Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 17:06   #1

Boat: mottle 33
backing up openCPN files

hi - thanks for openCPN : i totally love it - Q: how best to back up openCPN so that if i have to replace the computer i can (after installing openCPN) pick up where i left off (waypoints, tracks, routes, more?) - many thanks - bruce
Old 18-02-2013, 20:38   #2

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: backing up openCPN files

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_on_ARIA View Post
hi - thanks for openCPN : i totally love it - Q: how best to back up openCPN so that if i have to replace the computer i can (after installing openCPN) pick up where i left off (waypoints, tracks, routes, more?) - many thanks - bruce
Hi Bruce,

While the gurus are busy with the new RC let me have a say.

I save all of the data I create in OpenCPN in folders under My Documents. Routes, Tracks, Anchorages, Miscellaneous (layers, other folks tracks, etc.).

I routinely make a backup of my computer to an external hard drive. Very convenient for crashes and also transfer to other computers.

HTH, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 04:30   #3

Boat: Najad 34

bruce...
And to add to Terry's note:
This refers to Windows but the intention is valid for other system as well:
1)
Nearly all your personal settings, loaded way points and routes etc will be saved if you copy the directory and sub folders where the log file is present. You'll find the location by using the question-marked icon in the tool bar. (In some win system you have to make hidden files visible)
In my case "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn"

2) (Optional. All is available at the opencpn.org download page))
For used plugins and possible adjusted color scheme in S57 charts copy from OCPN program files the sub directories "\plugins" and "\s57data".
In my case C:\program.......\opencpn\

More about this can be found in the excellent wiki as well. See OpenCPN User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

And of course... maybe most important. Don't forget to carefully back up your charts. Everything can with patience be redone but the charts.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 05:39   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Bruce...
You didn't say us on which system you are, so a general instruction:
Click on the ? icon in the toolbox and down on the "About" tab you will find a path to your config file location. Take the whole folder where it's located to the new machine and your new OpenCPN should behave exactly the same as the old one. Except plugins, but those you can download from the net.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:57   #5

Boat: mottle 33
Send a message via Skype™ to bruce on ARIA

many thanks - when you say save are you referring to the option in the opencpn Route Manager to "Export All" ?

(i am using 2.3.1 [on win 7 starter] because have been too scared to upgrade for fear of losing my stuff - am going to upgrade now)
bruce on ARIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:26   #6

bruce...
No, I'm refering to "Use your favourite way to copy files from place to place" - it's dependent on the operating system you are using... Backup everything that's in the folder, but the most valuable is navobj.xml - all your waypoints, routes and tracks...
Skipping this many versions is actually not that usual, so I wish you luck and let me know how it went, please. And once you are at it, don't loose your time and install the latest 3.1.1417 beta - it's way better and will be proclaimed 3.2 with maybe just some cosmetic changes.

Pavel
Old 19-02-2013, 18:31   #7

And on the new machine:
Install the latest version
Run it and find the path to the config file on the About tab
Close it
Replace the contents of the folder with config with what you saved before
Cross your fingers
Run it
Check that everything is allright and finish the configuration to suit your needs.
Let us know if you have any doubts

Pavel
Old 20-02-2013, 13:00   #8

BACKUP & INSTALL of OPCN

The more proficient and computer knowledgeable users should and must appreciate that there are a large number of users (and would be users) of OPCN who are not computer savvy and who would have difficulty in following the suggestions in this thread.

Surely it should be possible to design and implement a PLUG-IN which can do a full and complete back-up automatically.

I would recommend that a single unambiguous button linked to a PLUG-IN would be useful. This would automate the full back-up of the program with the minimum of input from the user

The OPCN install routine already checks the users host computer for an existing installation and then uses the information it finds to install or update the program and its files.

A back-up routine is surely the reversal of this process – it checks the users computer for all of the files and then backs them up in full. The only input required from the user would be to define a back-up location – either to the existing hard disk or to a portable USB disc.

The simplest and most efficient answer to back-up though is for the OPCN program and all of its associated files to be FULLY PORTABLE and operated entirely from a USB drive. This USB drive would be able to contain both the program and all of the users charts. If the users computer fails or he moves to another boat then it is a simple matter to move the USB stick to another computer.

I understand that there is already a procedure for creating a semi-portable version of OPCN but this still requires that there are specific files on the users host computer which completely defeats the object of portability.

I consider the best answer for ease of use and backing up would be a fully portable OPCN which can recognise the host computers operating system and does not need to install any files on it.

Alternatively if this is too difficult for the developers to implement then I would suggest a dedicated BACK-UP PLUG-IN be created.

Does anyone support this or are their any other suggestions available ?
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:36   #9

Boat: Najad 34

douwm10..
I’m a happy user and sometimes a limited beta tester. This said to not give the impression of being one of the extraordinary developers sharing there knowledge and efforts to us.

I see your point and can to some respect understand your message. But…my opinion:
OCPN is a program designed to be installed on a PC/MAC/LINUX and then bring it to the boat for use instead of or being a complement to a plotter.
The process to install the program and, not less, get some charts on one's own responsibility and load them in a recent way is not done without fundamental knowledge of how to copy files and similar actions. But it’s very enough with just a fundamental knowledge to use a stable version of OCPN. Everything for the user who just want a running program up to a skilled developer is described in the wiki/book.

The most simple backup is to have the charts and the installation file on a USB stick. If a user can manage that also the advice to copy the directory where the log file is located would be understandable? The latter to save created WP/routes and to avoid personalize OCPN once again.

What I trying to convey is that using OCPN is not to buy a expensive turnkey system with one button for on/off. But with the excellent wiki/book everyone with interest can manage it.

The portable function can actually run independently from a USB. What you need is a computer with a running operating system of the same type as the OCPN copy loaded onto it. That’s right. Your suggestion of an operating system adaptable backup can surely be managed if any of the voluntary developers round the world are interested. Why not put that idea on the thread for future requests?

If you want a totally independent safety backup that can run on nearly whatever computer you can find there is such a thing. An application called Navigatrix, use Google, that uses Opencpn. I have my own Navigatrix USB stick with a basic chart set for the occurrence of a crashed hard disk or similar.

To use OpenCPN is not absolutely turnkey but with a little effort and the wiki I claim everyone can enjoy it.

Oops...Many words. Hopefully my not at all native English could transfer my well-intentioned thoughts. I'm just satisfied with OCPN and the voluntaries coding it. And I trust you and many other are as well. And I know that usable future requests often trigger enthusiasts.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn