Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 08:18   #196

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Climatology

In windows version it is best to use Climatology config to turn off all hurricane data not in your area or of concern, to lower the cpu and disk activity.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 15:56   #197

Donation for Sean's Voyage.

Please consider the many lines of code Sean created for the plugins Climatology, Weather_Routing, Weatherfax, Watchman, Celestial_Navigation, plus work on Grib and other plugins. It is very likely you will be using his code, all freely shared. He is very passionate about making Opencpn the best software available and puts his heart into that. He is embarking on another sailing journey in his Bristol, and I know he will appreciate any donation large or small. I worked with/for Sean for about 3 months helping him with Climatology and the others. I do hope he will share with us the parts of his story that he'd like through a blog, because I am convinced it would be very interesting. He's a very talented programmer and sailor. I hope we can help him out in whatever way possible! -rgleason

PS: I apologize if this brief note is beyond Forum standards, and upsets anyone, and at the same time I recognize the extraordinary efforts of the many and the few who created this software. This is a testament to the freedom of sailors everywhere, and sensible and smart people working together cooperatively from all over the world, in many languages, and all getting along, in a truly remarkable way. Sean has adopted this community in his travels and is a part of it when ashore and connected to the internet. We are lucky to include him in this community. I know any contribution will go a long way. Thanks for your understanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Donate to Sean's Voyage.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	62554  
Old 19-06-2013, 01:49   #198

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Here is the screenshot I plan to use for release
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology.png
Views:	170
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	62837  
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 00:45   #199

I have a feature request, to show the pressure in a different format:
xxxx.yy To me it seems kind of confusing to show it as a 6 digit number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Opencpn_Weather-route.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	62959  
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:17   #200

Plugins-Beta - Weather_Routing & Climatology Updates
Compiled current as of June 20,2013.

Opencpn Beta Login - Plugins - rguser, rgpass.

Updates for Climatology and Weather_Routing, and simplification of directories and files. For full description see Plugin Threads
Old 21-06-2013, 15:23   #201

Note to users. The Plugins in Opencpn-Beta File Thing, above should work, this is a separate issue!

This is about a very very recent compile MSVC v3.3.604 of Climatology after git fetch and git pull (nothing came down for Climatologyas far as I could determine). I copied the Debug Climatology.dll out two directories, and then ran MSVC Debug, the plugin did not pick up the climatology/data/ "data" and is blank, Tabs show properly.

I am going to try a release version in Ocpencpn3.3.604 release next.

-Note the nice way wx-rte calcs options when set with a proper sized step.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wx-Rte-Climatology-Testing-Opencpnv3.3.604-after-very-recent-comileMSVC-Climatology-sees-NO-DATA.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	62999  
Old 21-06-2013, 15:50   #202

Ok this is a test of the same plugin run above in MSVC debug, but this is the RELEASE version of Climatology (most recent with git pull), run in a release version of Opencpn3.3.604 (most recent with a git pull). I have also included both builds of Climatology, the one for v3.2.0 and the most recent one for v3.3.604. They both work, and they SEE DATA, and built with progress bar. -So in summary, MSVC is cXXp and Release works.

They are both running at the same time, one version is showing Wind data and the other January cyclone data near AUS. Wx-Rte is also up and running (recent git pull too)

I'm going to upload these Climatology 3.3.604 and Wx-Rte to Opencpn-Beta-3.3.604 File-Thingie for testing, overwriting the previous files.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wx-Rte-Climatology-Testing-Opencpnv3.3.604-after-very-recent-compile-Release-Version-SEES-DATA.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	63000  
Old 22-06-2013, 05:41   #203

See note about testing Weather_Routing and Climatology in Plugin Thread -Post #63
Old 24-06-2013, 12:54   #204

Plugins-Beta - Weather_Routing & Climatology Updates
Climatology recompiled again today with changes. Download new Climate-Data-6.

Opencpn Beta Login - Plugins - rguser, rgpass.

Old 28-06-2013, 07:56   #205

Compiling Climatology Under MSVC++ 2010 and in DEBUG mode
The Climatology plugin starts out disabled, and must be enabled more frequently from Settings > Plugins. Don't know why this is necessary, but it appears the INI boolean for enable is being set to 0 more frequently by the plugin. Once Climatology Icon is available, click on it and the Database is not rebuilt for some reason. I look at the pathname for the data and it appears that one of the slashes is the wrong way - could that be the problem?

Anyway running Weather routing with Climatology up from within MSVC in DEBUG mode, the "climatology plugin fails" according to the Weather routing route messages.

Got a breakpoint somewhat later:
Code:
     KernelBase.dll!75153219()     
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for KernelBase.dll]    
>    wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxTrap()  Line 678    C++
     00000001()

Climatlogy Plugin will probably work fine ( and read the data) as "Release" version which I will test next.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:05   #206

In Release Opencpn 3.3.604001

Climatology plugin when clicked reads the data properly showing progress bar and each of the files being read, unlike in MSVC Debug Mode.

Ok after changing Weather_Routing_pi.cpp line 235 Minor Version from 2 to "3" Climatology is recognized by Weather_Routing and a long routing can be run.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climate-Wx-Rte-after-change-Line235-from3to2-Climatology-is-recognized.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	63281  
Old 29-06-2013, 18:09   #207

I wanted to recompile Climatology for Opencpn v3.2.0 with Sean's recent changes.
With Pavel's couching, I was able to create a new directory for the repositiory, git init, then
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
then change to the Opencpn 3.2.0 state
git checkout opencpn-3.2.0
then from the opencpn-git directory
mkdir build
cd build
then (critical to do this as it sets up opencpn.sln and *.h files) -Pavel's help
cmake .. and cmake --build in the build directory.
then open MSVC and the appropriate opencpn.sln file in the correct directory under build directory.
then it will compile as Opencpn 3.2.0!!
I was trying to short cut omitting cmake commands and just do MSVC and what happens is the Opencpn version remains as v3.3.604 as before.

