Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 20:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
open cpn on an ipad

Can open cpn be used on an ipad. I just bouight a new one but not sure if i can use this program on it.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 20:42   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: open cpn on an ipad

Not for IPad yet.

You might try PolarView MX. A free basic plotter from PolarNavy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pola...513635085?mt=8

I don't have an IPad but use the MacBook Air version. Very pleased with it. Graphics are well done for viewing on laptop or pad. Uses free NOAA vector and raster charts for US users.
Old 18-11-2015, 22:09   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

If there is a way to run a linux or android sandbox then try that.

Otherwise, maybe you can somehow run android programs, or just install android or linux on the device.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:50   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We consider SeaIQ on the ipad the equivalent to OCPN. Actually, it does several things better and has additional functionality.

It is just a bit more expensive than OCPN, but we are only talking $20 or so.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:42   #5

What "additional functionality" do you speak of?
Old 19-11-2015, 10:24   #6

You can easily go and look for yourself, and I don't want to get into a debate comparing the two. It wouldn't matter anyway, because OCPN is not available on iPad, while SeaIQ is.

I guess that is the supreme additional functionality.

Other examples are the automatic downloading and overlay of satellite photos, full Active Captain integration, automatic updating of NOAA and US ACOE charts, the ability to purchase charts from several commercial sources right in the app, automatic buoy data feeds and other marine notices, etc.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-11-2015, 23:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You can easily go and look for yourself,
I can't.

I don't have an ipad, so although maybe I can read a list of features, I cannot understand what they really are, what they do, or how they work.
Quote:
and I don't want to get into a debate comparing the two. It wouldn't matter anyway, because OCPN is not available on iPad, while SeaIQ is.
I don't want a debate either. Maybe we can just start from the viewpoint that SeaIQ has some features opencpn lacks, and you can explain to me more details so I can figure out how to improve opencpn.
Quote:
I guess that is the supreme additional functionality.
OpenCPN can run on IOS too, but no one bothered to compile it or work out the gnomes because it would be illegal to put a free software program in the apple store and therefore a waste of effort. Of course you can run linux or android on the ipad.
Quote:
Other examples are the automatic downloading and overlay of satellite photos,
I think we have this already, but I found a way to automatically scan along coastlines and basically eliminate all manual interaction required. It can get topographic data and data in various formats, not only imagery... but my connection is too expensive to work on it here. I hope to do more with this soon because the current ge2kap isn't good for people without windows, and even then it isn't what it could be.

Quote:
full Active Captain integration
we have squiddio and good anchorage, but for AC itself is probably not going to happen.

Quote:
automatic updating of NOAA and US ACOE charts
I think the chart downloader plugin handles this. If it can be done better, I want to hear about it.

Quote:
, the ability to purchase charts from several commercial sources right in the app
there is s63 support... but you have to go to an external site. Do you have other sources for charts besides s63?
Quote:
, automatic buoy data feeds and other marine notices, etc.
Mark
This one I am very interested in.

Do you know which buoys? Who operates them etc? Where the data is available? Do you need an internet connection for it, or do you obtain the data over sailmail or email? What marine notices? Is this navtex or is it more than that? If you have any information on this, please post in a new thread.
Old 20-11-2015, 01:47   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Of course you can run linux or android on the ipad.
Would you please show us how to do that?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:47   #9

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post

Gerhard
If you can install a VM then you can run Linux but I'm not sure if you can install a VM on an iPad or not, never tried and don't have an iPad, but that would be the easiest way.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On the Seaiq thing, you can download a fully functional trial version that last for 7 days, for those people with an Ipad, and then if you decide you like it, pop the $20, if not then you only wasted some of your time, but no money.
There is a $249 version, I have no idea of it though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:56   #11

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
If you can install a VM then you can run Linux but I'm not sure if you can install a VM on an iPad or not, never tried and don't have an iPad, but that would be the easiest way.
If you don't know why do you post?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 13:56   #12

I don't have an iPad either, but heard you can run BOCHS on rooted devices.

(and before you ask why I post if I haven't tried it: I'm giving you a hint what to google for as this is possibly not the right forum for your question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post

Gerhard
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 14:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
OpenCPN can run on IOS too, but no one bothered to compile it or work out the gnomes because it would be illegal to put a free software program in the apple store and therefore a waste of effort.
I don't know much at all about the Apple store, but this comment seems strange because:

1. I have tons of free apps I downloaded from the Apple store, and none of them are illegal that I am aware of.

2. If free apps are indeed illegal, then just charge a small amount for it. OCPN on Android costs $10, so this could also be true on iOS.

Again, the Apple store is FULL of free apps. SeaIQ, for example, has a free version.

Mark

Old 20-11-2015, 14:22   #14

Mark, it's not about the price, but license incompatibility. Read this: More about the App Store GPL Enforcement — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 14:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yens View Post
OK, I read that article and it just reinforces my opinion that if geeks got laid more, there wouldn't be these silly types of problems.

From my reading, the problem is:

1. GPL (the OCPN license) requires that a recipient (the person downloading the app) be allowed to redistribute the app as widely as he/she wants. And that no one can limit this right of redistribution.

2. Apple store has the requirement that any app distributed in its store have the limit that the recipient (the person downloading the app) be allowed to only redistribute that app to 5 other devices/people. In imposing this limit, they break the last sentence of #1 regarding the GPL license.

Keep in mind we are talking about a FREE app where, even if distribution was limited to only 5 people/devices, the people/device #6 to #infinity can just GO TO THE APP STORE AND DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE THEMSELVES.

I bet only those people who have had sex in the past year will understand how silly and inbred this is.

And that will be 99.9% of us.

Mark

Tags
Ipad, open cpn