Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 13:53   #106

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Rick,
To edit a point or a boundary you should only have to put the mouse over it and right click. This should bring up a popup and one of the options is 'Properties', click on this and you can edit the object. The object you have selected will start to flash. If you bring up the Manager and select a boundary (path) that will also cause the boundary to flash. On the points page it does not work yet, but hopefully in the next day or so.

I do know under windows that the flashing seems to behave slightly differently, but it does show up, just differently depending on opengl or not.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

To edit a boundary or point.
1. Click on the Draw button. Hit escape. Then right click while hoovering over the boundary or point object you wish to modify.

===

Is there a way to put these objects into a layer that we have created?
I think this tool is going to prove to be very useful.

OpenCPN Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass
https://tgp-architects.com/files/
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 02:46   #107

Rick,
Whilst I have implemented layers, sort of, I have not done anything with them. At the moment importing into a layer will cause a crash. I was thinking of removing layers to make the plugin simpler. What use do you see layers being put to in this plugin? I have not really seen a need to use them when using OCPN over the last few years.

Jon

Quote:

Is there a way to put these objects into a layer that we have created?
I think this tool is going to prove to be very useful.

OpenCPN Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass
https://tgp-architects.com/files/
Old 30-05-2015, 01:58   #108

Hi,
I have implemented layers in the same way as the Route and Waypoint manager does, i.e. Temporary Layers. It will bring in boundaries and points and show or hide them as required. This is in version 0.3_0260 and does require the latest OCPN 4.1_427 build (there are some new fixes in there, but the patch number is the same, so DO download and recompile OCPN).

Jon
Old 30-05-2015, 09:53   #109

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jon, Its getting better. Thanks.

Attached are three files of Provincetown Entry Plan using the tools you have provided.

It is perhaps not that realistic or tight a situation, but it is similar to what Happy Seagull suggested some time ago. Someday it could become a more automatic tool but it seems to work ok now without OpenGL turned on.

I have shown an example with OpenGL turned on and the image is still gone.

The the third image is showing
1. Export Selected to BoundaryTestLayer.gpx and ODPoints to Test.gpx
2. Open these layer files into the Layers section.
3. Turn off all objects in Paths and Points
4. Show all the files in the external layers section.

Then I closed Opencpn and found out I had to reopen the two files BoundaryTest.gpx and Test.gpx to show them.
I wonder if that is necessary? Could they be sticky until we choose to remove (not delete?).

This file has been updated Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
4.1.0 PI Win ocpn_draw_pi-0.3_0260-ov-4.1.427-win32
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincetown-Entry-OpenGL-Off.png
Views:	164
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	102934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincetown-Export-CreateLayer-ImportLayers.png
Views:	139
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	102935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincetown-OpengGL-On.png
Views:	184
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	102936  
Attached Files
File Type: doc BoundaryTestLayer.gpx.doc (4.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: doc Test.gpx.doc (1.7 KB, 63 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 10:03   #110

Jon,
I can see how Ocpn_Draw is going to be very useful for planning cruises and showing others graphically, projected on a screen, for discussion purposes.

Of course this is an ancillary use, but with some additional items such as "Arrows" "Lines" "Text" objects, a user could have these in a Layer file labeled with Date-Depart-Destination.gpx and could toggle visibility as needed.

There could be many other uses as well for Graphic representation of
Better Route XTE planning tools
Real-time Dynamic Nmea Data Vectors
etc.
Old 30-05-2015, 14:27   #111

Rick,
Just a quick one, you know you can load more than one layer file into the same layer, just select more than one file in the file manager popup and they will load into the same layer.

Jon
Old 30-05-2015, 14:29   #112

Rick,
I am thinking about how to put text on the screen at the moment. Arrows and lines should not be a problem, but I want to try and fix up what is there at the moment, particularly with opengl. I am sure it is something to do with the colours/brushes/pens, but trying to find it........

Jon

Quote:
Jon,
I can see how Ocpn_Draw is going to be very useful for planning cruises and showing others graphically, projected on a screen, for discussion purposes.

Of course this is an ancillary use, but with some additional items such as "Arrows" "Lines" "Text" objects, a user could have these in a Layer file labeled with Date-Depart-Destination.gpx and could toggle visibility as needed.

There could be many other uses as well for Graphic representation of
Better Route XTE planning tools
Real-time Dynamic Nmea Data Vectors
etc.
Old 04-06-2015, 15:49   #113

I've compiled opencpn v 4.1.602 and installed it. The compiled ocpn_draw using the opencpn.lib from v 4.1.602 and installed that. Everthing compiled fine.

In testing ocpn_draw this version, 0030270 It seems to work fine under this new version and it is working with OpenGL! Congratuations.

I've used points and boundaries, and they work. I had an idea for improving the signals to users when you can draw a point or boundary... Make the background of the icon white when it is NOT ready to draw and then switch it to blue when it is IS ready to draw. The same thin could occur when the management panel is up, it would switch from White to Blue background .

Regarding Layers. I exported to a temporary layer (4 objects), then imported them. I was able to the them all on and offf. This was all under Opengl.

Thanks Rick

How would I try your Text?
Old 04-06-2015, 16:27   #114

We have several problems.
1. How to select a boundary or point for editing?
2. How to show that a boundary or point is selected?
3. Is a boundary or point required to be selected before it can be moved or have a new point inserted?

