Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 10:39   #526

Boat: HR40
Re: Logbook Konni for OpenCPN

hi delatbabel,
did you read this ?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1473699

and

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1473784
Old 25-08-2014, 12:39   #527

Hi,
Yes I read those. I have the latest downloadable exe version but if I am to work on the software I need the source code (and preferably access to the git repository where it is stored).

I am asking whether anyone here has a later version of the source code to what is stored in github.

Del
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 12:42   #528

Boat: Phantom 19

Del...
Not anybody I'm aware of, you will probably just have to fork the github repo and start your work there.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 12:49   #529

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Plugin Threads has the main threads for plugins.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1593496

I believe Rik is correct:
the links on http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloadplugins are not ok.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/logb...OpenCPN%203.0/ is the OLD version 1.1

here You can find the last version:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/logb...Logbook%201.2/ is newer

this is Konnis last version:
LogbookKonni-Setup-1-192.exe

http://sourceforge.net/projects/logb...2.exe/download

-Sometimes he moniter's and chimes in on these forums, like the time he presented the POLAR plugin and he has been very helpful about his plugins. Perhaps he will see these posts and advise further... It would be wonderful if there were a collaboration that would bring further improvements to Logbook Konni!

_
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:07   #530

Del...
Perhaps try to diff against this code: https://github.com/CarCode/Cocoa-OCP...ogbookkonni_pi
It is impossible to judge what is included there from the commits, but perhaps there will be more recent changes than in konni's own repository and sure there is some OS X stuff.

Pavel
Old 31-08-2014, 14:17   #531

Boat: Willard Vega 36'

Hello Konni,
I'm new to opencpn and am using it on Linux (Debian 7.5). I'm trying to install your logbook but am not having any luck. I installed another plugin by simply putting the .so file into usr/local/lib/opencpn and it works just fine. When I do that with the .so file for your logbook, nothing happens at all. What do I do with the layout and language files under linux?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Forrest Myers
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 21:29   #532

I would suggest you follow the installation instructions, as I believe there are supporting files.
Old 21-11-2014, 18:37   #533

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
I understand that the developer of this useful plug-in is ill and unlikely to be able to continue to support it. Would it be possible to move this plug-in into the mainstream development git repository alongside Dashboard and Grib? This would then enable contributions to be made that can easily be promoted into the standard code base.

Thanks
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 20:27   #534

Jon...
If you want to take it over, just fork on github and keep going. It is very unlikely that we will add more plugins into the core in any foreseeable future.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-11-2014, 21:16   #535

Pavel,
I understand that for most plug-ins that you would not want to incorporate it into the base, but this one is slightly different due to the originator being ill and unable to continue, it would be a shame to loose his hard work. I know that there is a Mac fork, but it would be nice to have a 'all systems' master.

I have done a one line update to the logbook plugin to make it a bit more robust, i.e. save the logbook across an OCPN crash. This required quite a few other changes to enable me to compile it as the existing code is now out of date with the wxStuff that is being used. This would make a potentially useful base for others. I may well not have the time to maintain this sort of code as I have just started work again, so I was hoping that we could put this stuff somewhere for others.

Also, as the originator is no longer maintaining the git code how does someone go about updating the plugin to let others have it. I have only just managed to compile OCPN for windows using a virtual machine as my main machine in Linux and there do appear to be differences (thankfully Dave took care of a couple that I let slip through!), so I am not confident in providing packages.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Jon...
If you want to take it over, just fork on github and keep going. It is very unlikely that we will add more plugins into the core in any foreseeable future.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-11-2014, 23:09   #536

Jon...
This one is no different and there isn't enough manpower to maintain it properly in the core. If you decide to take it over where Konni left, your github repo will simply become the new master.
I do the packaging and if possible fixing the platform problems for a lot of the other plug-ins anyway as most of the authors don't have access to all the platforms and will gladly do it for this one as well, but simply can't maintain the master code as my day unfortunately still has just 24 hours, I somehow forgot that I didn't want to renew the contract and a look at the number of unfinished branches in my code repository is scary enough even without adding new ones.
For the start we can at least have a look at what the Mac changes are and merge them with your fixes to produces the best possible in the frame of the core stable release. If you feel like you don't want the ironball of the maintainership attached to your leg, I can take care of it this once, but simply can't take it over completely as I know I wouldn't be able to do it well.

Pavel
Old 21-11-2014, 23:28   #537

Pavel,
I fully understand about the time commitments, that is why I am rather loathe to take it on. I am having enough issues just doing the few changes I have! I have had a quick look at the Mac version and there seem to be quite a few changes, so I am not sure how 'easy' it will be to merge the old (with my changes) to the new (with Mac changes).

I will have a think about it and see.

Jon
Old 22-11-2014, 03:25   #538

Jon I do hope you can move this plugin forward. There have been many users asking about ir over the several years I ve been on the forum. Serge and i can give you access to the plugin's Tracker project as well. Naturally we need someone to volunteer as developer! In your considerations please consider Konni who would be very pleased to know that his work and plugin thrives and improves and is still being used. Thankyou.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-11-2014, 03:26   #539

And cared for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-11-2014, 03:09   #540

I'd be happy to take it on. Jon can you make your stability changes available somewhere and I'll set if I can get up a new github repo.

I'm not interested in incorporating Mac specific changes at this stage, it's the one platform I don't have to develop or test on.
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn