Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2023, 05:20   #1

Open CPN and Onwa K Charts .tuf format

Hi
I am sailing down the West African coast - Spain to Gambia - and have some gaps in my Open CPN chart coverage. I have NV Charts, so have passage charts from the Straits to Dakar, and coastal and harbour pilotage charts of Casablanca, the Canaries and the Cabo Verdes. I'm lacking passage charts from Dakar to the river Gambia, and pilotage charts of the Moroccan and Mauritanean coasts and the River Gambia itself.

I have an Onwa chart plotter. This comes with Korean K-Charts - wide area raster charts available free from the Onwa website or avesmarine.com. They come in a .tuf format to be downloaded on a pc and transferred to the plotter via an sd card. I have a 300MB .tuf file covering the Western Med and West African coast.

I'm guessing that the .tuf files are a proprietary format and there's no way of opening it up for use on Open CPN. Anyone know better or able to shed more light?

btw the Onwa plotters are cheap with a fair range of features - £500 got me a 7" cockpit plotter and AIS transceiver plus free worldwide charts - but very clunky to use. Nothing like as elegant as Open CPN. The K charts are also pretty basic, but work fine for me on passage. Avesmarine in the UK gave me great advice and service support. I've no relationship with either company.
Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 11:52   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Open CPN and Onwa K Charts .tuf format

Check o-charts.org for coverage. You are correct .tuf is not a chart format that OpenCPN will recognize.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 01:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Check o-charts.org for coverage. You are correct .tuf is not a chart format that OpenCPN will recognize.
thanks. Yes, I had a look at Ocharts. I had a broken links problem using it before but it now seems to work for me and has a vector chart that might cover the area that I'm missing. all my other OpenCPN charts are raster, so now I just have to decide what to do about that
Old 26-11-2023, 03:06   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Have you looked at CM93 and SASPlanet referencing Navionics. Both chart these areas.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 03:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Have you looked at CM93 and SASPlanet referencing Navionics. Both chart these areas.
thanks, they are new to me. I'll have a look.

Tags
charts, open cpn