter fleet with the platform. It is very nice for hanging out behind the boat. Otherwise it is just a bunch of heavy steel with to many moving parts that costs to much money.

How you are going to use your boat would be a driving factor on the decision to buy it. Light coastal cruising and living aboard it would be a plus. Charter or offshore work not so much. It also cost just as much as a basic new car. As manager at a bare boat company it scares me every time the boat goes out. It has to be up and fully engaged to lock. What happens when a following sea swamps the 12 foot tender full of water? How is that weight going to effect the mechanism and the boat?

If your going to put your boat in charter buy the standard davits. If your going cruising have someone build a really nice arch with solar that gets your dinghy up out of the water. Twenty grand would do that and then some.

My .02

Thanks for that no holds barred assessent . Would like to hear from a live aboard or coastal sailor as to their views. From an older perspective it seems as if it would have an advantage in much easier access to an from the cat. Also I noted reference was made to a 12 ft dinghy ( 3.66 m). With a smaller dinghy thus would lesson the apparent and real water filled weight.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:18   #89

Curious as to how many are buying their Astrea with a 179 tax program?
JCuezze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:44   #90

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Not us.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote