Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 14:48   #181

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Quote:
Just confirming crash from first grib line selection in Vista..
And, Significant wave height,M: 110340.45 ?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23   #182

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Thomas (Cagney)....

On reflection, this is the reason I had used GC calculations for route legs before. The traditional calculation for Mercator sailing is "undefined" for due east or west directions. In fact, the math produces "0 divided by 0", which I directly check for and assign the value "zero".

I am still using GC distance for Measure tool, for the same reason.

What to do? I suppose some hybrid is called for, where if the course is "near enough" to 90/270, then I simply compute distance as though one were sailing along a parallel.

distance is then something like

(delta longitude) * cos(lat)...... or something like this.....

Comments and discussion from experienced traditional navigators welcome.

Dave
Some kind of hybrid is indeed called for.

One option is to use plane sailing if the latitudes are "close",
diffLong * cos Lat / sin C which is your formula above if the Lat:s are exactly the same. The weakness of plain sailing calculation is the problem of which Lat to use for the calculation. In this case with the same, or nearly the same Lat , an average of the two Lat:s must be "good enough".

Another thought is to add a small value to one of the latitudes and go on with Mercator distance as usual. If dLat < 0.001 then Lat2 = Lat2 + 0.001, or something similar. Exactly what value to use might need some testing,the error introduced this way must be very small.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 16:31   #183

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave,

The rhumb line is a straight line on a Mercator projection. The easy generation of rhumb lines was the reason the Mercator projection was invented. Great circle lines are needed for ocean passages. Rhumb and great circle lines are both required for composite passages. This is way the OpenCPN routing functionality should allow for the selection of either type of routing between waypoints. The distance calculations need to match the route type.

Regards,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 23:50   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello folks...

OpenCPN Version 1.3.5 Beta Build 1210 is available now.

58. Add NMEA Data Monitor window.

Dave
Does the NMEA Data Monitor window only apply to input?

It would be nice to be able to select the Data Monitor window for either input or output data.

How about selecting Data Monitor by COMM ports?
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 05:46   #185

#49 in the change-log:

Neither the update or "Force full database rebuild" works. Not even the old fashion way of changing the directories included works.
Restarting OpenCPN is the only way to actually rebuild the database.

Further testing leads to the conclusion that the case where a chart-file changes but keeps the same name, has not been considered. The first file read with a certain name is kept in memory for the duration of the session.

Thomas
Old 13-12-2009, 08:56   #186

Boat: Privilege 39
I'm finding the latest build has some sort of a chart database issue. Haven't had time to diagnose further, but basically I just have one directory with CM93, S57, and BSB all dumped into it in various directory structures. When zoomed way out I can see the vector charts, but once I go in to larger scale charts, only the BSBs show up. Been working fine until the latest build (and actually worked fine in this build until I removed the sample charts from the list, forcing a rescan). I have tried rebuilding the database, etc. Looks to be an issue in how the database is built, as it worked fine until I rebuilt it. I'll diagnose it further... Anyone else seeing anything similar?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 09:29   #187

Boat: Multihull : Prout Quest 33CS
This day : "make" and one error with ubuntu 9.04 :

"In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:24,
from ././include/nmea.h:113,
from src/chart1.cpp:240:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:179,
from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/unix/gsockunx.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from ././include/nmea.h:113,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h: In member function ‘wxSocketError wxSocketBase::LastError() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:118: error: ‘struct _GSocket’ has no member named ‘GetError’
In file included from src/chart1.cpp:250:
././include/grib.h: At global scope:
././include/grib.h:76: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration
make: *** [chart1.o] Erreur 1
jfc@JFCMS:~/INSUBUNTU/opencpn_12-13-09_18.24_cvs$ sudo make install
g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/opt\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal -I././src/grib -I././src/grib/bzip2 -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -DocpnUSE_GTK_OPTIMIZE -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -MT chart1.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/chart1.Tpo -c -o chart1.o `test -f 'src/chart1.cpp' || echo './'`src/chart1.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/unix/gsockunx.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h: In member function ‘wxSocketError wxSocketBase::LastError() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:118: error: ‘struct _GSocket’ has no member named ‘GetError’
jfc@JFCMS:~/INSUBUNTU/opencpn_12-13-09_18.24_cvs$

thanks for help
Jean François
jfch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 09:35   #188
Marine Service Provider

Chart Database

Cagney....

