Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27   #1

Help, Randomly My Boat Turns "Black"

Hello, hope someone can help me to sort out a small problem so this awsome program can be even more awsome.
When I´m out driving, my red ship icon suddenly turns black and stalls, as if it looses gps or something, and the only thing that helps is a full reboot, and then it can be fine for several hours. I guess it happened about 20 times total. I use ais as my gps (works perfect), and when I log into the ais program when this happens, it recieves perfectly. Hope for some good suggestions!
Vigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
re: Help, Randomly My Boat Turns "Black"

Vigen...
Your OS, OpenCPN version used, type of connection to the AIS unit (RS-232 to USB adapter used?), your logfile from the moment when this happened etc. would perhaps help us help you... With certain GPS units and serial USB adapters the NMEA stream dropouts were reported, but so far nobody was able to provide us with useful info to debug it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 16:38   #3

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigen View Post
I use ais as my gps (works perfect), and when I log into the ais program when this happens, it recieves perfectly. Hope for some good suggestions!
Hi Vigan,

I had similar problems and I also use the AIS data as input to OpenCPN and several other programs.

I've found the way to correct this is to 'buffer' the data from the AIS unit before sending to the other programs. I use the NavMonPC program (NavMonPc) for this purpose. Added advantage is that NavMonPC has a built-in AIS display.

My interface is shown below.

HTH, Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navprograminterface.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	44562  
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 23:24   #4

Thanks both for your reply. I have recently used both 3.0 and now did a fresh install to stable 3.0.2 without that make any diffrence. I run a small desktop PC running Win7 ultimate 64 bit, and my AIS is a ProAIS 2 - B100, witch is a usb - usb transfer to my computer, so no bad serial adapters involved. The computer is a fresh windows install too, with just 2 programs installed. (OpenCPN and the AIS software) So I find this whole thing realy strange and have runned out of options. I will have a look into the NavMonPC and install it in the weekend for sure, to see if that makes the diffrence, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-08-2012, 23:32   #5

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigen View Post
ProAIS 2 - B100, witch is a usb - usb transfer to my computer, so no bad serial adapters involved.
Actually, in that case the device is its own "bad serial adapter". It's device driver has a virtual COMn port that OCPN talks to.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:10   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The em-trak B-100 has known issues with the stability of the USB output.
A firmware update is due for Q4/2012.

Until then we have to live with it, I fear

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:29   #7

Ah, thank you for that info. When I googled it, I was directed to ProNav (a big supplier of boat electronics here in Norway) and it actualy showed that firmware is just released. And the text sais: Publisert:16.05.2012 Forbedring i forbindelse med stabilitet USB port, samt utvidelse av MMSI serie. which means something like "Firmware released 16 of may 2012: Improved USB stability and expansion og the MMSI series" Source: ProNav · Maritim elektronikk · Programvare and scroll down to ProAIS. Ill try that firmware, didn't even know the firmware could be updated. Thanks.