Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 14:52   #1

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
VPC slipping in clutch

I just got a new halyard - 7/16" VPC - and it is slipping in my (older) Spinlock CAM-0814 clutch. Since the clutch is marked for 5/16 to 9/16" line I did not expect a problem. Is there some way to adjust the holding on this clutch? Is there something else I can do without a visit to a chandlery?

Thanks, Doug
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:29   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: VPC slipping in clutch

There are a couple of things that I've seen:

The teeth on the cam wear over time and loose their ability to grip slippery new rope. The cam can be replaced for less than a new clutch, but not cheaply. visual inspection will help determine if that is the cause of slippage.

You don't say if the new line is the same diameter as the old. Often folks downsize when goiing to higher tech line, and despite what the mfgs say, holding power is less on smaller line. You can bulk it up by adding a cover in the area where the cam grips the halyard. There are specially designed cover materials available, but you can use a bit of the cover from an old piece of line that you have laying about. IIRC Nick from Jedi posted some nice photos of the methods he uses, and a search should ferret them out.

Good luck~

Jim
Old 28-01-2018, 15:47   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Thanks Jim,

I definitely downsized. My old halyard was a bit too bulky and would not run through the opened clutch without a fair amount of friction so we were always having to pull line through to drop sail.

Looking now for posts by Nick from Jedi.

Doug
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:52   #4

Boat: Able 50

The cheapest solution would be a few feet of sleeve material.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 18:21   #5

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Very few rope clutches will hold the main or jib halyard without some slippage. The clutch clamps onto the jacket, which has some give, and allows the core, which takes the load, to slip somewhat.
Ways to handle this:
1. Leave the halyards on the associated winch after hoisting (what most racers do). If not using a self tailing winch a cleat is required to hold tension on the line.
2. Add a second clutch in series with the existing one.
3. Use a "winch release" clutch which has a firmer grip than the typical "manual release" version.
4. Use a 2:1 halyard to reduce the load at the clutch. To make this work the loaded length of the line needs to be the same diameter as the original halyard.
5. Stitch "load breaking" points through the jacket and core every 5 meters or so along the halyard. I have done this with an older halyard on which I did an end-for-end update, which required shifting the jacket along the core. It seems to work.
6. Aside from sending a crew aloft to tie off the halyard and installing a masthead halyard lock, neither of which anyone is doing, that's all I have.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 18:33   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Have a rigger insert a small diameter - around 1/8 inch - cord inside the core where the line holds in the clutch.

Also, check as I think Spinlock makes a smaller diameter set of teeth for that clutch.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch