Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2022, 11:18   #1

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925
Quality of Graphics in Brand new Computer

I am thankful that I fixed the problem on my Tablet (Windows ARM64) because the graphics now look great.
At last, boat's computer arrived yesterday. I chose Pico Pantera at Crow Funding because of its size, and it seems to have good features and DC 12volts.

Now with the problem:
1. OS type & version
Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 installed ‎25/‎06/‎2022 OS version 22000.778

2. Computer Equipment: Manufacturer & Model
XDO-AI / model Pantera / Pico PC–8-256
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4125 CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
RAM inst. 8,00 GB (7,82 GB usable)

3. Graphics card: Manufacturer and Model
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600

4. Opencpn version and Plugin version: Must be from the official download page (unless you are testing)
OpenCPN 5.6.2
o-charts 1.0.27.0

5. Description: What was done leading up to the problem. What occurred and what you think the problem is.
Arrived computer and done the complete set-up, upgraded to windows 11 pro x64, carried out all maintenance to update programs, drivers, etc.
Installed OpenCPN, needed plugins, downloaded o-charts and doing a copy of parameters of Surface by comparing screens and click in the same data, not copies the file itself onto new computer.
After all, comparing screens and clearly shown that Surface has much more clear lines and better graphics than the mini pc.
Double check if graphics driver is the latest included OpenGL driver too (attached after update from Intel website)
Of course, rebooted PC after each step, but graphics are not of the quality of Surface (I understand that resolution of Surface is 2880X1920 and my PC is connected to a monitor 1920X1080) the main difference is in the circles of points of interest in maps, also in the distance circles of the vessel that are too thick and in boundaries that appears a thick grey line, attached same screen shot taken in PC for comparing with Surface.
Also, in visualization – advanced – size of screen if I leave in auto on every program start it makes a mesh on symbols and target so I have to manually measure the width of the screen and leave it as 476 mm, that is the real size.

6. Opencpn.log and Opencpn.ini or Opencpn.conf files attached to a post in thread as .txt, .doc or .pdf
If the file is too big you made cut log file sizes down to the last 2 or 3 starts of Opencpn.
Attached screen-shots of both computers and both log & ini as zip file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surface_screenshot.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	260032   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-701_screenshot.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	260033  

Name:	Intel_graph.png
Views:	54
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	260034  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OpenCPN.zip.pdf (12.3 KB, 14 views)

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 11:56   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: Quality of Graphics in Brand new Computer

My boat computer has an almost identical specification - same processor, same RAM, same graphics but only Windows 10. I have no problems on board with a full HD monitor 1920x1080.
For test purposes and updating I connect it to my UHD 4k home TV 3840x2160 and also have no display problems at all. I'm sure your problems are not due to OpenCPN but with your graphics set-up or drivers. I certainly had to get the latest drivers from the Intel website as the ones that Windows installed were rubbish.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
I'm sure your problems are not due to OpenCPN but with your graphics set-up or drivers. I certainly had to get the latest drivers from the Intel website as the ones that Windows installed were rubbish.
Hi Hoolie,

the first I've tried after seen the result was going to Intel website and download the latest driver for the graphic adapter, so now I'm really lost what could be?

Old 27-06-2022, 02:15   #4

We have slightly different versions of the graphics drivers:

Yours-
19:32:28.093 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1246 OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600
19:32:28.093 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1255 OpenGL-> Version reported: 4.6.0 - Build 26.20.100.6813

Mine-
15:20:58.069 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1246 OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600
15:20:58.069 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1255 OpenGL-> Version reported: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.8681

But I can't see that would make any difference at all to the line widths! The only thing I suggest is you carefully compare your OpenCPN settings on each of your devices. Good luck
Old 27-06-2022, 02:22   #5

Hi Hoolie,

thanks for your answer, I downloaded and installed the latest stable version for the graphic adapter from Intel, but there is also another in beta stage.
I've gone screen by screen copying the settings from one to the other and only some minor adjustments to better viewing in the PC.

FTB I'm really lost, now I'll going to the boat to fit the computer, I'll see what can I do?

Old 27-06-2022, 02:27   #6

Comparing the .ini files might show some differences between your systems. I have had the .ini file get corrupted with very odd and unpredictable results.
Old 27-06-2022, 02:29   #7

I'll compare the .ini file.

the link for drivers:
https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/search.html#sort=relevancy&f:@tabfilter=[Downloads]&f:@stm_10385_es=[Gr%C3%A1ficos,Familia%20de%20gr%C3%A1ficos%20UHD%2 0Intel%C2%AE,Gr%C3%A1ficos%20UHD%20Intel%C2%AE%206 00]&f:@operatingsystem_es=[Windows%2011%20Family*]

Old 27-06-2022, 09:15   #8

I've to say that at this time I'm crying and flooded in tears.

arrived new computer on Saturday.
prepared everything checked that OS is registered
Upgraded to windows 11 pro x64
installed necessary updates, driver, programs
checked for connectivity
installed OpenCPN with home devices for testing
installed o-charts
everything fine except for these lines in former messages.
downloaded latest driver for graphics that includes OpenGL and same display but no problem to work with it.
fitted on board, setup the plugins, connected to multiplexer and auto-pilot, good working.
installed the beta drivers for the graphics from Intel website and more or less the same, no improvements in those lines and arch.

now, windows update has make a .... and it decided to download again the former driver and installed by itself downgrading the driver, the system asked for reboot and .......

computer at home unable to start, I've has been able to set in the EUFI to start from USB in order to, I suspect trying to make a clean install, if I can.

now making SCANDISK C: /F /V and some sectors marked as unreadable.

Old 27-06-2022, 10:30   #9

Sorry to hear that. I'm quite relieved none of my PCs meet the MS criteria for update to W11. Early days for a complex new version of the operating system.
Old 27-06-2022, 14:36   #10

Boat: Najad 34

Corsair..
I'd a old PC with a similar bad graphics driver from Win.
https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how...cific-drivers/
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 17:18   #11

Thanks to all you,

it has been a real nightmare to recover the computer, first this computer has only available the access to the UEFI via windows, and how you do when you have no windows installed/working?
well I manage to access to it and start computer from USB in order set-up a clean windows 11 install.
four times I had to remove partition and format because the computer didin't want to do normal operation, at last it started and again all the setup of the computer itself.
when everything was fine I needed to go to toilet and I kick on the power wire disconnecting in the middle of a operation, close to heart attack restarted computer and no harm

started with OpenCPN, no problem, this morning before computer crashes I save the .ini file in OneDrive, so I started for the first time OpenCPN and installed plugins I had before and closed the program and used recovered .ini file also because I was afraid of not recovering the o-charts installed.

as expected the lines of the range rings are too thick maybe because of the settings of the old file.

after recovering the charts I closed the program again and used a copy of the .ini file deleting all concerning to display, except areas of plugins, and directories and starte from scratch the setup.
when selected the range rings again draw as thick lines, of course it was a s test, closed and recovered the old .ini file.

FTB been I can survive with such ring, but is there not any variable in the .ini file that control the thickness of the circles ??

attached screen-shot of the result.
and again I have to set the width of the screen manually otherwise it make me a mesh with symbols randomly on starts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Range_rings.png
Views:	41
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	260170