Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47   #781

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
On an unrelated note, perhaps it could be considered to include a calculation of sunrise and sunset at location via opencpn - my handheld garmin does it, very useful to have!
If you have xtide (or local operating system derivative) installed it will give you that information [+code]. see night-mode wish in flyspray which includes a tick-box option to automatically switch over to dusk+night mode color palettes based on that info.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 22:53   #782

Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

The OpenCPN is great and the Dashboard makes it complete.

I have a sail boat and the relative wind angle is very important. 29 degrees is bad, 31 is great and 33 is to much. A digital relative wind angle would be great. To get the wind speed in m/s would also be great (for us metric oriented guys).

Beside of this I think the OpenCPN has reached a real proffesional state. I have tried most navigation programs and the only one that can be compared is RayTech from Raymarine, but they seems to lost the visions and development efforts.

/Anders
stoanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 23:05   #783

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

I am quite aware that there are more pressing problems ...

But this goes down badly with first time users....

(I mean the SIZE of the arrows...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tidalcurrents.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	27089  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 00:58   #784

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
I am quite aware that there are more pressing problems ...

But this goes down badly with first time users....

(I mean the SIZE of the arrows...)
Those arrows really helped me navigate your crazy French tides & currents

And yes they do seem a bit large and silly-looking.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:19   #785

Boat: 29'

I rather like them,with usage.The scale being relevant to strength is a strong reminder....anyways,a button makes them dissappear.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20   #786

Boat: Dufour 35

Today I revisited the excellent German tidal Stream data available for the English Channel, the North Sea and the Baltic. Available here and here.

OpenCPN can read part of the Gribfiles. Only the speed of the current, not the direction.

Name:	curr.png
Views:	419
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	27111

There are also hourly maps of the currents available that we could write a script for and automatically download and calibrate. If we wanted to.....

Name:	curr1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	27112
If we combine these two we can get the direction.

Name:	curr2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	27113
But there has long been a feature request regarding these files FS#14 : Improve grip display with current predictions (force, direction, system and future time). It would be very nice if these gribs could display both the strength and the direction of the currents.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:44   #787

Boat: Najad391

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Today I revisited the excellent German tidal Stream data available for the English Channel, the North Sea and the Baltic. Available here and here.

OpenCPN can read part of the Gribfiles. Only the speed of the current, not the direction.
Attachment 27111

There are also hourly maps of the currents available that we could write a script for and automatically download and calibrate. If we wanted to.....

Attachment 27112

Attachment 27113
But there has long been a feature request regarding these files FS#14 : Improve grip display with current predictions (force, direction, system and future time). It would be very nice if these gribs could display both the strength and the direction of the currents.

Thomas
Me like
janp391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 13:12   #788

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

In OpenCPN Norway we have had a few requests for "living lights". Meaning that the light characteristics for a light is matched by an animated light on the map. Just the way it's done in Telchart and Olex...
This feature should be selectable from the tools menu.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 13:22   #789

Another light feature that would be nice (also from Telchart): Possibility to activate one sector or all sectors on a light e.g. "Left click" a light=Activates white sector, "Right click" a light= Activates all sectors.

See screenshot of Telchart...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leftclick.PNG
Views:	222
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	27122   Click image for larger version

Name:	rightclick.PNG
Views:	359
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	27123  

Old 12-05-2011, 22:53   #790

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
pirate Convert Swedish Charaters...

I tested a big with some CM93 charts, looking ok but, for some reason probably historical, the names of places are not in Swedish.

E.g. the charts have AA instead of Å. A simular chage would probably be good for Danish, and Norweegan as well. Even if thet like to her OE into Ø not Ö.

A patch that add this for swedish it at:

https://github.com/balp/OpenCPN/comm...dcf71d4cbec0a3

Comment welcome, how to make its Norweegan, Danish, others friendly welcome. One check box for each possible language don't sound like a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Origional.png
Views:	251
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	27314   Click image for larger version

Name:	swedish.png
Views:	247
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	27315  

balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 04:55   #791

Has there been any progress on my longstanding request to have depth soundings rotate to display right side up when ENC charts are used in course up mode? (I realize that this is impossible for RNC charts, but should be possible for ENC charts.) The would greatly enhance OpenCPN's usefulness for real time chartplotting.

Also, as I mentioned before, when displaying soundings in Feet, the current practice of showing the soundings to the nearest tenth of a foot is unnecessary (in the noise level) and clutters the display. You should round it off to the nearest foot, or provide an option to set the precision to your liking.

Is there a web page that lists the changes currently being worked on? If so, could you post a link?
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 05:19   #792

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
rotate to display right side up when ENC charts are used in course up mode?

Is there a web page that lists the changes currently being worked on? If so, could you post a link?
I also want to push the matter of having the soundings and names rotate to show the right way when using course up.

RhythmDoctor: You can find requests and stuff at OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
Old 13-05-2011, 07:51   #793

Boat: 29'

A route that travels with the vessel in it's entirety.

This is a request inspired by Kaiviti's post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post678536 ...
While I can set the gps prediction line up to indicate say,an hour's progress,(and very useful it is!) a travelling route could include several tacks or laylines and fit in a channel or for Kaiviti,a parallel range line (as I understood it).
It might be just called "a line of possibility".
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 09:23   #794

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

Thomas and all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Today I revisited the excellent German tidal Stream data available for the English Channel, the North Sea and the Baltic.

Quote:
There are also hourly maps of the currents available
I already contacted the BSH via email and complained about showing outdated images while the list always shows the actual date and tomorrows date. They changed it but very often there are no actual images available (don't know why).

Quote:
... that we could write a script for and automatically download and calibrate. If we wanted to.....
I have already wrote such a program (with a GUI) but only for Windows.
But as described above the problem is that there are no actual images available most of the time ...

Quote:
Quote:
IMHO the simplest and best solution would be if the GRIB plug-in would be able to also display the direction as the GRIB files are always actual and also much smaller in size (to download).
I thought this was one reason to pull the GRIB function out of the core into a plug-in ...
I am still hoping that there will be a programmer to re-write the GRIB plug-in (or code a completely new one) to have the ability to also show these information (and also GRIB2 files) ...!

So yes, I vote for this, too.

Gunther
Old 17-05-2011, 03:02   #795

Boat: Oneoff

AIS filtering.
Recently I was navigating the Solent with a merchant vessel on one of the first nice sailing days this season. The amount of AIS targets on the water was making it hard to use OCPN for plain navigation.
I think it would be usefull to add a filter for class B AIS. I'm thinking something like filtering all class B for say one hour, after wich filtering is switched off again.
Filtering class B up to a max. amount of say 5 or 10 targets is also a possibility.
WKR
Dirk
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote