Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 20:39   #1951

Boat: Roberts 36
Re: Feature Requests

Is there any plan to support BSB4 files for Mac computers?
Gaphumbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 04:12   #1952

Boat: Trisbal 36

Hi,

Sorry if this post isn't necessary, but just to notify developers (as well as interested users) that I posted 3 new feature request suggestions in the tracker.

- Support displaying map tiles (georeferenced png/jpeg images) downloaded locally for offline use - think satellite pictures, marine traffic density maps, phone operator coverage, etc.

- Store several vector chart display custom profiles instead of the only Mariner's Standard - think coastal, offshore and oceanic settings which are different, especially (bet not limited to) shallow, safety and deep depths.

- Store the depth available from NMEA in the saved tracks for later use and being able to export the depth in the GPX file.

Please vote for these feature requests in the tracker if you're interested.
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 06:15   #1953

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
- Store several vector chart display custom profiles instead of the only Mariner's Standard - think coastal, offshore and oceanic settings which are different, especially (bet not limited to) shallow, safety and deep depths.
Yes, there is an identical request, it is under FS551
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 06:16   #1954

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Belle-isle, and Alex please see the Survey plugin which is under development.
Thanks very much for using tracker.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 14:06   #1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Belle-isle, and Alex please see the Survey plugin which is under development.
Thanks very much for using tracker.
Thanks for the suggestion Rick. However, I haven't seen any Survey plugin on the plugin page.

And I'm already having a hard time trying to follow where to find some builds of the plugins for Mac OS X ! Now that I updated to 4.2, I found the Climatology plugin on the plugin page, but couldn't find the WeatherFax nor the WeatherRouting plugins...

And since I'm sailing full time, I don't have time to try and compile stuff. Never got around to having it work when I had more time, so I know it would be useless now.

It would be nice if beta builds were gathered on the plugin page so that users would not need to fossick for builds.
Old 18-02-2016, 09:28   #1956

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

There are so many plugins now, could we please organize them according to categories in the plugin download page so it can be easier to find which plugins you are looking for. dave already has put them in categories here, which seems nice:

OpenCPN Plugins
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:30   #1957

Sean,
Sure we can do that. It is already done in some cases. It may take me a week to do this.
Old 18-02-2016, 14:27   #1958

Nice layout for sorting the plugins !

Now what would be great would be for each plugin, a simple 3x2 table with links to the latest version for each of the 3 OS (Windows, Mac, Linux) and the release (stable, beta).
Old 24-02-2016, 09:56   #1959

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I've been using OpenCPN on an Odroid C1+ SoC/SBC with Lubuntu. Works nice. But, I have to go to JOSM to view street maps of port cities.

I know there was work to build a converter to convert OSM -> S57 ENC, but never heard if it was successful. Has anyone looked into bringing charts and maps together into OCPN?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32   #1960

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
I've been using OpenCPN on an Odroid C1+ SoC/SBC with Lubuntu. Works nice. But, I have to go to JOSM to view street maps of port cities.

I know there was work to build a converter to convert OSM -> S57 ENC, but never heard if it was successful. Has anyone looked into bringing charts and maps together into OCPN?
Even the better scale NOAA do not show the boats in the harbors! And when one goes ashore, it's nice to know where the food can be found. So, integration of OpenCPN and OSM seems like it would be a sweet (but maybe far future) feature. See:

https://programmingmiscellany.wordpr...e-noaa-charts/

... for an example of a nice harbor shot with OSM. A drill-down into the OSM data can list restaurants, bars, etc.

- Ron
Old 14-03-2016, 16:27   #1961

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi,

here a thought for the software savy to chew on ;-)
when I look at a past track it would be great to look at it and say here was the fastest or slowest speed over ground.
This could be either made by modifying the track color or by showing "porcupines" along the recorded track.
Either solution should have an on off button.
The color solution would be perhaps better as it is scale independent.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 14-04-2016, 12:34   #1962

Franziska, you could put that in Tracker, see opencpn.org menus, as a feature request, titled RM tracks ....
Old 18-04-2016, 02:05   #1963
Marine Service Provider

Re: Feature Requests - S63 charts - chart downloader

I suggest that the Chart downloader is extended to also handle downloading, installing and upgrading of purchased S63 charts. Also important is that the chart downloader will be able to automatically install new charts and install of renewed install permits.

I do not mean to purchase the charts or keys/permits, but to handle all imports of already purchased Cell permits and "import charts/updates" who today is listed under " Chart cells" in today’s S63 plugin.

For example, if you purchase charts from chartworld, all charts and permits is made available from a direct download link.

The chart downloader should as soon as the direct download link to purchased S63 charts is provided (and subject to that keys/permits is correctly installed up front)
be able to handle all install, update, extension and renewal of purchased S63 charts, just the same way and just as easy as done today with NOAA charts, and that they will be visible in the Chartdownloader chart catalogue and can be updated together with and the same way as other sources in the chartdownloader dialogue window.

Today’s practice with manual updating of S63 charts and installing of renewals and additional purchased charts is time consuming, inefficient and the possibility to make errors when doing sequential updates is huge.

If this feature is implemented, for example installing Navionics S63 charts from chartworld will be a smooth ride for most users. Navionics
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 02:54   #1964

I added this as a feature request to opencpn tracker under JOSM integration. I agree it seems like a good idea. With Good Anchorage gone and Squiddio appearing to be a non-starter, we need some way to gather open sourced POI information. The only other choice I see is Active Captain and there seems to be a huge wall between the OpenCPN team and the Active Caption folks.

Regards,
Doug.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 03:55   #1965

Dwoodall wrote:
"Squiddio appearing to be a non-starter, we need some way to gather open sourced POI information."
Please explain what you mean. Have you tried it? It has a very good interface and covers many areas. Why not use it?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/making-the-most-josm/

Not so sure integration of a Java 7 based editor of openstreetmap is a good idea for security reasons. maybe there is a different tool that could be used.