Just so I am clear:

1. If you change a chart, and thus change its file modification date, but keep the same name and path, then that change is not picked up, neither on auto nor Force Rebuild. Is this correct?

2. To get the new chart, you need to delete chartlist.dat and restart opencpn. Is this correct?

Just so I know where to look....

btw, this was exactly the case I was trying to get right, automatically. Evidently, I missed.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:44   #189

Dave

1 Yes, that is correct. I was actually converting a WCI chart to BSB, when I noticed. To start with the name, scale and depth units were wrong. I corrected the header, produced a new .kap. I dropped this new .kap in the same place as the old one, and answered "yes" to overwrite the old file with the same name .... and nothing changed, whatever I tried.

2 I did not delete "chartlist.dat, just restarted OpenCPN. That was enough to activate the changes to the .kap file.

Thomas
Old 13-12-2009, 10:56   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfch View Post
This day : "make" and one error with ubuntu 9.04 :

"In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
jfc@JFCMS:~/INSUBUNTU/opencpn_12-13-09_18.24_cvs$ sudo make install
g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/opt\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal -I././src/grib -I././src/grib/bzip2 -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -DocpnUSE_GTK_OPTIMIZE -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -MT chart1.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/chart1.Tpo -c -o chart1.o `test -f 'src/chart1.cpp' || echo './'`src/chart1.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
jfc@JFCMS:~/INSUBUNTU/opencpn_12-13-09_18.24_cvs$

thanks for help
Jean François
jfch

Let me guess....glib has just been updated in Ubuntu 9.04??

Try the fix for Ubuntu 9.10!
More about that in this post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post363670

In short try this:

* sudo gedit /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h
* find and comment out line 120 (which reads typedef struct _GSocket
GSocket by prepending //
* build opencpn
* edit giotypes.h again and uncomment line 120 (important ;-))

A bit of a fiddle, but it works. We are all waiting for an update to
glib/wx-widgets, to go back to normality again.

Thomas
Old 13-12-2009, 11:58   #191
Marine Service Provider

Database

Cagney...

To clarify:

Did you have opencpn running and the chart in question on screen when you copied the replacement file?

I think I get it. We need to purge all charts open or cached by opencpn if the database is updated in any way. Then they will be reloaded from the new database when needed.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 12:47   #192

Dave

Affirmative.

Once I had copied the new version of the chart, with the old still running on screen, nothing short of restart brought the new version up. Not even going down to the CM93 directory only, as a chart directory, forcing a rebuild of database and then forcing a new rebuild with the raster directory in question included, brought up the new version.

Thomas
Old 13-12-2009, 13:04   #193

Boat: Privilege 39
Regarding my issue in post #186, specifying each directory (CM93, S57, and BSB) individually in the chart config seems to have resolved it. Curious.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 22:25   #194

Boat: Beneteau 411
COM Ports limited to 15

When OpenCPN is used on Windows, COM ports are limited to the range COM1 to COM15 (chart1.cpp line 4862). That would normally be OK if we were using physical COM ports but with USB-based devices, Windows keeps assigning a new COM port number when the same device is plugged into a different USB Port or Hub (this is because these devices generally dont have a USB serial numbers). As a result COM port numbers keep increasing. Recently my PC was assigning COM ports in the 100 range and last weekend (after changing the boat USB hub) my autopilot ended up on COM22...

I would like to suggest that the full range COM1 to COM255 be allowed to bypass this Windows "feature".

Note: if the ever increasing COM port number is annoying you, Google "COM Name Arbiter".
BernardOfCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 01:57   #195

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
There's got to be a way round that.. I did have a similar problem where windows would assign an arbitrary COM port number to a friend's USB GPS upon plugin. Allegedly it's possible to assign a fixed number in the device manager (it should be really!) - didn't work for me. I worked around it by giving my friend instructions to boot with the device aleady in the same USB port every time.