Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 10:31   #61

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.2 Released

In Windows, Regarding the grib_pi selection box.
1. I thought there was a change to eliminate the change from @ symbol to red X, such that the selection box action is only done when the manual selection menu is open. Thus I recall that @ would not change to a red X, and we would go into the Manual Selection menu and pick the box from there.

This version seems to have changed a little, perhaps back to the old way for some reason, perhaps with additional code and improvements, with click on @ and a prompts for a selection box, then there is a red X after selection. and we can enter the selection menu.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58   #62
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Install Zygrib. does all the work to get the right Gribs for your area.

Bram
Thanks but I don't like Zygrib. It is very limiting and has very poor usage of screen real-estate on small screens. I do like its metogram functionality so I'll give it that.

I'm not looking for advice on what software to use. I use saildocs and other sources and manually write my own email requests. I then generally use ViewFax to look at the GRIBs as the interface is really clean and just works. I don't like the clutter involved in viewing GRIBs in OCPN.

I keep testing it. I do use it to overlay GRIBS on weather charts and have played with the weather routing on a couple of ocean legs now.

I am simply pointing out a potential bug.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:49   #63

I'm having a problem that is not only 4.8.2 Ubuntu (also confirmed on 4.6.0 Win 10).

I'm sitting here in Nassau harbour and decided to change my NMEA source connection from USB (from a Miniplex mux connected to my N2K backbone to Wifi (connected to the ethernet switch). My AIS is supplying data to the N2K. All is well with the data apart from one perplexing problem.

I have 4 mammoth cruise liners within 1/2 a mile and was surprised that they don't show on OCPN when fed over ethernet/wifi. Targets outside 1NM (exactly) show but not inside. This is not the case when collecting the information from USB.

The N2K data is repeated onto the Ethernet by my B&G plotter but I'm having difficulty (no tools) to determine whether the AIVDM messages for ships within 1NM are making it onto the network or not otherwise I would provide more diagnostic information so it may, or may not be a bug. I'd welcome suggestions on tools/techniques to help track this one down.

Thx
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:57   #64

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Just went back and checked selection of grib area under windows and I think it is working well. You can select from the @ if you have manual selection checked and you can select from within the next menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
In Windows, Regarding the grib_pi selection box.
1. I thought there was a change to eliminate the change from @ symbol to red X, such that the selection box action is only done when the manual selection menu is open. Thus I recall that @ would not change to a red X, and we would go into the Manual Selection menu and pick the box from there.

This version seems to have changed a little, perhaps back to the old way for some reason, perhaps with additional code and improvements, with click on @ and a prompts for a selection box, then there is a red X after selection. and we can enter the selection menu.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:40   #65
Marine Service Provider

cagney, et al...

I have corrected cm93 error on GRIB region mouse select. Root cause was mismatched OpenGL push/pop in the red zone outline render code, leading to GL stack overflow. Affected linux only. Probably affect all ENCs.

In github master now.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:48   #66

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
cagney, et al...

I have corrected cm93 error on GRIB region mouse select. Root cause was mismatched OpenGL push/pop in the red zone outline render code, leading to GL stack overflow. Affected linux only. Probably affect all ENCs.

In github master now.

Thanks
Dave
That patch works for me.
Thanks
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52   #67

In 4.8.2 there is a new feature that I have not tried during the beta test period.

Quote:
New setting TrackLineColour in opencpn.conf
Adds the ability to set the colour of the track line.
I can't get this to work. Anyone else with better luck ??

Thomas
Old 12-02-2018, 10:27   #68

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
In 4.8.2 there is a new feature that I have not tried during the beta test period.

I can't get this to work. Anyone else with better luck ??

Thomas
Seems good here - Changed it to TrackLineColour=#00FF00 setting is in the [Settings/Others] section of the configuration file and all my tracks are green after the next start (Edit the file when OpenCPN is not running).

EDIT: BUT, it seems to work only when zoomed in enough... Which seems to be a bug (Which is now fixed in git master).

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:02   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Seems good here - Changed it to TrackLineColour=#00FF00 setting is in the [Settings/Others] section of the configuration file and all my tracks are green after the next start (Edit the file when OpenCPN is not running).

EDIT: BUT, it seems to work only when zoomed in enough... Which seems to be a bug (Which is now fixed in git master).

Pavel
Pavel

For some reason I could not get 4.8.2 to work. Your patch seems to have fixed the problem and now it works as expected.
Thank you!
Thomas
Old 12-02-2018, 16:39   #70
Marine Service Provider

cagney...

Yes, that was broken.
Thanks to nohal for the patch.

Dave
Old 13-02-2018, 17:16   #71

OpenCPN Version 4.8.2 problem with oeSENC 1.7

I am using openCPN Andoid Version 1.0.16 Base 4.8.2 with oeSENC 1.7 on a Galaxy Tab Active2 with an Android 7.1.1 and I have problems with the vector cards. The configure Button of the oeSENC plugin is greyed and the fingerprinted downloaded oeSENC card isn't be displayed.
KAP cards work well.
I would be happy about any hint.
Kind regards
Rolf
RolfMenzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:56   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Pavel

For some reason I could not get 4.8.2 to work. Your patch seems to have fixed the problem and now it works as expected.
Thank you!
Thomas
Changing the color of your own old tracks makes the display clearer. Gone are the days when you don't know if a magenta line is one of your own old tracks or someone else's AIS track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180213_204410.png
Views:	65
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	164116

Red: Own current track (at anchor).
Green: Anchor watch radii.
Yellow: Own old tracks
Magenta: AIS track from passing ship.

Thomas
Old 14-02-2018, 07:00   #73
Marine Service Provider

RolfMenzinger...

For oeSENC access on Android, please try Settings->Charts->oeSENC Charts. From here you will be able to access the o-charts website and directly download your purchased charts. The fingerprint process is performed automatically.

This process is somewhat smoother on Android than on the classic OpenCPN, and uses a dedicated oeSENC user interface.

Thanks
Dave
Old 14-02-2018, 08:55   #74

Boat: Halmatic 30

Raspberry Pi3 info.

Updated the Linux Jessie version with Openplotter version to 0.17. Updated the kernel to 4.14.18. And did the other Linux updates. Then switched the system with the large Linux Stretch update.

The VC4 driver to on.

And to my surprise OpenGL works now in OpenCPN 4.8.2 with very fast screen movements. What an improvement !
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:44   #75

Boat: Lagoon 500

I have come across a small issue with OpenCPN_4.8.2. I am running on a 2015 MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.13.3. All is working great except for:
Going to Toolbar/Options/Plugins/Grib 4.1/Preferences; OpenCPN freezes when you check "Authorize interpolation to start at current time" (a warning first followed by a freeze requiring a "Force Quit" of the application).
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn