Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 18:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Which Software Packages Capable of Pushing Calibrated Instrument Data Into the Networ

I need better calibrated speed and wind data, calibrated for heel angle and separately for gain and offset. And the ability to get information calibrated to the boat's polars.

The classical solution to this would be the B&G H5000 with the Hercules level of software. About $2400 is the best price I found and that is without the display, but I think the system can be controlled from ship's computer via the "web server" interface.

But blurb on the Deckman software platform implies that this will also do the trick. Will it? Without an H5000 in the system?

Expedition?

Any of these expensive software solutions would be a bargain compared to the expensive B&G hardware, if we can get them to fulfill similar functions.

All you need to make this work is the ability for the computer you're running the software on to output at least 0183 sentences. Then you make it a source and, even though you already have various wind and speed data on the network, you can choose this source for what you display on the instruments -- and Bob's your uncle.

Anyone doing this? I'm sick and tired of uncalibrated instruments and I need to solve this before our big race in June.
Old 10-04-2021, 23:23   #2

Boat: Y40
Re: Which Software Packages Capable of Pushing Calibrated Instrument Data Into the Ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I need better calibrated speed and wind data, calibrated for heel angle and separately for gain and offset. And the ability to get information calibrated to the boat's polars.

The classical solution to this would be the B&G H5000 with the Hercules level of software. About $2400 is the best price I found and that is without the display, but I think the system can be controlled from ship's computer via the "web server" interface.

But blurb on the Deckman software platform implies that this will also do the trick. Will it? Without an H5000 in the system?

Expedition?

Any of these expensive software solutions would be a bargain compared to the expensive B&G hardware, if we can get them to fulfill similar functions.

All you need to make this work is the ability for the computer you're running the software on to output at least 0183 sentences. Then you make it a source and, even though you already have various wind and speed data on the network, you can choose this source for what you display on the instruments -- and Bob's your uncle.

Anyone doing this? I'm sick and tired of uncalibrated instruments and I need to solve this before our big race in June.
Expedition could probably take care of the Gain and Offset calibrations of your sensors and it has also capabilities to calculate motion compensated true wind. And it's polar and GRIB info based route optimization algorithms are probably the best on the market. But I am not sure it can output calibrated info to your plotters...
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 23:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Which Software Packages Capable of Pushing Calibrated Instrument Data Into the Ne

So -- is the H5000 system the only system capable of doing this?

I would think that this would be simple to program -- just output serial data from your Rasberry or ship's computer and then run that through an 0183 to N2K converter. Then just choose that device as the source for your corrected data.
Old 12-04-2021, 00:58   #4

Boat: Y40

You don't need both. And because you prefer the CV7 wind sensor I am not 100% sure the heeling compensation in the H5000 can be tailored for the CV7. If this is not possible, you have just one option, the RPI with mglonnro's upcoming software.

The challenge here is however the very tight schedule. Although the calculations are reasonably straight forward, the setup needs to be tested and it is almost certain that improvements and adjustments are needed before you have a properly working entity. And then you need several loggings made during real sailing conditions in order to find the right calibration coefficients for your boat.
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisseH View Post
You don't need both. And because you prefer the CV7 wind sensor I am not 100% sure the heeling compensation in the H5000 can be tailored for the CV7. If this is not possible, you have just one option, the RPI with mglonnro's upcoming software.

The challenge here is however the very tight schedule. Although the calculations are reasonably straight forward, the setup needs to be tested and it is almost certain that improvements and adjustments are needed before you have a properly working entity. And then you need several loggings made during real sailing conditions in order to find the right calibration coefficients for your boat.

The H5000 uses a table of corrections which you can populate with coefficients via either the display or from a computer via the "web server". So certainly can be tailored to the CV7 but how long it would take to gather the data I have no idea. I will have a few weeks on the boat to work with it before the race so perhaps I could have it somewhat programmed.

Mglonnro's software will push data back to the network? It is capable of outputting corrected data in serial form? Or what? Added to the fact that he has been working with a CV7, makes this intriguing.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51   #6

Boat: Hanse 388

Quote:
Mglonnro's software will push data back to the network? It is capable of outputting corrected data in serial form? Or what? Added to the fact that he has been working with a CV7, makes this intriguing.
It will! If the NMEA gateway allows me to I've talked to the N2K network before, but that has just been in the form of ISO information requests ("send me your device information, please") and I'm unsure whether there are some restrictions as to what I can send. If it works, it's would be just like you say: select the RPI as the data source, and voila.

I'll look into it as soon as I get to the boat (see attachment: we're getting close!)

I don't have a CV7 btw. An uneventful B&G 608 only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 14.20.03.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	236383  
Old 13-04-2021, 11:29   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
It will! If the NMEA gateway allows me to I've talked to the N2K network before, but that has just been in the form of ISO information requests ("send me your device information, please") and I'm unsure whether there are some restrictions as to what I can send. If it works, it's would be just like you say: select the RPI as the data source, and voila.

I'll look into it as soon as I get to the boat (see attachment: we're getting close!)

I don't have a CV7 btw. An uneventful B&G 608 only.

The data source will be the serial to N2K converter. In my case, my Zeus Z8, the 0183 listener of which is now free since I now have native N2K depth and speed. All I need is a USB to RS422 converter (which I have lying around somewhere) et voila

There is no limit to what can be put into the N2K network other than translatable 0183 sentences. I'm not a computer guy but this looks almost trivial to me. Previously I had analogue speed (CS4500) and depth hooked up to an Actisense DST box outputting 0183. Hooked that up to the listener port of my Zeus and it worked flawlessly. I just set the Zeus as the data source for Depth, Speed, Temp.

Today is my last day to order an H5000 (I'm off to Helsinki on Thursday) and I think I won't do it. I think I'm going to play around with one of these software packages. I don't need yet another computer in my boat -- I already have a good ship's computer connected to the network and connected by Ethernet to radar and plotters.
Old 15-04-2021, 08:48   #8

It works

Old 15-04-2021, 16:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, fantastic!!! So how do I get my hands on this beautiful software??
Old 15-04-2021, 21:48   #10

Quote:
OK, fantastic!!! So how do I get my hands on this beautiful software??
Well, that was just a proof of concept (of how to talk back to the instruments), so unfortunately there is no software yet..

I'll post here when I have something to share!
Old 17-04-2021, 02:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, so it looks like the only way to get calibrated instrument data into my network would have been with H5000. I am already back from the States and I doubt that I will want to spend the money to acquire this system in Europe.

The good news is that different software can at least give me this data on the ship's computer and possibly on a rugged tablet (which I already have) in the cockpit.

Expedition is one.

Or maybe the OpenCPN tactics plug-in: https://www.opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwik...ailing:tactics

Which looks very interesting. Anyone using this?
Old 22-04-2021, 14:03   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Expedition, as it turns out, will push elaborately corrected speed and true wind data into an N2K network:

https://expedition.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1551

Using an NGT-1, which I have. You just appoint the NGT-1 as the source for TWA, TWS, STW.

Apparently more fiddly than just simply using an H5000, which is what the racers all do, apparently. See: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...omment-7506674
Old 25-04-2021, 03:22   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I've pretty much settled on this solution. I will be on the boat tomorrow (at long last!!) so will start working on it.

My thinking has evolved after a certain amount of work. The CV-7 apparently has an internal heel correction. I would be really interested to know if Mglonro has been able to verify this.

Another thing I learned about the CV-7 is that apparently the offset can be calibrated inside the unit. I have an email into LJCapteurs tech support on both of these issues.

The racers I have talked to say that it is much easier to do calibrations in the H5000 than it is in Expedition. But I think my calibrations aren't that complicated, especially if don't need to do much with the wind sensor.

So I think Expedition it is. I don't have that much time to learn the software, but I think I can figure out the functions I need. My boat network is very well set up already for Expedition, with ship's computer already hardwired in with ethernet. I already possess the NGT-1 which Expeditions wants to talk with the N2K network. So if I end up calibrating just STW data on Expedition, it should be simple to push that data into the network and set my MFD's and instruments to recognize the NGT-1 as the source of STW data. If I end up fiddling with the wind data, that can also be processed in the same way.

Hopefully then with very accurate compass data from the SCX-20, I should have some kind of usable true wind data. With usable (if not perfect) true wind data, then I can build up some polars which will be usable for routing.

Another interesting trick will be getting my OSenc charts to work with Expedition.

With more or less usable true wind data in the network, the SailSteer and other Zeus functions should finally work! I am hoping so at least. It is quite cruel of Navico, to put those lovely functions in the Zeus plotters, when they don't actually work without the H5000.

Tags
cal, men, rum, software