I've been having trouble editing older boundaries and points, moving, adding a point etc. The properties box seems to be frozen grey so I can't change something.
Old 04-06-2015, 22:19   #115

Rick,
The icon in the toolbar should show that you have it selected, I just haven't got an icon to show that all the time (something has gone wrong with it). But you should know if you are doing a boundary or a point as the pointer should change to a pencil (boundary) or a red cross (point). Windows sometimes seems a bit 'lazy' when doing this so it does not turn up immediately.

I am doing some further work on the 'Text Point' at the moment as it only 'sort of' works and windows is again 'lazy' in its updates so it not always obvious. To try it you will need to get the textpoint branch of the ocpn_draw_pi git.

Jon

Quote:
I've compiled opencpn v 4.1.602 and installed it. The compiled ocpn_draw using the opencpn.lib from v 4.1.602 and installed that. Everthing compiled fine.

In testing ocpn_draw this version, 0030270 It seems to work fine under this new version and it is working with OpenGL! Congratuations.

I've used points and boundaries, and they work. I had an idea for improving the signals to users when you can draw a point or boundary... Make the background of the icon white when it is NOT ready to draw and then switch it to blue when it is IS ready to draw. The same thin could occur when the management panel is up, it would switch from White to Blue background .

Regarding Layers. I exported to a temporary layer (4 objects), then imported them. I was able to the them all on and offf. This was all under Opengl.

Thanks Rick

How would I try your Text?
Old 04-06-2015, 22:24   #116

You just have to right click on the boundary or the point and you should get a popup box that gives you a pick list. For editing anything use 'Properties', but if you just want to move a point select 'Move'.

Can you try without OpenGL selecting points and boundaries? If you right click on one, or select one from the Path and Points manager you should find that the point or boundary will flash once a second, changing from the active colour to the inactive colour and back again. For points, you should get a yellow background as well. OpenGL under windows sometimes shows this and sometimes not. I have yet to find out what is causing that.

To move a point you will need to right click and select move.

I am not sure why the properties box freezes, it has not done that to me unless I have a breakpoint set or I have crashed the program. If you can let me know what you do to get into this situation I will try and repeat it here.

Jon

Quote:
We have several problems.
1. How to select a boundary or point for editing?
2. How to show that a boundary or point is selected?
3. Is a boundary or point required to be selected before it can be moved or have a new point inserted?

I've been having trouble editing older boundaries and points, moving, adding a point etc. The properties box seems to be frozen grey so I can't change something.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:04   #117

Jon i think I gpt confused. When you have a pencil or red x at the cursor I should be able to right click on any object and edit, move a point or delete? - I was trying to do it ehen I did not have the pencil or redx thinking that was only for creation of objects!

Sorry about my confusion. I'll try again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-06-2015, 14:09   #118

Rick,
If you have a pencil or red cross cursor you are in create mode. If you have the standard pointer then you can right click one of the objects to get their popup showing, then you can select to see the properties, move the point or delete/remove. Having selected move you will then need to put the cursor over the selected object, push and hold the left mouse button and drag the object to where you want it. When you let go of the left mouse button the cursor (what ever it was showing before) should revert to the standard pointer and the 'move' process is terminated. If you want to move the object again, you will have to right click again to get the popup and repeat the process.

If this is too complicated, I could implement it so that you can move points by just by selecting with a left or right mouse and dragging without going through the popup. Would this make more sense?

Jon

Quote:
Jon i think I gpt confused. When you have a pencil or red x at the cursor I should be able to right click on any object and edit, move a point or delete? - I was trying to do it ehen I did not have the pencil or redx thinking that was only for creation of objects!

Sorry about my confusion. I'll try again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2015, 03:04   #119
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Got ocpn_draw_pi-0.3_0270-ov4.1.602-win32.exe from Ricks repo working under Win 8.1 - OpenGL on

There is still the flicker between pointer and pencil when moving the cursor.
OK with OpenGL off.
No unexpected jumps.

Areas fills correctly for up to 4 points. From fifth point on no more fill/hatching even when deleting on or more points afterwards.
Works ok with OpenGL off...

Panning the canvas when drawing the boundary works - but for the first point. You need one point to be able to pan.

When moving a boundary point (context menu move boundary point) this should stay highlighted (obs.: does work correctly with OpenGL OFF). Then you won't need the cross-hair while moving the point. Which I would not use anyhow while moving a boundary point - the four directional arrow like the one for panning would be more intuitive perhaps.
What about to maintain a point "moveable" until a right-click or an ESC?
You will not be happy with the first move often and one will have to invoke the Move Point again to correct.

The way to change from path to marker is perhaps a bit akward and not easy to detect without manual and (right)-clicking on everything one gets under the cursor - and then you realize that the tool button has changed as well..
Right-clicking to change from pencil to cross-hair will only work if you want to toggle just between the two options. Imagine more tools....

What about maintaining the tool button pressed to access to a drop-down menu to select between tools? Would make it (relatively) easy to implement a pop-up menu for touch devices like the Androids as well.

Being able to double-click the markers would be a nice-to-have.

Thanks for the great work

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:18   #120
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon,

Just an idea....
in case you implement the (drop-down) menu you might integrate there the second tool button for the boundary manager as well - cleaning up space.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote