Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 08:17   #16

Dotdun
In my case the com port speed is correctly set to 38400 in device manager and opencpn on winxp does not work with the correct com port (Com5 in my case) set in opencpn. With the same conditions opencpn will see the GPS stream if the AIS input is used with its com port set to com5. If the PC com port was not set to the correct speed it would not work in either case surely. I'm happy because Ican use my plotter but it is strange if opencpn can exhibit these differences. tscher suffered this same problem as indicated in his post yesterday so I don't think it's just me!
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:13   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
OK, I digress!

I went back to the boat and did some testing. OpenCPN works with the GPS port at 38400 as long as I 'hit' the comport first with NMEAReader (by Actisense).

I played further. With OpenCPN displaying Ship data and GPS port set to com2, I went back to the tools page and tried to monitor the 0183 data, OpenCPN displays garbage. I killed OpenCPN, disconnected the USB/Serial, plugged it back in, started OpenCPN, no Ship data. I started NMEAReader, good data, closed it & started OpenCPN - now I have Ship data. I tried the same using Hyperterminal to 'bump' the comport, no go. I tested sharing the AIS port, worked everytime!

Conclusion: There is some funky problem with OpenCPN and 38400 on the GPS port. Mine works only after I 'bump' the com port with NMEAReader first! I always look for NMEA data prior to starting OpenCPN, hence it has always worked for me. I don't know what state NMEAReader is leaving the comport in that allows OpenCPN to work, but it's obviously something to do with speed.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:28   #18

I haven't got NMEAreader but I have used mini-CDU which is supplied with the puck and I'm sure I have tried to use opencpn "normally" directly afterwards with no success so mini-CDU doesn't "bump" like NMEAreader. At least we can all use the program with the solutions offered by other kind souls here so "whatever floats your boat"! Thanks everyone.
Tony
Old 28-02-2010, 16:05   #19

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
ÀH, yes.

It doesn't matter 4800 or 38400. I have all my NMEA directed to 1 multiplexer and that outputs all sentences on 38400. OpenCPN reads NMEA at both speeds regardless of the type of NMEA sentence

Bart
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 22:12   #20

Boat: Crusising Queen
same problem

I have a similar problem. OpenCPN works with my old external GPS, It works with my Navilock but doesn't work with Navibe GM720. I can't get a data stream. But the GM720 works with MaxSea and I see a data stream.

Thanks

Klaus
SY Cruising ueen
windjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:22   #21

Windjob
Have you tried it using the AIS input? If it does work that might be useful info for the developers (or even if it doesn't!)
Tony
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23   #22

Boat: Crusising Queen
Tried almost everything

Tony,

I have tried almost everything. Different baudrates, different ComPorts, AIS. Fact is it works with Navilock NL402 U, my old Magellan with Prolific Serial to USB converter, but not with the Navibe 720. But the Navibe works with MaxSea V12. Using the little program GPS Information which comes with the Navilock I can see the dataflow as well. Its one of the miracles I have experienced in the 37 years I worked with computers.

Anyway thanks for the help

Regards

Klaus
windjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:18   #23

Just a short further update to my problems with connecting my GPS. I'm fairly certain most of it was finger trouble on my part. I have now managed to get opencpn set up on the correct com port, 5 in my case, (you may remember I previously got it working by using the AIS port). The "secret" is to always leave the setting window using "OK" not "Enter". I've tried this on two machines and it works. Pretty basic I know but many programs assume "Enter" equals "OK" and I should have been more careful. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I have no reason to assume I couldn't set it up to use either 4800 or 38600 using the "OK" button not"Enter".
Tony
Old 30-04-2010, 11:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
I am running Vista with a ND-100 and can't get the data stream into OpenCPN.

I've tried all the suggestions in the threads above without success. All I get in the data stream is a lot of garbage at infrequent intervals.

Has anyone else got it to work with Vista?

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:22   #25
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
I am running Vista with a ND-100 and can't get the data stream into OpenCPN.

I've tried all the suggestions in the threads above without success. All I get in the data stream is a lot of garbage at infrequent intervals.

Has anyone else got it to work with Vista?
Yes I'm running Vista and also the ND-100 GPS unit. And it works. You have to upgrade the firmware from the company's homepage and I was not able to make it run 38400, but had success running 4800. So that's what I'm doing. I made it work with Polarcom first, and then afterwards with OpenCPN. Also I used the MiniCDU-program, - for testing and setting the baud, supplied with the ND-100, however it had to be upgraded from the company's homepage also. If you receive garbage, it could mean that your speed and parameters in your 'Devices' has not been set according to the GPS unit. Did you set that correctly? Sometimes, typically after timeouts, my ND-100 and my usb mouse conflicts, then I unually have to restart the computer or to pull and plug the GPS unit until it hits the right com-port again.

I cannot remember the link to the company's homepage right now, but I can find it if you do not have it.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21   #26
Marine Service Provider

OK, I'll try again and report back after the weekend

Old 01-05-2010, 02:49   #27
oem

Quote:
OK, I'll try again and report back after the weekend
And btw Google Earth is perfect for testing also, you don't even have to specify any com-port, it finds it automatically somehow.

Firmware is on this link:

GlobalSat GPS--商å“介紹

and also various drivers, forums etc. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27   #28
Marine Service Provider

Total failure! (and that's after spending about 5 hours) I can get the ND-100 to work on the MiniCDU program and I can use my garmin Handheld in OPENcpn but whatever settings I use I can't get the ND-100 data into OPENCPN - just a little garbage.

Google Earth can't find the ND-100 either.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36   #29
Marine Service Provider

Yippee

Looks like I spoke too soon...... Just got there after changing the USB port used, COM5 instead of COM4.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Old 04-05-2010, 13:34   #30
oem

Quote:
Yippee

Looks like I spoke too soon...... Just got there after changing the USB port used, COM5 instead of COM4.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Congratulations! I would have written that I needed to restart the PC before it worked, - I cannot remember whether it was the firmware or driver.