Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2023, 16:54   #1

Boat: Max Cruise Marine, Twin Hybrid Electric, 44SC
New OpenCPN Anroid user, HELP!

I am a brand spanking new to Open CPN user. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A running Android version 7.1.1 . I have a Large SD card for charts and Satellite overlays if I can figure out how to do this.

This is a supplement/backup to my B&G and Navionics charts I have for my chart plotter.

I have never used OpenCPN in any form. I know a laptop would be ideal but my Surface Pro 8 does not have built-in GPS. Consequently, I will use the Tablet or my Samsung S20 phone.

I am fairly computer illiterate. I am wondering if there is a manual, of sorts, to help me get charts and satellite imagery for the areas I will be sailing, Pattaya to Guam via Lombok, PNG, and Palau.

I have spent a few hours already looking online and at the resources here but seem now more overwhelmed and confused than before.
Any sage advice would help and thank you all.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 07:23   #2

Re: New OpenCPN Anroid user, HELP!

I am far from an expert on OpenCPN and Android, others who are will be along.

I do have some suggestions.

Install OCN on your surface. A GPS puck is not a big expense. Learning OCN is much easier on a bigger screen and using a pointing device. Fat fingers on a small screen make it hard to be sure of what you are doing.

Learning the different charts you need and how to install them is easier on the Surface

Consider updating or upgrading your older tablet, Android version 7.1.1 is quite old. Your phone is no doubt running a newer version. There are significant changes in Android file / folder management and security that will cause confusion.

Finally, be sure you are running the paid version for Android by Dave Register. The other version is very old and has not been kept up to date.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 09:51   #3

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Re: New OpenCPN Android user, HELP!

The Annapolis Sail and Power Squadron offers a course called "Marine Navigation" (https://www.aspsmd.org/wrappers/pages.php?ID=36). I took the course in its development stages and recall thinking that the course was really a tutorial on the use of OpenCPN with some navigation topics thrown in to illustrate its use. There's a booklet that you can purchase separately (without taking the course?) that should tell you how to load and configure OpenCPN, how to download charts, and how to use the app to construct courses and use the various add-ins. Perhaps you can contact the course instructor, Michael Maszczenski, to see what may be useful to you.
Old 29-12-2023, 16:32   #4

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: New OpenCPN Anroid user, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
I am wondering if there is a manual, of sorts, to help me get charts and satellite imagery for the areas I will be sailing, Pattaya to Guam via Lombok, PNG, and Palau.

For learning about OpenCPN download this: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi...%2529.pdf/file

For anchorages, routes, satellite imagery charts and more download this: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi...3143.docx/file

A somewhat dated guide to Android download this: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi...2529.docx/file

I agree with the suggestion to use the Surface Pro and suggest you interface it to your AIS, assuming you have one which I think you should.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn