Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 15:21   #1

Boat: Bombay PH 31
nobeltec mds-8r(sitex/koden mds8r) not found/no power???

Hi,
im certain i have Ethernet and power connections right. got wiring direct from sitex this radar unit MDS-8r has an Ethernet connection not a junction box. Choosing BR24 in openCPN .not finding it, router has no clue where it is either!

Im not getting any noise from unit. not even the fan is coming on.
anyone have any clues where to try next, besides west marine?
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 15:52   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: nobeltec mds-8r(sitex/koden mds8r) not found/no power???

The direct wiring should include a green and blue wire for an optional switch. If you don't use a switch these two wires need to be connected (in place of the switch) to have the unit run permanently.

Do you have the polarity correct? White = +, black = -?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 16:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The direct wiring should include a green and blue wire for an optional switch. If you don't use a switch these two wires need to be connected (in place of the switch) to have the unit run permanently.

Do you have the polarity correct? White = +, black = -?
Yes!
Even cut back cable a foot and redis rj45 connector .
These units shipped with nobletec TZ navigator. My fear is they have a software specific control to turn on scanner.
But, one would think scanner would power up upon connection of blue and green no?
Old 21-03-2020, 04:31   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

I 'll preface this by saying I am not at my boat and it was a few years back I installed my SI-TEX MDS8. I did install a separate "power switch" that had to be engaged (turned on) before the scanner. I didn't get the Nobeltec software, but another "similar" software - WindPilot. The downside of this software, it needs to have a USB "key" to operate the software. At the time OpenCPN was at a much earlier version, so I can't comment on using the Radar Plugin.

I'd like to hear that the SI-TEX scanner overlays with OpenCPN and doesn't need another set of software. I've been looking at the Radar-Pi Plugin - and it seems to do everything I'd want - when integrated with the rest of the software. I like moving to a simpler setup.

All that said, have you had a chance to work your setup?

Inquiring minds...

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 11:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post
I 'll preface this by saying I am not at my boat and it was a few years back I installed my SI-TEX MDS8. I did install a separate "power switch" that had to be engaged (turned on) before the scanner. I didn't get the Nobeltec software, but another "similar" software - WindPilot. The downside of this software, it needs to have a USB "key" to operate the software. At the time OpenCPN was at a much earlier version, so I can't comment on using the Radar Plugin.

I'd like to hear that the SI-TEX scanner overlays with OpenCPN and doesn't need another set of software. I've been looking at the Radar-Pi Plugin - and it seems to do everything I'd want - when integrated with the rest of the software. I like moving to a simpler setup.

All that said, have you had a chance to work your setup?

Inquiring minds...

Cheers - Jim
Sadly, sitex/koden rep went above and beyond but unit is bad. Probably shorted blue wire to positive.
It is NOT compatible with OpenCPN. There is a software switch that takes it out of standby mode. TimeZero,wind pilot, and Coastal explorer are the only compats.
Id love to try Coastal Explorer, they were the only software company to offer a trial and help!
for that though, id require another scanner,. To buy time zero or windplot would cost more than a new unit which includes the software?? Yes, you read that right! the radar and software costs less than software alone.
Old 21-03-2020, 13:14   #6

Boat: Najad 34

keyspc...
If I understand it correct you've tried to connect a Koden radar scanner to OpenCPN plugin? That's not supported. The list of supported scanners you'll find here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/wiki.
Bare in mind Navico radar scanners are also named: Simrad, Lowrance or B&G.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nobeltec