Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 03:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Tactics Plugin -- Output Calibrated TWA and TWS to 0183?

Having looked at different solutions for getting calibrated wind data, I have been intruiged with the O Tactics plugin.

Looks like it does everything I need, except just one thing: The plugin will output NKE format data over 0183, which without NKE instruments I can't use. Wouldn't it be childsplay to make it output the corrected TWA/TWS data over 0183? Maybe also calibrated (corrected for heel angle, perhaps boat motion?) AWA/AWS?

Then I could get it onto my instruments! Feed this datastream into my Zeus plotter's 0183 listener port, then set the Zeus as the source for this data for the network -- then it will display on all my instruments!

Seems to like a lot of people would like to do this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:14   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Tactics Plugin -- Output Calibrated TWA and TWS to 0183?

Dockhead, are you using RPI or Linux? If so, I think you might want to look at Petri's DashT 2.0 plugin which has signalK as well. Part of it is based on Tactics, but it encorporates the entire O Dashboard and then takes that a lot further. It is more sophisticated.

I would be interested in what you think.. I have prepared an earlier version of this for the O Plugin Manager which hasn't been updated recently. It does not have the same graphics and feature set as v2.0, but you could try that.

Let me know what you think, and perhaps we can accommodate your request later, but we're quiite busy now with a big move of plugins and updating them for PI manager

Let me know what OS you are using please.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dockhead, are you using RPI or Linux? If so, I think you might want to look at Petri's DashT 2.0 plugin which has signalK as well. Part of it is based on Tactics, but it encorporates the entire O Dashboard and then takes that a lot further. It is more sophisticated.

I would be interested in what you think.. I have prepared an earlier version of this for the O Plugin Manager which hasn't been updated recently. It does not have the same graphics and feature set as v2.0, but you could try that.

Let me know what you think, and perhaps we can accommodate your request later, but we're quiite busy now with a big move of plugins and updating them for PI manager

Let me know what OS you are using please.

I'm using Win 10 on a reasonably powerful mini-PC.

I'll study Dash-T -- thanks!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-09-2021, 17:59   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dockhead wrote:

...output NKE format data over 0183, which without NKE instruments I can't use. Wouldn't it be childsplay to make it output the corrected TWA/TWS data over 0183? Maybe also calibrated (corrected for heel angle, perhaps boat motion?) AWA/AWS?

I think you are right. but let me look into this further. Tactics was made by Tom R. and his boat had nke.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 22:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dockhead wrote:

...output NKE format data over 0183, which without NKE instruments I can't use. Wouldn't it be childsplay to make it output the corrected TWA/TWS data over 0183? Maybe also calibrated (corrected for heel angle, perhaps boat motion?) AWA/AWS?

I think you are right. but let me look into this further. Tactics was made by Tom R. and his boat had nke.

Cool!
Walt Whitman
Old 29-09-2021, 08:44   #6

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Dockhead wrote:

Rick, the MWV sentence contains a field where the wind reference is reported (Relative or True). Using that sentence twice, everything can be sent: AWA, AWS, TWA and TWS.
Also the normalized sentence MWD is used to send TWD.

These two sentences are understood by everyone. I don't really understand very well what the proprietary NKE is used for in this case.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, plug, plugin