Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 12:06   #2761

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Feature Requests

Notices to mariners:

Bug detected in CanBoat documentation:

the png.h document says:
#define LOOKUP_GNS_INTEGRITY (",0=No integrity checking,1=Safe,2=Caution")

The correct information is:
#define LOOKUP_GNS_INTEGRITY (",0=Safe,1=No integrity checking,2=Caution")

This affects N2K PGN 129029, and therefore, all derived NMEA0183 sentences: GNSS, RMC, GGA and GLL that can be read from OpenCPN from a device that uses the CanBoat database.
----------------------------------
I also tell you that there are errors detected in the Navico gateways (N2K <-> NMEA0183) with the COG / SOG translations and in the N2K heading sensors also from Navico (Field: Magnetic variation).

You need to be very careful processing N2K data. (The big ones are not infallible either ...)
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:22   #2762

Boat: Phantom 19

You have to be very careful processing any data...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:25   #2763

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

Heading up for navigation mode (HDG)
North Up / Course Up / Heading Up
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 13:06   #2764

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
OK, So this is where i can solicit some feedback to help prioritise features for the little used (if any) TwoCan plugin:

1. Linux support via SocketCAN (currently setting up my Linux build environment)

2. Finalise support for AIS an DSC PGN's (Difficult as I've little if any sample data to test against)
3. Refactor code to use the Canboat/Openskipper NMEA 2000 PGN xml or json definition files rather than hardcoding the NMEA 2000 PGN definitions in various plug-in functions.

4. Support write operations on the NMEA 2000 network. Means becoming an active device (ISO Address claim, ISO commands, NMEA product Information etc. of which I already have a .NET implementation) and then opens the pandora's box of what NMEA 183 to NMEA 2000 conversions to support.

ls a tad difficult because if the plug-in requests WANTS_NMEA_SENTENCES, OpenCPN returns all sentences, even those that the plug-in itself set.
5. Dashboard with engine and tank instrumentation derived from the NMEA 2000 PGN's
1 - I think I can help you with that. I use an ARM microcontroller with integrated CAN Bus to do all that management.
2 - I also have written and fully tested the AIS translation code from N2K to NMEA0183 and vice versa, I can also help you with this.
4 - OpenCPN works reasonably well as a data multiplexer NMEA0183, and can be recognized as a gateway between different types of physical networks with NMEA0183 data structure. The problem appears when the source protocol (Seatalk or N2k) demands any type of information or identification because there are no equivalent NMEA0183 sentences. In this case, the only viable solution is for your software to receive and retain all the data. That way you could respond to almost all the PGN "Request group function", which are 2 different.
But do not worry too much about the latter, the only thing you should implement in your software is the response to the ISO and Product Information request, and detect any ISO request with your same "device number", in which case there is an algorithm to know if you must change your number or not, and if you answer or not. (And their response and wait times)
Nobody is going to send you a request to send certain transducer data. The PGN request process is mainly done by Raymarine so that its equipment is recognized and torpedoed the compatibility with other manufacturers. Others, such as Airmar and Garmin, request and manage their "calibration settings". I do not think anything of this affects you.
I hope this clarifies your doubts a little.
Old 22-02-2019, 13:07   #2765

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@Tehani, luckily @nohal drew my attention to this thread — why would you write this up such a message in full detail instead of creating a bug report for https://github.com/canboat/canboat directly? Can you please thank @nohal for creating issue issue 153— which according to more information provided in the issue is not correct.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 13:24   #2766

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
@Tehani, luckily @nohal drew my attention to this thread — why would you write this up such a message in full detail instead of creating a bug report for https://github.com/canboat/canboat directly? Can you please thank @nohal for creating issue issue 153— which according to more information provided in the issue is not correct.
Thanks, I thought about doing it soon.
I have reported this point on this channel because I am not yet used to github and because it seemed very important, but there are more minor corrections.
It takes time to make a full report, I can not contrast and transfer a 5-year job quickly ...
Old 22-02-2019, 13:41   #2767

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
@Tehani,
I also have a list of corrections and extensions of the Seatalk1 protocol documentation, but Mr. Thomas Knauf has told me that he does not have time to publish it.
Do you know where I can post this information?
Old 22-02-2019, 19:54   #2768

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
I also have a list of corrections and extensions of the Seatalk1 protocol documentation, but Mr. Thomas Knauf has told me that he does not have time to publish it.
Do you know where I can post this information?

With Bdbcat's approval, we could post it in the Opencpn wiki in the Supplemental Software book and we could give you access to modify it appropriately.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 18:47   #2769

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Route scale parameters in O5

In O5 the Advanced page of Route Properties has 'Expand' greyed out.

To be consistent with the Waypoint Properties, recommend this be fixed by enabling Expanded properties to add scale parameters that allow choosing a scale to not show the route beyond a certain level.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 22:49   #2770

Tide Station units to match Display units

Presently in the Beta versions of O5 the tide station depths are in meters only.

I recommend these depths match the settings the user has made for the Display Units, at least between meters and feet. Either track the Display Units settings or allow the Tide Station units to be changed, preferably the former.

Terry
Old 28-02-2019, 00:29   #2771

Sort order in Route & Mark Manager

An annoying thing.

When multiple routes are displayed in the Route & Mark Manager, in 4.8.8 they are displayed in AtoZ format.

In OpenCPN 5 beta programs they are displayed in ZtoA and require clicking at the top twice to get them in the more readable format of AtoZ.
See images.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (188).png
Views:	80
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	186795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (189).png
Views:	74
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	186796  

Old 28-02-2019, 02:05   #2772

Thanks Dave, Can you direct me to someone who may have had issues with windows 10 in that when I jot down a new waypoint it shows fine but if I exit Open cpn and turn it back on that waypoint does not show. Also have tried exporting to gpx saves but does not seem to work.I have a bunch of other waypoints that did not give me any problems, but that was when I was using windows 7. I have disenstalled open cpn v 4.8.8 and tried the new ver. 4.99.1426... and still the same problem. Thanks
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 06:38   #2773

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

How are you closing Opencpn? What do you mean jot down?
How do you "Turn it back on?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Thanks Dave, Can you direct me to someone who may have had issues with windows 10 in that when I jot down a new waypoint it shows fine but if I exit Open cpn and turn it back on that waypoint does not show. Also have tried exporting to gpx saves but does not seem to work.I have a bunch of other waypoints that did not give me any problems, but that was when I was using windows 7. I have disenstalled open cpn v 4.8.8 and tried the new ver. 4.99.1426... and still the same problem. Thanks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 07:42   #2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
How are you closing Opencpn? What do you mean jot down?
How do you "Turn it back on?"
Hi, I close the app by clicking on the x in the right hand upper corner. I jot down means I click on Route & Mark Manager,Waypoints,then New. In waypoint properties I fill in name, icon,lat and long.and click ok. The new waypoint shows perfectly on the map but if I shut down app then restart app the waypoint is not there. I turn it back on by clicking on my desktop icon of Open Cpn.
When I had windows 7 I never had this problem.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 07:50   #2775

Boat: Valiant 42

Have you tried to zoom in on the missing waypoint. Does it appear when you zoom in?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote