Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2024, 19:48   #1

Dual Touch Screen Monitors

With apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I didn't find it in my searching, but I assume I'm not the first with the question...

I am in the process of upgrading the electronics on my trawler to include a PC with dual touch screen monitors to primarily run Open CPN. I'm new to the s/w but want the redundancy and resiliency of having something that isn't Simrad.

I've got the system currently set up in my house before installing on the boat. What I'm finding is that Open CPN isn't happy with my two-monitor setup, having occasional issues with resizing the Open CPN window. (So far this is cleared up by exiting the program and restarting, but the display almost always gets corrupted when manually resizing the window.)

So my issue: I would like to have two instances of Open CPN running; one on each monitor showing different views. As this doesn't appear possible, the closest I've come to this is the canvas layout, but the view gets corrupted each time I've tried to extend the program across the two (identical) monitors. I'm assuming there may be some issue with the display cache and I'm hoping there's a configuration setting that solves this.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated by this newbie.

Thanks!

Steve
Kallisto 5369
Kallisto_Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 20:36   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Dual Touch Screen Monitors

Some video cards (Nvidia gaming cards) have a mode where you have multiple monitors, but Windows sees them as a single large monitor. This has the consequence that when you maximize a program to full screen, it covers both monitors. But you can still size a program to fit in one monitor, and it works a lot better when one program is drawing across multiple monitors. As far as Windows knows it is a single monitor.
You would probably need to spend a minimum of about $200 on a card with this feature, and it will consume more power. My "GTX 1650 super" has the feature.
Old 24-01-2024, 20:45   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

You can run two instances of OpenCPN on one machine in portable mode (Starting with -p parameter).
You will need to do it by having two copies of the program in different folders - Sharing data (except charts) between two concurrently running instances is NOT supported and would result in unpredictable problems.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 23:33   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Well, routes and waypoints can be shared by sending those to other instances of OpenCPN in the same network.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, screen