There was one other problem I was having with all of Sean's plugins, there was a message in cmake output regarding lines in his cmake files.
INCLUDE("../PluginLocalization.cmake")
PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION()

My git version apparently did not have the necessary file PluginLocalization.cmake so Pavel suggested that I download it here

https://raw.github.com/OpenCPN/OpenC...lization.cmake

and advised "You will have to rename/delete it before switching back to master, otherwise there will be a conflict as the file exists there. The best solution would of course be if you create your own local 3.2 branch which contains this file."

--So I have created my own local 3.2 branch, which takes space but works now thanks to Pavel.

Now to compiling Climatology. There were some difficulties. The first times I tried the plugin in MSVC Debug mode
1. Cyclones did not work
2. TABS did not work
3. Data did not show and the checkboxes were greyed out.
4. The plugin also prompted, saying data was missing, to download it from the SourceForge Opencpn Plugin site. The link was for CL-Data-5 which was a surprise since he had asked me to do one final download and processing to create CL-DATA-6! So, I tried copying over the climate/data/ directory files with CL-DATA-5 files. That kind of fixed the data problem and it became apparent to me that Sean intended to still use CL-DATA-5. (I had taken that off the beta site, but will put it back up). He could have told me about that!
5. Now there were other problems... TABS and Cyclones. Sound familiar?
The code changes suggested by ChuckSK in Post #184 and Post #192 solved those problems (found the changes were on different lines).
6. The MSVC Debug Climatology plugin for Opencpn v3.2.0 exhibited breaks and complaints about wx inserts etc. so I could not run it, but when I compiled the release and put it into a release Opencpn v3.2.0 it works.
7. Now I have some news for you folks, for some reason this plugin version is 0.2
minor version "2" and it runs in Opencpn 3.2.0 and greater.
8. There is another version of Climatology that runs in Opencpn 3.3.604 and that compiles as plugin version 0.3 and it uses CL-DATA-6 I believe.
9. Additionally, I just recently modified weather_routing so that #8 would work, but changing the minor version number.
10. I think Sean should have just told me what he wanted to do, rather than program his way around it (me) to do what he wanted to do! However I am still unsure about what he actually wants.
- Is Climatology_v02_Ov3.2.0 to use CL-DATA-5 and run with Wx-Rte?
- Is Climatology _v03_Ov3.3.604 to use CL-DATA-6 and run with Wx-Rte?

Before I continue, and upload this updated version for Ov3.2.0 I am going to have to consider the alternatives a bit, unless Sean wants to let us know.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:52   #208

After some testing and investigation, I think Sean intended the following:

1. Climatology (Plugin version 0.2) Opencpn v3.2.0 +
Uses CL-DATA-5 (will not use compressed cyclone data)
If the data is not available, a URL link appear and goes to Opencpn-Beta File Thing looking for CL-DATA-5 with this message "You must extract this data, and place in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\climatology\data Then restart Opencpn."

2. Climatology (Plugin version 0.3) Opencpn version 3.3.406+
Uses CL-DATA-6 (uses compressed cyclone data)
If the data is not available, URL link appears
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpnplugins/files/climatology_pi/
to download CL-DATA-6 with this message "You must extract this data, and place in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\climatology\data Then restart Opencpn."

3. Weather_Routing Plugin

It appears that we need to recomplie weather_routing now, so that it will run both plugins, as currently it only runs Plugiin version 3.

Also I need to upload CL-DATA-5 to Opencpn Beta File Thing.
I'll make these changes and upload the plugins in the next couple of days.
By the way Debug versions of both plugins have issues in MSVC, but work fine in release form as far as I can determine.

Old 30-06-2013, 07:21   #209

Amendment to above... please refer to Weather_routing Post #317

Just need to recompile Climatology_pi v03 for Opencpn v 3.2.0 and upload compresed and uncompressed versions of the data CL-DATA-5 and CL-DATA-6.

Both v03 versions (Opencpn 3.2.0+ and 3.3.405+) should work with uncompressed or compressed data, so there will be some options for downloading data.

Also to simplify, we'll provide only the plugin v03 compiled under Opencpn 3.2.0.
Old 30-06-2013, 10:59   #210

Have compiled climatology_win32_pi19_v03_ov320_pi.dll (plugin version 0.3, opencpn 3.2.0 and greater) dated 6/30/2013 and tested it with compressed and uncompressed data and it will accept either.

From github commit notations I found that Sean had dropped all cyclone data before 1968 to "save memory and the data may not be accurate anyway", I believe that data is in cyclone-bio, cyclone-bsh and cyclone-bwp. Therefore these files will not be distributed.

When the Opencpn Beta File Thing is uploaded, CL-DATA-5 will be updated to contain all compressed files and there will be a choice of two Climate Data file sets - Compressed (*.gz) and uncompressed.
Quote:
CL-DATA-5.7z (5.2mb, containing uncompressed files)
CL-DATA-5.zip (6.8mb, with compressed *.gz files)
Download either file. You may compress all the files using gzip to be *.gz to save data space and the plugin v03 will still read the data properly.

There will be one Windows plugin dll file uploaded.

Quote:
climatology_win32_pi19_v03_ov320_pi.dll
dated 6/30/2013 Plugin version 0.3, opencpn 3.2.0 and greater.

This version 03 should work with the current
Quote:
weather_routing_pi_win32_pi110_v08_ov33401_pi.dll

Tags
paracelle