Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 12:22   #1111
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
Re: Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Md'J, imgkap charts work well for me in my old Visnav.... I only test these in VisNav as a curiousity. Some charts I made differently do not work in VisNav,and it's a mystery why imgkaps do,some others don't.
You can do a simple test, generate a tif image and then rebuild the kap with image and the previous kap.

>imgkap test.kap test.tif
>imgkap test.tif test.kap result.kap
(I have a little bug in this conversion, which will be corrected in the next version, but kap should work)

If kap generated work, the problem is in image coding and not in the header in the previous kap file.

Initially I noticed errors in tiffbsb that can explain this problem.
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:30   #1112

Boat: Farr 1104

Thanks for the replies. Raytech 6.1. It says it runs NOAA/BSB, and it at least runs the bsb available in Capcode, and comes with a rrf file that looks like a maptech one in my hex editor. Maptech charts were not available for my area, so I dont have official ones to compare with. Have looked at the headers in a hex program of various other ones I have found, and added them without success. The capcode one of Cape Cod I couldnt see the difference. It was only after I used ms2bsb-poly that I could get the NZ ones to work in Kiwitech, my (legal) precursor to Raytech, but that only seems to work on pre xp computers. Havent tried imgkap in kiwitech yet. OpenCPN works fine for planning, but does not have laylines, and I seem to have great skill in picking head winds.
Thanks again
Rapport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:13   #1113

Boat: Dufour 35

One thing worth testing is if Raytech requires a tag in the header stating the origin o the file etc.
Capcode uses And Noaa uses
Quote:
CRR/This electronic chart was produced under the authority of USA-NOAA/NOS.
It could also be a silly thing, like requiring an accompanying bsb file for the kap file. This should be easy to test as well.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 00:27   #1114

Yes !
The only file on my computer that Raytech finds has a bsb as well as a kap file.
So... What actually is the difference between BSB and Kap?
Is there a file that makes bsb, or can I just reuse the modified header (since thats what it looks like)
Thanks again.
Old 27-04-2011, 06:49   #1115

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapport View Post
Yes !
The only file on my computer that Raytech finds has a bsb as well as a kap file.
So... What actually is the difference between BSB and Kap?
Is there a file that makes bsb, or can I just reuse the modified header (since thats what it looks like)
Thanks again.
Well,I know what I'd do-I'd make one in note pad using that one that works as a template...turn WORDWRAP off,pay attention to spaces or tabs.

You might just be able to use imgkap to get the header,and save as a bsb file...at CMDprompt">"

imgkap "mykap.kap" "myheader.kap" "myimg.tif"

quotes are for names with spaces,"myheader.kap" being just a text file.A bit confusing-(note to M'dJ:,anyway to change that?so that header.kap is output as "header.txt" or something else?)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 08:23   #1116
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i

To my knowledge, the BSB files are only text files which contain a list of cards with descriptions about a region, each card being a KAP file with a header text, an image encoded by lines and an array of theses lines.

Before saying stupid things, I prefer see tonight the detail of BSB.

HappySeagull, I noted the request for the name of header file, but can you clarify the issue of KAP in VisNav

M'dJ
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 08:41   #1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
To my knowledge, the BSB files are only text files which contain a list of cards with descriptions about a region, each card being a KAP file with a header text, an image encoded by lines and an array of theses lines.

HappySeagull, I noted the request for the name of header file, but can you clarify the issue of KAP in VisNav

M'dJ
Sure can! Yours work!
Old 27-04-2011, 12:38   #1118

Exploring the bsb in an editor is what I am doing, thanks.
Any idea what NTM/ NE ND BF BD mean, and another line CGD/ ?
The rest I think I have figured,but open to advice, and hoping that TY has limited choices.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 27-04-2011, 13:06   #1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapport View Post
Exploring the bsb in an editor is what I am doing, thanks.
Any idea what NTM/ NE ND BF BD mean, and another line CGD/ ?
The rest I think I have figured,but open to advice, and hoping that TY has limited choices.
Thanks again everyone.
This is a quick and dirty take:

NTM/ Notice to Mariners
NE edition of NTM
ND data in NTM
BF base flag for NTM (?)
BD base data for NTM (?)

CGD/ Coast Guard District

I doubt very much that these tags are needed.
Just keep it simple to start with. Maybe it's even enough that there just is a file called "chart-whatever.BSB" even if it is empty.
BSB files are just pure text information files.

Here is an example of a quite small Brazilean official BSB file
Code:
!BSB Electronic Chart.
CRR/Copyright 2005
CHT/NA=DA ISLA ARECUTACUÁ A ESTANCIA OLIVARES,NU=3304
CHF/RIVER
CED/SE=1,RE=1,ED=05/19/2010
NTM/NE=0,ND=11/23/2010
VER/3.07
CHK/1,330401
ORG/DHN
MFR/CHM
K01/NA=DA ISLA ARECUTACUÁ A ESTANCIA OLIVARES,NU=330401,TY=BASE,FN=330401.KAP
Thomas
Old 27-04-2011, 13:18   #1120

The following is from Maptech :
Quote:
3. BSB File Format – A Brief Description
The BSB format consists of three primary types of chart files:
Documentation File
Image File
Update Patch File
a) The Documentation File is an ASCII (format) file that accompanies the raster image data
file(s) for each chart. This data file has the extension “.BSB" and contains information about
the paper chart and data resulting from the chart production process. Since many paper nautical
charts contain one or more chart panels, the designation “base” refers to the main chart panel
while an “inset” pertains to a larger-scale coverage for a harbor or particular area of interest.
“Extensions” are additional areas of coverage for features (such as rivers) that extend beyond the
area covered by base area of the chart. Base, inset and extension panels are referred to as
KAPPs. Depending on the number of chart insets and extensions, the Documentation File
contains one or more KAPP specific records. Each KAPP has a unique number identifying it,
and each record points to the associated KAPP Image File.
Further information on the Documentation File Format is contained in Chapter 2.0 of the
Maptech BSB File Format: Data Description and Specification.
The document, mentioned in the last two lines, contains the nitty gritty, and is not publicly available as far as I know.

Thomas
Old 27-04-2011, 13:27   #1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Well,I know what I'd do-I'd make one in note pad using that one that works as a template...turn WORDWRAP off,pay attention to spaces or tabs.
tip: on Windows use the much nicer TextPad or notepad++.
on Linux you probably already have a favourite, I like nedit.
on Mac OSX try bbedit, or nedit via X11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ
to have a look as one download a NOAA chart - they ship with them.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 13:33   #1122

this might be important to the Raytech...note that this bsb 's name is 3410.BSB

and yet it refs 341001 and 341002 as plans.That could be important in usage..and recognition...
Note that UNKNOWN seems a valid entry of data to the CHS!

"
!Copyright 1996, NDI. All Rights Reserved
CHT/NA=SOOKE INLET TO/A PARRY BAY,NU=3410
CHF/GENERAL
CED/SE=3410, RE= 341001, ED=02/02/96
VER/1.1
CHK/2,341001,341002
CGD/UNKNOWN
ORG/Nautical Data International Inc., 1 Military Rd., P.O. Box 127, Station C S
t. John's, NF, A1C 5H5, on behalf of: Canadian Hydrographic Service, 615 Bo
oth St., Room 237, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0E6

K01/NA=SOOKE INLET TO/A PARRY BAY,NU=3410,TY=BASE,FN=341001.kap
K02/NA=PEDDER BAY,NU=3410,TY=INSET,FN=341002.kap"
Old 29-04-2011, 17:55   #1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
For Linux I think that using "xcalib" is quite good as it takes care of all programs. More about this in the wiki..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
xcalib is excellent, glad to have found the tip on the wiki. My biggest complaint when running in WinXP was the brightness of the window decorations, and full screen mode will take care of that. Setting the brightness and contrast on the monitor to 0% wasn't nearly enough.

On the Mac powerbook I think it's really easy, just apple-F1/F2 or something (don't quite remember, ask a mac-head). [invert bright day mode with Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-8?]

survey says:
Really dim down an external display - Mac OS X Hints

hmmm, this one says to check out `dim` or `pmset` from the command line on OSX:
10.3: Understanding PowerBook screen dimming timing - Mac OS X Hints
Another nightview hint for WindowsXP users, try the Zune desktop theme with a solid black background in place of the image.

Microsoft Zune Theme - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

zune theme - Google Search

best,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 09:59   #1124

I often sail in areas where there are no charts, or no charts of a suitable scale. In the past I have used OziExplorer to create charts from air photos, satellite images, and for charts of anchorages by taking a handheld gps off in a dinghy and recording tracks of the coast, 5m contour etc.. and then pinging rocks, islets etc. as waypoints. I can upload all that into Ozi, display it on a blank screen and create an image from it. I can then edit the image to fill in land colours etc. re-import it to ozi and have a usable chartlet.

Something else I do is have Ozi record depths from my sounder all the time. If I find something interesting (scary) I can use a utility to convert the depths recorded in the track file to a line of soundings on the chart and thereby add soundings. There is also a feature to add map features which I use to add symbols. These added features are saved in the Ozi .map files and can be imported to other charts covering the same area (different scales etc.).

Ozi is very versatile in this respect but it's interface is rather clunky when it comes to marine navigation. I really like the way that OpenCpn is developing and have started reading this thread on creating charts, but there is lot here!!!

Bearing in mind that I would prefer to do this in Linux, but have a mac mini on board as my main boat computer at the moment. (Ozi runs under wine on Linux or Parallels under OSX)

Is there a way to import tracks and use them as I mention above in open CPN?
Is there a way to log depths and later convert them to chart symbols?
Is there a way to add chart symbols?
Is there a way to share these chart updates with others?

I'm guessing the plugin functionality would allow some of these features to be developed if they don't already exist?

Apologies is some or all of this has been asked before but I have not found it if it has.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 09:05   #1125

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
I often sail in areas where there are no charts, or no charts of a suitable scale. In the past I have used OziExplorer to create charts from air photos, satellite images, and for charts of anchorages by taking a handheld gps off in a dinghy and recording tracks of the coast, 5m contour etc.. and then pinging rocks, islets etc. as waypoints. I can upload all that into Ozi, display it on a blank screen and create an image from it. I can then edit the image to fill in land colours etc. re-import it to ozi and have a usable chartlet. Something else I do is have Ozi record depths from my sounder all the time. If I find something interesting (scary) I can use a utility to convert the depths recorded in the track file to a line of soundings on the chart and thereby add soundings. There is also a feature to add map features which I use to add symbols. These added features are saved in the Ozi .map files and can be imported to other charts covering the same area (different scales etc.). Ozi is very versatile in this respect but it's interface is rather clunky when it comes to marine navigation. I really like the way that OpenCpn is developing and have started reading this thread on creating charts, but there is lot here!!! Bearing in mind that I would prefer to do this in Linux, but have a mac mini on board as my main boat computer at the moment. (Ozi runs under wine on Linux or Parallels under OSX) Is there a way to import tracks and use them as I mention above in open CPN? Is there a way to log depths and later convert them to chart symbols? Is there a way to add chart symbols? Is there a way to share these chart updates with others? I'm guessing the plugin functionality would allow some of these features to be developed if they don't already exist? Apologies is some or all of this has been asked before but I have not found it if it has.
Hi,Littlechay.Hopefully I'm getting what you mean!
If I understand it,there are two ways to do all this...
One is to create editable charts from screen grabs or your own images(see IMGKAP thread and predecessor TIFF2KAP thread,because foreknowledge is assumed in imgkap thread)you could edit the screengrabs as images in an image editor,rebuild in imgkap as raster charts. I haven't used IMGKAP in Linux but there's a version.

OR,
..it pretty much sounds like you could do some of this as a Track,Route Waypoint function,but I'm not aware of a function to match sounding data to a track in OpenCPN on-the-go (but I can barely keep up with the ongoing and there may be!in the Dashboard Plugin perhaps to read the nmea data from your sounder?)so you'd still want Ozi for this.Maybe the format Ozi uses to plot the soundings can be exported as gpx (or GPSBabel or GPSUtilitycan convert it to gpx.The latter allows easy editing)

The GPX format OpenCPN uses is pretty adaptable.You can even link to photos and files....(there's a thread on this)
It sounds as if... each point of a sounded track could have the sounding-as-its-name ,for instance ... It could for sure be done manually,not so bad if it's just the interesting bits you want.
Marks themselves either separate or in the track,can have a ton of info in em and of course have their own special icon too...
Were I doing this,the tidiest way to keep everything sorted is to clear the openCPN tracks and waypoints("delete all"-but it doesn't actually delete them if they are saved/imported from elsewhere) and then do your stuff,and then "export all" as a single gpx with a suitable name into suitable folders when finished.Email the gpx off to compatriots or reimport em to OpenCPN as required,etc....

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb