Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 05:21   #16

Boat: Amel Sharki
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Rather than performing compiles, has anyone tried using Crossover Mac as a solution rather than Parallels or VMWARE for emulation?
I am not sure if Crossover Mac supports the Mac hardware like Bluetooth (my GPS device) or serial devices like Parallels does. I have no problems running OCPN latest version with Parallels, but I really want a genuine new Mac version of OCPN. Actually only v1.3.9 is available for the Mac and the newer versions seems to have much more benefits.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 08:12   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
CarCode - thats very true. I was hoping that there might be a way to install OCPN w/o a $upporting OS, but it looks like low level drivers might be an issue. One of the advantages with pursuing a native OSX version.

If you all figure this out, please post some finalized build instructions in the wiki, or hopefully we will get to a point where we see OSX builds posted in the downloads.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 08:33   #18

Fortunately we have a freeware navigation software which handle most of our basic needs. Furthermore there seems to be some people developping this code in the directions the users wanted it to. Ever bought a software and asked the vendor for eliminating bugs or even ehancements? They do not mostly.

May be some more Mac users can push OCPN to a native OSX version.
Old 29-07-2010, 08:38   #19
cruiser

I think one of the problems is that most OSX users are going to have Windows applications that they will need to use anyway - communications, weather fax, SailMail etc etc...so, given that they will need a VM, they will probably just go with the Windows version of OCPN as well. In other words, the vast majority of OSX people that will use OCPN will already be using windows anyway. So a native OSX version will only be serving a few people. Sad, but perhaps true. I wish all of my software would be OSX native, but it ain't gonna happen.
Old 29-07-2010, 08:56   #20

I have not a poll on hand for that, but for myself I use Windows very seldom. I am using computers since about 20 years now. Always looking for something else than Windows, I used the old AmigaOS (yes really) and then Linux and since 2 years now Mac OSX. So what should I say? OSX was the best of all when someone want to work with a computer. Any small task needed can be programmed quick and dirty with the tools delivered by OSX even for a non-programmer.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:02   #21
cruiser

CarCode no dispute. Started out in macs 27 years ago, then pcs and IBM, then back to macs. Use osx for everything including work on linux and windows. But its not a matter of programmability - to the end user software availability is software availability. Unfortunately, for nautical stuff - no much is out there on osx that is useful or professionally built.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:10   #22

So it seems we are in the same age
I have sold my last boat 15 years ago, now I am into retirement, looking for a new boat and the needed equipment for the rest of my life living on a boat.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:25   #23
cruiser

Sold mine, and looking similarly. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever afford retirement
Old 29-07-2010, 09:34   #24

Indeed the retirement payment is about 30% less, but for survival it is OK. Last boat was a Amel build monohull, now I look for a multihull. A catamaran should be good for me with plenty of place and low draft.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43   #25

when I use Cmake on the latest build I got this output

The C compiler identification is GNU
The CXX compiler identification is GNU
Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot
Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot - yes
Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - yes
Check for working C compiler using: Xcode
Check for working C compiler using: Xcode -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - failed
Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot
Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot - yes
Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - yes
Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode
Check for working CXX compiler using: Xcode -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - failed
*** Building opencpn 2.2.809 ***
*** Building PlugIns ***
*** Building grib_pi ***
Found wxWidgets: TRUE
Found ZLIB: /usr/include
*** Building demo_pi ***
*** Building dashboard_pi ***
*** Building celestial_navigation_pi ***
Found GTK2_GTK: /sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib
GPSD Library support: enabled
Found gps: /usr/local/lib/libgps.dylib
Building with libgps includes
S57 ENC support: enabled
Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
Writing spec file...
Configuring done

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - failed, what am I missing here Googled for more then a week now but still not found a good explanation. Google is not mine friend in this matter
sv Aurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04   #26

I am not a professional programmer nor do I program seriously at a DIY level. Furthermore I do not have studied the OCPN code enough now.

As far as I know OCPN was done with the free GNU C compiler. Apple has the XCode compiler and programming environment which is a free tool also. Matching these together might fail in my understanding when there is no equivalent in XCode e.g. for this strange "ABI" component. There should be however an explanation about this ABI component in the docs of the GNU C compiler I hope.

BTW I suggest to open a discussion group for Mac OS X users and programmers. So one might help the others. Do you have tried to compile the source from scratch and which source version and XCode version you have used? A few days ago a new XCode version was distributed by the Apple update.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56   #27

Xcode uses GCC

Xcode is not a compiler, it is an IDE, the compiler used is GCC 4.2 and LLVM GCC 4.2

ABI failed messages don't necessarily mean it won't work. What other messages are you getting?
scubataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01   #28

OK I was afraid I missed some kind of dependency

Building it with Cmake wil indeed give me a Xcodeproject flle while debugging and building (i386) it, it replies with 4 warnings and 4 failures I'm just a novice in c programming thus I think its far beyound mine knowledge to try to solve the problem, I now struggle mine way throug this forum to find info of building it for the mac.

this is one of the build failure warnings

ld: warning: directory '/opt/local/lib/Debug' following -L not found
ld: unknown option: -Bsymbolic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Command /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2 failed with exit code 1

Thnks for the quik responce
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I am not a professional programmer nor do I program seriously at a DIY level. Furthermore I do not have studied the OCPN code enough now.

As far as I know OCPN was done with the free GNU C compiler. Apple has the XCode compiler and programming environment which is a free tool also. Matching these together might fail in my understanding when there is no equivalent in XCode e.g. for this strange "ABI" component. There should be however an explanation about this ABI component in the docs of the GNU C compiler I hope.

BTW I suggest to open a discussion group for Mac OS X users and programmers. So one might help the others. Do you have tried to compile the source from scratch and which source version and XCode version you have used? A few days ago a new XCode version was distributed by the Apple update.
I am up to date with the Xcode so the latest is here I compiled it from scratch en this is the latest result of build 809

I am no experiencent coder either just novice but trying to solve the big puzzle, is this thread not about building it on a mac?
Old 11-08-2010, 17:26   #30
Marine Service Provider

Aurelia....

Good job on the XCode build of Beta 809. At least it starts and runs.

1. Is it stable? Crashing at all?
2. I cannot figure out what is the background image of the screen shot which you have posted. Is this effect present when the charts cover the full screen? Only in quilt mode? Any characterization of this odd graphic would be most helpful....
3. Did you have to make any source or script file changes, even minor ones, to get a good build?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote