Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 10:50   #1

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa
win 10/ 4.8.6 hanging / ublox vpc

Have been using opencpn on android, pc etc for many years so au fait with set up etc.

Now, new HP win 10 laptop using a usb gps sensor with (following advice on this forum) the ublox VPC driver. All fine and dandy with data on putty and old Atmel GPS View 2.1A showing all as it should be. (am aware of com port release delay when changing apps on previous versions of windows).

All OS software at latest versions.

When I fire up OpenCPN 4.8.6 it hangs as the toolbar display comes up. If I uninstall the u-blox driver and restart, OpenCPN is fine (but obviously nothing on Putty or GPSView).

Same problem if I use GPScomplete.

Have ordered a win-10 compliant GPS mouse anyway.

BTW thanks for a great piece of software and all the hard work (plugin people included)!
Old 20-09-2018, 03:24   #2

Unhappy Re: win 10/ 4.8.6 hanging / ublox vpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmarks View Post
Have been using opencpn on android, pc etc for many years so au fait with set up etc.

Now, new HP win 10 laptop using a usb gps sensor with (following advice on this forum) the ublox VPC driver. All fine and dandy with data on putty and old Atmel GPS View 2.1A showing all as it should be. (am aware of com port release delay when changing apps on previous versions of windows).

All OS software at latest versions.

When I fire up OpenCPN 4.8.6 it hangs as the toolbar display comes up. If I uninstall the u-blox driver and restart, OpenCPN is fine (but obviously nothing on Putty or GPSView).

Same problem if I use GPScomplete.

Have ordered a win-10 compliant GPS mouse anyway.

BTW thanks for a great piece of software and all the hard work (plugin people included)!

Update 20 Sep 18:
Have been all round the houses with ublox virtual com port, FRS Gate (nice piece of software, use windows sensor API for input from Win 10 compliant mouse). With all of them I get clean $GPRMC sentences visible in Putty, and with frsgate transmitting via bluetooth to my Android tablet/OpenCPN correctly.

HOWEVER, I still get OpenCPN 4.8.6 not responding on the PC (during toolbar load) and have to kill it. Did a fresh install. Followed instructions at https://rtklibexplorer.wordpress.com...x-usb-drivers/ to rollback to Miscosoft's own virtual com port driver - all gps sentences were being put out cleanly and visible in putty. But still OpenCPN 4.8.6 is locking up on toolbar load - obviously putty session was closed and only OCPN accessing the com port. Stumped...!
Old 20-09-2018, 04:24   #3

CLOSED: Re: win 10/ 4.8.6 hanging / ublox vpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmarks View Post
Update 20 Sep 18:
Have been all round the houses with ublox virtual com port, FRS Gate (nice piece of software, use windows sensor API for input from Win 10 compliant mouse). With all of them I get clean $GPRMC sentences visible in Putty, and with frsgate transmitting via bluetooth to my Android tablet/OpenCPN correctly.

HOWEVER, I still get OpenCPN 4.8.6 not responding on the PC (during toolbar load) and have to kill it. Did a fresh install. Followed instructions at https://rtklibexplorer.wordpress.com...x-usb-drivers/ to rollback to Miscosoft's own virtual com port driver - all gps sentences were being put out cleanly and visible in putty. But still OpenCPN 4.8.6 is locking up on toolbar load - obviously putty session was closed and only OCPN accessing the com port. Stumped...!
CLOSE REASON:

This has now been resolved following another fresh installation during which I opted to remove the config files. I do not know what the problem was, but following the latest re-install I imported the original opencpn config files and all works fine now. FWIW I am now running with the Microsoft com port driver on com6 having rolled back the windows sensor API driver. I hope that all this helps someone somewhere.