Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 11:07   #76

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: AutoTrackRaymarine_pi: Remote control and route following for Evolution Pilots

I have made a dedicated PCB, but you can also find cheap Hardware based on "BluePill" and ESP8266 (ESP12), adding a chip for the CAN bus, another for NMEA0183 and some transistors for Seatalk.

BluePill:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005..._1646506869546
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:24   #77

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: AutoTrackRaymarine_pi: Remote control and route following for Evolution Pilots

I start to share things: Electronic scheme and preliminary aspect of the gateway with Chinese remote.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qe0...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bn4...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bn4...ew?usp=sharing
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 15:09   #78

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
Rick,
Unfortunately, a gateway between OpenCPN and anything else (WiFi, NMEA2000, Seatalk, ...) will always be necessary.
That is why I have made a universal and economical one.
I have to find out how OpenSource works...

J.L.
Jose Luis, I totally agree, and I think your approach is probably the simplest and easiest approach.
Whether it is a low cost button or a fancier watch, or a phone app for the interface, I am sure that users will find the gateway invaluable. I find your development very exciting. It is the perfect companion for OpenCPN opening a direct window to N2K without troubles.

I think you should make a new thread here on CF under OpenCPN so others can ask questions and comment, etc. I don't really know what to title it, so I think you should do that.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 05:06   #79
3cp

This sound like a really good pi and I would like to try it out. But does it work with the Yacht Device YDNU-02 nmea2ooo -> USB adapter as well?
3cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 07:10   #80

Hi all
I would like to know if anyone has successfully used ShipModule's MiniPlex-3 instead of Actisense NGT-1 with Douwe Fokkema's OpenCPN "AutoTrackRaymarine Evo" plugin to send sentences over the N2K network.
maume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 13:24   #81

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I’m not sure if this is of any help. I ran into this signalK web based remote control for Raymarine and it works excellent. I’m thinking it’s more or less agnostic when it comes to nmea2000 to opencpn bridging and might make it possible to eliminate the Actisense hardware for routing. and custom opencpn. I’m not very knowledgeable le about the coding end of the stuff, but it might work. It’s open source too.
https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-autopilot
akopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 13:52   #82

Thanks akopac for the tip,
It all seems very complex to me, but I'll try to put it together.
maume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 14:57   #83

Boat: Hunter 34

Ive just installed this plug in and it looks great. I hope to get it running soon. Ive contacted my supplier of the Actisence NGT 1 and hes out of stock because its being replaced with NGW-1-STNG . Presumably this will work as well?
Old 16-02-2024, 09:44   #84

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterWanderer View Post
Ive just installed this plug in and it looks great. I hope to get it running soon. Ive contacted my supplier of the Actisence NGT 1 and hes out of stock because its being replaced with NGW-1-STNG . Presumably this will work as well?
Earlier this plugin only functioned with a NGT-1. But since OpenCPN supports nmea2000, the plugin will function with all supported nmea2000 interfaces that OpenCPN supports, NGT-1 is one of them. But your supplier is wrong, NGW-1 is a converter from nmea2000 to nmea0183, this is not a nmea2000 interface as required. NGT-1 is what you need, an interface that does not do conversion, but just connects your computer with nmea2000. Check the Actisense website, this NGT-1 is available and not replaced.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 15:10   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Earlier this plugin only functioned with a NGT-1. But since OpenCPN supports nmea2000, the plugin will function with all supported nmea2000 interfaces that OpenCPN supports, NGT-1 is one of them. But your supplier is wrong, NGW-1 is a converter from nmea2000 to nmea0183, this is not a nmea2000 interface as required. NGT-1 is what you need, an interface that does not do conversion, but just connects your computer with nmea2000. Check the Actisense website, this NGT-1 is available and not replaced.
Thanks for the reply. I will get back to him.
Just checking that its ok to have a usb NMEA 0183 data into Opencpn as that is the output from my AIS transponder and then have the Actisense NGT-1 on a second USB port outputing NMEA 2000 ?
I would prefer to have a single usb connection to the laptop and use a usb splitter. Will this work?
By the way I have the evo 200 autopilot with a P7 control and type 1 linear actuator.
Old 20-02-2024, 08:18   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterWanderer View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will get back to him.
Just checking that its ok to have a usb NMEA 0183 data into Opencpn as that is the output from my AIS transponder and then have the Actisense NGT-1 on a second USB port outputing NMEA 2000 ?
I would prefer to have a single usb connection to the laptop and use a usb splitter. Will this work?
By the way I have the evo 200 autopilot with a P7 control and type 1 linear actuator.

This should all be OK, it is more or less the same as I have on the boat.
Old 12-03-2024, 10:38   #87

Sorry. Got the wrong letters.
The Actisense NGT-1 is being superceded by NGX-1 . see:
https://www.yachtbits.com/actisense-...a-2000-gateway
Will this be compatible with Autotrack?
Im going with the old NGT-1 as its proven and there are still some left.
Old 13-03-2024, 00:14   #88
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Go to the page of Actisense:
https://actisense.com/products/?range=nmea-2000-range

Both products are listed there as actual ones.

The decription of the NGX explains the differences.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2024, 06:57   #89

The original (older) version of the AutoTrackRaymarine controlled the NGT-1 directly and only functioned with the NGT-1. Now OpenCPN supports nmea2000, we use OpenCPN to transmit and receive nmea2000 messages. So the AutoTrackRaymarine plugin will function with all nmea2000 interfaces on any platform that OpenCPN supports. So we are no longer dependent on the NGT-1 only.

Tags
marine, raymarine, remote, route