Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 12:31   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Tracker: AIS Feature Requests

Hi Dave
Sent you a private message with a link to my google drive.
Old 15-04-2014, 16:54   #32
Marine Service Provider

Paul, et al...

OK, I got the test logs.

OCPN 3.3.1606 does the right thing with these logs, insofar as it goes. The "real" test creates an alarm condition, draws a jaggy circle around the target, and pops up the AIS query dialog for this target.

See the pix.

The FS#802 Feature Request calls for more. Especially, per-target(MMSI) handling for various conditions. This is all good, and will be implemented as resources allow. As designers may agree, the real slow part of implementing this sort of thing is the UI dialog to set this fiddly stuff up, tested on all three platforms (6 if you allow for 32-64 bit-ness).

So, is there anything in FS#802 that we really need right now, and could be done by requiring the user to manually edit the .ini file, with no UI (i.e. Options->??) impact? This latter part is relatively fast to implement....

Comments appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SART.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	79416  
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 17:21   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Bdcat I am perfectly willing to edit ini file to add the three or whatever mmsi! It already works. That is great. Is there any chance of accessing the drive so I can download the test files? Thanks so much, I am sure the other features will eventually be appreciated; but the main needs are the alarm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 18:06   #34

Bdcat just read FS #802 and wonder if the alarm includes a loud sounder and if not would watchdog plugin with proper nmea phrase serve that function? or should sound be in with ais mob because of nature of the alarm?

Thanks very much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-04-2014, 16:29   #35

Before going into very specialized AIS features, I would suggest making the AIS presentation S-52 Preslib compliant. This would help not only keeping it standardized, but also considerably reduce the clutter problem experienced with many AIS targets and discussed here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-106660.html

There are many additional improvements possible in AIS presentation without resorting to filtering targets out, but a good start is implementing S-52 compliance.

This is based on a post I made in the BR24 radar project: https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/issues/16

A problem with the AIS presentation in OpenCPN is that it's not IMO S-52 Preslib compliant.

1. All AIS targets should be a hollow triangle, no fill colour is allowed.
2. Normal targets are always blue, regardless of Class A/B or type of ship.
3. Dangerous targets (if implemented) are red.
4. Sleeping targets (if implemented) are blue and smaller.

When scale allows, targets can be drawn to scale around the GPS position, with or without the not-to scale symbol inside as well.

Using these S52 standard symbols there is rarely any problem with hiding information, neither chart-based nor radar-derived.

Targets based on radar information are green, for example ARPA targets are green circles (since their orientation is not known). Most professional systems do target correlation between AIS and radar, and a target that has identity and heading from AIS, but position updates from radar, are green triangles in every ECDIS system I have seen.

I have attached a sample of a S52 compliant presentations. Also the own-ship presentation is S52-compliant, something I dearly miss in OpenCPN. It's also allowed but not mandatory to draw own-ship to scale when possible in chart scale. I'm running parallel to Jutlandica on her starboard side. You can see both to-scale and standard AIS symbols. (BTW, also the waypoints and route lines are S52 standard, they should be orange.)

Red (Dangerous) AIS target:

Transas Navi-Sailor ECDIS, AIS & ARPA target fusion (vector partial time marks are optional):

/M
Shipraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 18:30   #36

I do not think you need to rigidly tied to the S-52 build OpenCPN not ECDIS and is not going to be him.
I want to add to the above, that would not be bad to have a color division of AIS targets on the type of vessel. With the ability to customize the color.

MaxSea AIS/ARPA Tracking Function in English - YouTube
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 07:47   #37

Recieved an answer from Raymarine about McMurdo AIS PLB MOB
Raymarine E80 + AIS 650 + McMurdo AIS PLB MOB - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

It will work, with Dangerous Target Alarm but not MOB alarm, and you will have the MMSI Number and Target to find MOB.

Perhaps this is why it would be better if Opencpn can show MOB and alarm.

Tags
ais