Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2021, 08:50   #1

Touchscreen

Hi there, I have OpenCPN running on a Raspberry Pi 4 hooked up to a Waveshare touch screen. The touchscreen works well when looking at other apps on the Pi (so for example web browsing where I can zoom by drawing two fingers apart) but on OpenCPN I can’t seem to get beyond point and click - so touching the + magnifying glass to zoom in. Should i be getting more touch functionality - and if so can anyone steer me towards settings I need to check?
Thanks
Lukesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 17:12   #2

Re: Touchscreen

Two finger zoom is not supported by OpenCPN on RPI. To be honest I rarely needed it. Using +/- buttons was fine during my trips. What you really be missing is right click emulation, which is solvable by additional program. You can either install this image of marine os for rpi4 (see download link on the page) https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen
which comes with it and lots of other improvements for marine specific stuff and touchscreen. or you can add evdev-rce app. Check documentation on https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/

Cheers,
—MG
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 03:42   #3

Thanks for the response. Is the marine OS you refer to something one loads instead of Raspberian, or in the same way that OpenCPN sits on Raspberian, with OpenPlotter sitting over that is this, in effect, another layer that sits above all of those to bring together OpenCPN/Plotter?

Ie would I “start again” or would I build on the OpenPlotter/SignalK that I have already put in place?

In the short term I may try the evaded-cre app - if I can work out what that is and how to add it, but come back to the marine OS as an upgrade project.

Cheers
Luke
Old 14-01-2021, 04:05   #4

This is going to sound really dumb as I am very new to all of this - but what do I “do” with evdev.rce? As in download the code and then what. Run the file from a command line prompt somehow? Is it a one off or do I have to somehow get it run at each boot up? [As I say - very new to all of this!!!]

Also is there a reason why I should not also try to install twofing?

Having spent some time reading through your bareboat-necessities documentation it looks brilliant - and will definitely be trying to work out how to amalgamate it into the existing boats kit.
Cheers
Luke
Old 14-01-2021, 04:49   #5

Follow on to previous question. I worked out what to do and now have long press working fine. Now to twofing if I can find my screen details!

Thanks
Old 14-01-2021, 08:04   #6

Twofing is buggy. I’ve used it and it causes more issues than it solves. The image of marine OS I sent is based on raspberry pi arm64 with most open source marine app built in. At least I suggest you to try it on a separate SD card and you could compare what you built so far with what that image provides.

Cheers
Old 14-01-2021, 08:12   #7

Will give it a go as you suggest on a new card. I have already played around with twofing and got it working with my waveshare screen. If it proves “buggy” do I just delete the twofing folder to go back to normal?
Old 14-01-2021, 08:52   #8

Touchscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesavage View Post
Will give it a go as you suggest on a new card. I have already played around with twofing and got it working with my waveshare screen. If it proves “buggy” do I just delete the twofing folder to go back to normal?

You can just prevent twofing from auto starting.

Tags
screen