Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17   #91

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.1224 Released

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Folks...

To clear up some confusion .....

3.The "upload" item available in some context menus is intended to be a 2-click graphical shortcut for uploading a route or WP. The port used will be the last port specified in the RMD, or the first logical port list item if RMD selection has never been used. To avoid uncertainty, the next Beta will show that port name directly in the selectable menu item. So, if you find that the context menu upload is going to the wrong place, upload once in RMD. The next context menu (shortcut) upload will go to the same place.

I invite comments.

Dave
It is difficult to say, before the next beta tested, if it is practical. And especially for future new users OpenCPN. And especially for those who are not very comfortable with computers and software.

The problem is that OpenCPN is not as intuitive as before.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50   #92

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
OK, I'm lost in the fog of networking possibilities.

What are we doing wrong, and how could we be better?
Sorry Dave: As I stated I didn't quite understand Hakan's set up, but was attempting to clarify what "0.0.0.0" as a listener address meant in case this was misleading him. I thought it might not be understood that regardless of address specified, an OpenCPN UDP connection will *receive* on *all* interfaces.

Re-reading his post now I see that another source of confusion might be mistaking 127.0.0.1 for a broadcast address. As that is unicast he won't be seeing packets echoed back (as per broadcast).

None of that was a criticism of OpenCPN.

I do see a couple of potential issues with having all UDP interfaces listen on INADDR_ANY but these are probably edge cases, easily workaroundable, and probably less bad than the complication introduced by trying to avoid them entirely.

One thing I'd say though: in datastream.cpp you set SO_BROADCAST dependent upon whether the address ends in 255. This only works correctly for a /24. A more reliable (but obviously more complicated) way might be to iterate through the interface list to see if addr matches any interface's broadcast address
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32   #93

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Hakan/muttnik...

OK, I'm lost in the fog of networking possibilities.

What are we doing wrong, and how could we be better?

Dave
Foggy is a fair description. But for me the UDP broadcast is solved, see post #78. That is:
No IP address for receivers. 127.0.01 or 192.168.x.255 for senders.
Maybe someone to confirm and if found usable ad to wiki.
And Dave.. This was not at all wrong. It may have been foreseen since there is actually the opportunity to leave the address field blank when output is not active?

Thanks /Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58   #94

This might be asking a lot...

I'm using O with a raspberry pi and screen via RCA input. This means not a lot of pixels to play with. Everything fits well, or is adjustable to be so, except the tide table. The bottom date info gets cut off.

Wondering if in the future, an adjustable tide table window could be implemented? Or at least include a scroll bar so that all info can be accessed?

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Thanks
nsweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37   #95

Hello,
I need RMC for the VHF, and to see SOG on my raymarine's instruments,
it's OK when a route is active but as in beta 3.1.1206 not else.
I see GPRMC in the NMEA windows.
I have click on out on this port.
But it's not good.
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35   #96
Marine Service Provider

tiersp...

Can you post a screenshot of your NMEA debug window, and your Options->Connections dialog screen?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:11   #97
Marine Service Provider

cagney...

quote:

Connections priority. Changes in priority only gets into the log on restart. I'm not sure that it works properly either. I seem to get flip/flops between data streams with different priorities for the same message, in the log. For example, two AIS streams with different priorities, both show up on the screen.

Can you give us some examples, please?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 18:38   #98
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

Quote:
Until version 3.02 and even to replace the Toolbox by Options, there was an item in the tab "Etc." on permanent layers

Now, there is no item in the toolbox. Novice users with OpenCPN likely never use permanent layers.

Do you mean "Show layers initially", from the Etc. tab of 3.0.2?
Or something else?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 19:01   #99
Marine Service Provider

boraxtr...

quote:
"
Hi Hakan, Yes misunderstood... I mean the options window reachable from the toolbar. I mean resizing the options window not resizing the toolbar (picture attached at the above link). Resizing the option window as a user is very important since it limits to see the map at all.
Hasan "

In my testing under XP, 3.1.1224 can resize the Options dialog both horizontally and vertically.

Is this not the case for you? Screenshot, maybe?
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 22:05   #100

Boat: Steel, Regina, Holland, 8.70

Hi Dave,
I can resize already: I use a netbook with an external monitor. So the resolutions is changing automatically if I use the monitor or not. After I checked the options window to resize in different resolutions, I noticed it can be resizable along with the suggested (higher) resolutions by win7.
Thank you and Hakan for your kind interest.
boraxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:46   #101

Quote:
tiersp...

Can you post a screenshot of your NMEA debug window, and your Options->Connections dialog screen?

Thanks
Dave
I will do that, but i'll go on the boat only the 15/01 for the NMEA debug window.
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05   #102

Hi Dave,

After a very short navigation, it seems that the boat is going the right way now. May be too short to be a good test. Waiting for good weather to leave here and to do more.
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57   #103

Boat: Najad 34

More of the $ECRMC failure. Referring to my previous post #45 in this thread.

Some more investigations to try to find out why the $ECRMC sentences are not accepted of my Simrad WP30 autopilot. These assumptions may be some far-fetched but I can’t see any other obvious cause. Could someone with more NMEA knowledge please have a look?

My primary thought is still field #10, magnetic variation, which contains three digits after the decimal point. (e.g. 0.200) This pattern I’ve have never seen on any other RMC example when I make a Google run even though nothing is found in the NMEA rules. The same is also valid for RMC field #7, knots, as well for the RMB sentence field #12, knots.
So, why does my autopilot then accept the ECRMB sentence even if the same pattern occurs there? Well if this discussion makes sense it’s possible that RMB field #12 is ignored because autopilot don’t use it and do not try to evaluate it?

If anyone can’t find another cause for the ECRMC failure could we test if it helps to use not more then one decimal, e.g.000.2, for the following fields:
ECRMB field 10, 11 and 12
ECRMC field 7, 8 and 10
The very first field $ECRMC is here #0.

(Note, for Garmin it could be that RMC should be sent before RMB within a period of two seconds ???) (Ref: gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:22   #104

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
cagney...

quote:

Connections priority. Changes in priority only gets into the log on restart. I'm not sure that it works properly either. I seem to get flip/flops between data streams with different priorities for the same message, in the log. For example, two AIS streams with different priorities, both show up on the screen.

Can you give us some examples, please?

Thanks
Dave
Dave
Revisiting he problem, I found that the change in priority does work!
I'm not quite sure about the flip/flop yet. I managed to create a crash in an attempt to test this.
I had one incoming tcp stream, prio 1, with ais and gpsdata.
I then started a similar VDR stream. So I had two gps positions, about 500 miles apart coming in at the same time. The priorities worked OK, as the VDR seems to get prio 0 by default.
The crash happened when trying to show the NMEA Debug Window.
Repeatable! OK, so that was a bit weird and cruel test, but it would be good if we cold handle it a bit more gracefully

Click image for larger version

Name:	ownshipx2.png
Views:	160
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	52260

I'll test a bit more regarding flip flopping.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:04   #105

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello,

Quote:
Gilletarom...
Do you mean "Show layers initially", from the Etc. tab of 3.0.2?
Or something else?
Dave
I think, actually, that would be a good thing to have somewhere an item that alert the user about it.

But this is only my opinion.

Should other people in this forum give leurt opinion.

I take this issue that there should be a simple way to make layers and able to save easily.
I explain in my French website, a method to get there but it is not a simple method.

B.R.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn