Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2009, 11:58   #46

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
LONG DISTANCE VIRTUAL AIS RECEIVER VIA 3G

Some of you with long distance WIFI connections on board,or 3G to PC connection, may be interested to set up a feed to Siitech's FREE world-wide AIS network, which will enable you to follow ALL AIS equipped targets in the areas covered by the Siitech network. It may also be possible for boats with GPS only to transmit their NMEA data to Siitech via 3G or similar fast connections. We already have examples of boats transmitting mixed AIS and GPS data over 3G to the Siitech network.

You will then be able to access the data here for free:
Old 24-09-2009, 12:07   #47

Boat: a sailing boat
LeaseOnLife - you are half way right - have a look how this has been adressed by various manufacturers (SH, Simrad, e.g.). Now, the OpenCPN would have to adjust the output for each specific VHF make ...

It is one of the lovely DSC functions that manufacturers went completely wrong at implementing. Common practice and a very bad one.

Interestingly, while the AIS target call is so poorly implemented by the gig shots the other nice function - showing your DSC caller on the plotter seems to be available via the NMEA 183 (right, wrong?).

I hope the N2K will positively add to the ways of managing the issue.

BTW How is OpenCpn on N2K, and can a DSC caller's position be displayed on the chart ?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 12:11   #48

Boat: Sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Some of you with long distance WIFI connections on board,or 3G to PC connection, may be interested to set up a feed to Siitech's FREE world-wide AIS network, which will enable you to follow ALL AIS equipped targets in the areas covered by the Siitech network. It may also be possible for boats with GPS only to transmit their NMEA data to Siitech via 3G or similar fast connections. We already have examples of boats transmitting mixed AIS and GPS data over 3G to the Siitech network.

You will then be able to access the data here for free:
Great, I do have internet (slow, more like 1G) via my cell phone. But what settings do I need to change to see all ships in the New York Harbor?

Screenshot 1 is opencpn
Screenshot 2 is the website. There must be a way to see more detail?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn-vs-sitech-1.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	10113   Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn-vs-sitech-2.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	10114  

LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 12:18   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
LeaseOnLife - you are half way right - have a look how this has been adressed by various manufacturers (SH, Simrad, e.g.). Now, the OpenCPN would have to adjust the output for each specific VHF make ...

It is one of the lovely DSC functions that manufacturers went completely wrong at implementing. Common practice and a very bad one.

Interestingly, while the AIS target call is so poorly implemented by the gig shots the other nice function - showing your DSC caller on the plotter seems to be available via the NMEA 183 (right, wrong?).

I hope the N2K will positively add to the ways of managing the issue.

BTW How is OpenCpn on N2K, and can a DSC caller's position be displayed on the chart ?

b.
Thanks barnakiel!

As I stated, I need help with this. Can you point me to the different implementations for DSC calls, then I can summarize it and make it a proper feature request. A selection of a VHF radio manufacturer should not be out of question, maybe supporting some big manufacturers first....

I don't think there is any "DSC caller display" implemented yet, write up what you would like to see... maybe examples good or bad, how other programs / manufacturers do it.
Old 24-09-2009, 15:28   #50

LeaseOnLife..

The FREE version, Web VTS Lite only uses the google Map,Terrain and Satellite displays but their paid versions uses the NOAA BSB maps all over the US. See 'siitech.com' This is NOT a navigating program but for vessel traffic surveillance. To get more details just zoom in.

As there is very little NMEA data uploaded,the speed of your connection is not so important. Do you by any chance have a radar with a data outlet point? In which case you can also relay ARPA targets to our network for display in Web VTS Lite.

You set up a data feed via an TCP/IP converter and connect to Siitech's server through a supplied IP number and Port.

We normally have an AIS receiving station in Manhattan linked to our network,but the owner is away on business until the end of next month so there is no data coming in at the moment.
Old 24-09-2009, 15:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
LeaseOnLife..
We normally have an AIS receiving station in Manhattan linked to our network,but the owner is away on business until the end of next month so there is no data coming in at the moment.
Thank sinbad

this explains it. This is what I meant with more detail, not the chart details...

