Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2023, 12:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
OCPN - MULTIPLE PROBLEMS

1 - My old Android Note 10 works but has a broken screen. I got a exact duplicate to install OPCPN and transfer files. Some files I need from Ocharts, got that. But many are older electronic charts I have used for years on multiple machines or charts I imported (pilot charts.) I can get NONE of these charts to show up.

2 - I tried to purchase new ocharts for my area of interest. I can not get the process to work.

3 - Went back to my laptop and there I have the charts I want. BUT I noticed I do not have the OCHART plug in available in Charts. So I went through the process of removing the old plugins from the Program(x86) directory and rebooting and reinstalling ocharts all to no avail.

So I have the charts I have, none on the new Android, and can add no others on either the PC laptop OR new Note 10 android.

Been at this a few hours and pretty frustrated.

Another fellow tried to help with one part, I am reposting with new info and a better thread title.

Thanks
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 12:54   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: OCPN - MULTIPLE PROBLEMS

How are you transferring the files to the new tablet? Where are you putting them? Are you using the "import charts" function?
Old 30-11-2023, 13:48   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Some confusion for me here.

You are talking about getting an updated Ocharts plugin for Dave Register Android OpenCPN (definitely requires the new plugin) BUT THEN you state you removed "old plugins from Program(x86)" directory. But that's on your PC, not Android, and I do not think desktop ochart plugin works with Android OpenCPN. Must be via Android OpenCPN.

Copying files: so you WERE SUCCESSFUL transferring files when you hooked up new Android to PC?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 17:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
How are you transferring the files to the new tablet? Where are you putting them? Are you using the "import charts" function?
I transferred them to the PC laptop and then to the new Android via a USB cable.
Old 30-11-2023, 17:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Some confusion for me here.

You are talking about getting an updated Ocharts plugin for Dave Register Android OpenCPN (definitely requires the new plugin) BUT THEN you state you removed "old plugins from Program(x86)" directory. But that's on your PC, not Android, and I do not think desktop ochart plugin works with Android OpenCPN. Must be via Android OpenCPN.
After all the frustration with the Android I went to the PC. My ocharts charts there were expired so I was gonna renew them. Could not so I was trying to figure out how to do it. I saw instructions to remove the older plug ins and attempted that. I did not realize I was reading Android only instructions.

VERY confusing to an occasional user.

Quote:
Copying files: so you WERE SUCCESSFUL transferring files when you hooked up new Android to PC?
Yes. But I can not get them to open.
Old 30-11-2023, 18:56   #6

In practice, "renewing" Ocharts has no relation to any expired ocharts. You are purchasing a new year.

Expired ocharts continue to work, provided you haven't changed the system (ie not a new/different PC or Android). Expired (or current) ocharts cannot be copied to a new/different system and be used. (O-charts license is good for 2 separate systems - - I use one on one of my androids, and one on my pc.)

Copying the chart files over:
- when you copied to the new Android, did you put then in the correct android/data/org. opencpn. opencpn folder?

- can you get chart files to work on the PC? (This is simpler than Android . If you cannot get them to work on PC, something is wrong (with files , with your folder structure, or your process). They cannot be o-charts.

WHAT sort of files are you transferring?

NOTE: If CM93, this is a little more complicated, as several needed files (3 IIRC) may not have been transferred.

I suggest you try using the chart downloader plugin to bring some NOAA raster or vector charts. Chart selection is started by selecting "Chartloader", the rightmost tab under settings/charts. Just to see if things are working.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Expired ocharts continue to work, provided you haven't changed the system (ie not a new/different PC or Android). Expired (or current) ocharts cannot be copied to a new/different system and be used. (O-charts license is good for 2 separate systems - - I use one on one of my androids, and one on my pc.)
OK, I understand that. That was the premis I was working under.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pelegia

Quote:
- when you copied to the new Android, did you put then in the correct android/data/org. opencpn. opencpn folder?
Well, this gets confusing. I installed File manager + on both Androids.
Let me step through.
1-Open FM and the first Icon is Main Storage - I select that.
2-next screen Select Android Icon
3-Icons for Data, Media, obb - select data
4-permissions settings alert - press OK
5-NOW i get a new screen, 2 columns of boxes with titles -2nd row, 1st column is Android. I have a warning CANT USE THIS FOLDER. USE THIS FOLDER SELECTION ON BOTTOM GREYED OUT
6. Select Android anyway - does not appear to apply
7. To back one level, Select CHARTS box under Android box - this has boxes for oeRNCeast, RNC, and PilotCharts. USE THIS FOLDER is enabled.

Identical on both Androids.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pelegia

Quote:
In practice, "renewing" Ocharts has no relation to any expired ocharts. You are purchasing a new year.

- can you get chart files to work on the PC? (This is simpler than Android . If you cannot get them to work on PC, something is wrong (with files , with your folder structure, or your process). They cannot be o-charts.
I have my charts working on thE PC. At least most. Also I am confused about O-Charts. The PC seems to insist I need O-charts (for oeSENC?). But lets put this aside for the moment.

The 2 Androids have build 5.8.4[105]
The PC has build 5.2.4+6b314e6
Old 01-12-2023, 07:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Pelegia

Well, this gets confusing. I installed File manager + on both Androids.
Let me step through.
1-Open FM and the first Icon is Main Storage - I select that.
2-next screen Select Android Icon
3-Icons for Data, Media, obb - select data
4-permissions settings alert - press OK
5-NOW i get a new screen, 2 columns of boxes with titles -2nd row, 1st column is Android. I have a warning CANT USE THIS FOLDER. USE THIS FOLDER SELECTION ON BOTTOM GREYED OUT
6. Select Android anyway - does not appear to apply
7. To back one level, Select CHARTS box under Android box - this has boxes for oeRNCeast, RNC, and PilotCharts. USE THIS FOLDER is enabled.

Identical on both Androids.

Perhaps they have changed FileManagerplus... mine (which is called "Filemanager+") has no problem. Others have suggested X-PLORE app.

Anyways, you are able to transfer using PC. (Also, the Android OpenCPN "migrate charts" button will move chart files from nonhidden folders to the correct folder)

Have you tried downloading some NOAA charts using chartdownloader on Android OpenCPN?
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was able to download Texas RNC files to both Androids. It works!

I took screen shots of the file location.

But I can NOT find those files using filemanager +.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7361.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	283953  
Old 01-12-2023, 09:05   #12

So, OpenCPN Android working. Good.!

My only suggestion is that your other chart files are either (i) in the wrong place and/or (ii) not proper chart files
Old 01-12-2023, 09:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had better luck finding files using Root Explorer - HOME allowed me to see rhe explicit directory tree.

Now making some headway. I found DE_OSMRASTER files that did not move to the new Android.

But then searching for this folder on old Android using the PC I found multiple copies on the Android.

Will report back.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I have a better idea of where things are. There is a lot of detail here and some confusing bits I will skip for clarity.

I have downloaded and can see Texas RNC charts on my new Android. They are in the same directory as some Puerto Rico charts which I can not see. I have run the chart downloader a number of times with no success to see the PR charts.

Damn!
Old 01-12-2023, 12:45   #15

Thumbs down Re: OCPN - MULTIPLE PROBLEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Well I have a better idea of where things are. There is a lot of detail here and some confusing bits I will skip for clarity.

I have downloaded and can see Texas RNC charts on my new Android. They are in the same directory as some Puerto Rico charts which I can not see. I have run the chart downloader a number of times with no success to see the PR charts.

Damn!

THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT WORKING!

Yeah, I just tried to use chartdownloader on Android and now I too cannot get it too download the charts (tried PR and SE Alaska).

Worked fine before I recently updated Android OpenCPN!

ON PC: same download using downloader worked fine

I will now see if I can manually transfer from PC....