Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2023, 08:50   #1

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
OpenCPN Wifi Data Transfer PC to Tablet (windows)

I run O on a Windows PC hardwired serial/USB to instruments NMEA 4800, AIS NMEA 38400 and Radar via RJ45.

The instruments and AIS are also wired to a Quark A031 that broadcasts data over wifi to a Windows tablet.

I input wp's and routes on the main PC and they appear on the tablet as if by magic. But not the other way tablet to PC. Neither do wp's or routes entered on the tablet get uploaded to the GPS.

I have been through the manual and the info provided by Nevermind.

Is this because the PC is wired so is not actually part of the network? Although this doesn't explain why when trying to upload wp's to the GPS it shows the TCP address correctly but nothing happens.

Not a fail here as the system works flawlessly for my purposes as I never plan routes or upload them from the tablet but just trying to understand.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 14:07   #2

Boat: Cal 27
Re: OpenCPN Wifi Data Transfer PC to Tablet (windows)

Look at the bottom of the page located at https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...alk-converter/.

Note this comment: "However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive multiplexer with 2-way WiFi ...".

This seems to imply your tablet can't send data back to the Quark (i.e. the A031 is 1-way vs 2-way) so it can't share the waypoints and routes. I don't know 100% that is your issue as I didn't check the user manual available for download. But I think it's a good candidate for an explanation.
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 11:07   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: OpenCPN Wifi Data Transfer PC to Tablet (windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
Look at the bottom of the page located at https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...alk-converter/.

Note this comment: "However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive multiplexer with 2-way WiFi ...".

This seems to imply your tablet can't send data back to the Quark (i.e. the A031 is 1-way vs 2-way) so it can't share the waypoints and routes. I don't know 100% that is your issue as I didn't check the user manual available for download. But I think it's a good candidate for an explanation.

Thank you... yes I had a false start initially and had to get a Protocol Bridge. Never occured to me that there were more sophisticated units. It all works fine for my purposes and can see now that if I need to go the other way I should get a 2 way WiFi multiplexer.

You have saved a lot of head scratching.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, wifi, wind