I am moving all the time, leaving the US by end of Oct. Then I won't have internet via cell phone anymore. I won't be able to feed data into the system...
Old 24-09-2009, 15:59   #52

Boat: Newport 30
How do YOU receive AIS data?

There seem to be many ways to acquire AIS data, including simulators and web sites, but I'm interested in how the folks on this forum, both users and beta-testers, are getting the AIS signals & porting those signals to openCPN. Realistically speaking, the feeds generated over various web sites (marinetraffic.com, sitec.com, etc) are no good for "real world" navigation, as 3G, wireless, etc. are not considtently available away from the coast, so what method are you using? VHF to sound card input? Dedicated AIS receiver? AIS Transponder/Receiver?

Appreciate your replies,

jerrymc
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 19:53   #53

jerrymc..

As with all navigation intelligence,it is the summa summarium of all the various inputs which gives us the most probable picture. All information,complete or not, is important.
A dedicated AIS receiver will give you information of all AIS carrying vessels within your range. A long distance (5 miles or more) WIFI connection can give you a much extended range of information where there are covering stations. The same with a 3G connection to the internet. Also be aware that many of the free AIS websites do not show targets in real-time and are often delayed by hours. In short, you use any facility that is available to you at any time.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
There seem to be many ways to acquire AIS data, including simulators and web sites, but I'm interested in how the folks on this forum, both users and beta-testers, are getting the AIS signals & porting those signals to openCPN. Realistically speaking, the feeds generated over various web sites (marinetraffic.com, sitec.com, etc) are no good for "real world" navigation, as 3G, wireless, etc. are not considtently available away from the coast, so what method are you using? VHF to sound card input? Dedicated AIS receiver? AIS Transponder/Receiver?

Appreciate your replies,

jerrymc
I have an older single channel receiver (SR161). Separate antenna 10ft above the water. Range >20Nm from the big ships. Some smaller ships show up at the 10Nm range. If I were to buy a system today, I would get a dual channel receiver. I like the new Icom receiver. I do think the AIS receivers will be integrated in VHF radios by more manufacturers.

I am getting all the info needed about ships around me. I am with you, the internet feeds have some value for shore bases, but for the cruiser underway, I only care for ships close to me.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:13   #55

Send a message via AIM to pixitha Send a message via Skype™ to pixitha
Just wanted to add a small note: I'm not a sailor nor do I even own a boat, but I have got to hand it to you for making one of the best open source apps Ive seen in a long time. Awesome job! Keep it up.
pixitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 22:49   #56

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
AIS Reception Gear Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
I have an older single channel receiver (SR161). Separate antenna 10ft above the water. Range >20Nm from the big ships. Some smaller ships show up at the 10Nm range. If I were to buy a system today, I would get a dual channel receiver ... I am getting all the info needed about ships around me ...
I have essentially the identical setup (SR162/dedicated VHF antenna on Questus backstay radar mount). From time to time I can see ships at ranges over 50 NM from a position in a sheltered harbor in NJ USA, this notwithstanding the VHF line-of-sight reception one would expect under normal circumstances.
Old 25-09-2009, 08:08   #57

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
AIS-GPS setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
There seem to be many ways to acquire AIS data, including simulators and web sites, but I'm interested in how the folks on this forum, both users and beta-testers, are getting the AIS signals & porting those signals to openCPN. ....

Appreciate your replies,

jerrymc
Real AIS receiver, connected to PC real serial port4, swallowed by a software multiplexer called Fransons GPSGate (despite the name this digests any kind of NMEA 0183 input), muxed up with GPS data fom a Navilock GPS mouse on virtual port 8 and a GPS data from a Qstarz Bluetooth GPS logger.

GPSGate assigned several virtual ports for a handfull navigation & data display programs, all of them are happy - only openCPN likes to crash. openCPN receives the combined AIS_GPS data at port 15.

GPSGate occasionally feeds the AIS-signal to Sinbads and marinetraffic.com AIS site directly too, surprisingly the ships pop up in both at the same time ;-)) obviously they have a MMSI lookup feature too, often I have no name, but the online AIS plotters show names

My AIS receiver antenna sits on our building shed, about 10m above water level, 0.5nm inland and reception is about 25nm, surprisingly reaching into a 15nm distant bay with quite high mountains inbetween. I could never establish a VHF connection to a big marina there, but AIS catches signals, propably not all, but some.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 18:52   #58

My GPS broke down and I wanted to test OpenCPN. I found this cheap ($29.95)
GPS and virtual port simulator software which is configurable and capable of
following waypoints so you can actually follow your boat on a virtual trip.

Have a look:

I have this facility in my Fugawi Marine ENC and I remember in Norway planning my summer cruise to Denmark and Germany during the winter months sailing the route on a virtually basis several times. When I finally did the cruise I remembered every mile of the passage. This I can now also do with OpenCPN.
Old 26-09-2009, 09:04   #59

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOB View Post
To All,
Nautical Charts and safety!!!
The most important issue about navigation is SAFETY!
And to keep yourself in safe, everybody MUST USE THE LAST EDITION OF NAUTICAL CHART, UPDETED TO THE LAST NOTICE TO MARINERS.

I would like OpenCPN has a way to make correction on charts
EOB,

Just to update you on the original thread discussion. the safety and copyright issues were discussed then. The solution seems to be not to alter the original chart/s but to use an overlay vector layer using the KML or GML vector file format. Much of the iconography is available via the S57 library in OpenCNP, etc but it is still a major project to complete.

The general idea was not to create entire charts but pilotage or correction pilotage chartlets - providing a scale-in data where none existed on charts intended for commercial large shipping. In my area of South East Asia, I am not aware of any small craft harbour/anchorage data. That said, I have 9 gigs of regional GIS shapefile and geotiff information from which I could derive some useful pilotage information. I can also see marinas and other private small craft facility providers creating and maintaining their own online data. It might not be 100% accurate (tide information might be lacking etc), but when combined with a good lookout and alert seamanship, it would provide an extremely useful tool.

My guess is the development will be achieved in many stages, with the KML overlay inclusion probably being one of the first tasks. Some of the more complicated tasks is the light icon generator and tidal information will be headaches ...you might have have zigzagged your favorite anchorage in an inflatable using your own depth gauge and GPS but the readings you have will be chart datum plus tide relative to time - converting that data to pure chart datum is appallingly difficult as all the information has to be point converted by time. In some regions, such as Brittany, the tide can drop by as much a 2-3 meters as you transit 2 waypoints an hour apart. calculating you run across the bay as the tide is in flux is kinda fun.

I think there is plenty of good discussion to be had before coding is started, and a new thread needs to be started once contributors are free to start. For me, I have to deliver a GIS project mid December so the New year should see me with time to play more with this.

Rhoel
Rhoel_Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 12:49   #60

As a point of interest,I am receiving NMEA messages which are a mix of AIS and GPS sentences:

!AIVDM,1,1,,A,33uCVg0Oh0PnEWVQ0I>ek7q`014i,0*1E
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,402R3dAuVNC9n0n7AdQIf9A000S:,0*3D
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,13P:Pg?000PPIl8HsKMh0Bmd0<1<,0*47
$GPRMC,190955.00,A,5741.48321,N,01141.09194,E,0.01 1,,280909,,,A*70
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,13u=I<P0000nEg2Q0GM@07gd0D1R,0*0C
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,13uCKO00000rngvPK2w5Whoh06HT,0*61
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,13u=C1P000QF6q0Q1@B657Od0D07,0*13

I often receive these mixed messages from Sweden,and often from what appears to be a land test station,or a boat recently hauled out for winter storage.

I don't have a GPS attached at the moment and unless the NMEA Data source in OpenCPN is in the 'None' position,MY boat icon is immediately transported to Sweden and becomes RED. The boat's AIS icon is also displayed on top of the boat icon.

It seems more and more boaters in Sweden is using long reaching 3G connections to feed their combined AIS/GPS data to Siitech's network over internet by TCP/IP.
You can also observe the same target using Siitech's FREE AIS browser:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWETARGET.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	10186   Click image for larger version

Name:	SWETARGET-II.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	10187